Solid Sound '13 Performers?

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be surprised if Low was not on the bill considering Jeff's production of their forthcoming album.

Also, was wondering if the Western Mass setting might be an attractive lure to either Dinosaur Jr or Sebadoh since both are reunited and made recent appearances in Northampton in 2012.

Tommy Stinson calls relatively nearby Hudson, NY home, so I wouldn't be shocked if he were contacted.

I'd really like it if Mike Watt could make it to Solid Sound one of these days as well.

One vote from me for Alabama Shakes! I'm hooked on them. I also think they would fit in very well. I would love to hear Brittney sing with Jeff. Maybe a song from the Band as a duet?

i love Alabama Shakes as well...Brittany's voice is a cross between Amy, Janis and Mavis Staples...good call!

i am hoping for a handful of curveballs like the amazing Pillow Wand set last year. Purling Hiss was also very cool...gotta figure that Nels and Glenn have some people in mind.

I like it when there are bands that I have never heard of at a festival - like Purling Hiss. They were pretty heavy, and a good find.

Well if YOU'VE never heard of them they can't be any good anyway, right?

I'm sure there's some wildly popular, completely shit act you could go see instead.

What a sad lack of musical curiosity.

easy now, big guy. i never said the acts weren't any good... my point was that most of the bands on the bill are bands i've never heard of, and the ones i am familiar with, i'm not all that interested in seeing. & you're right the "wildly popular, completely shit act" i could go see is my favorite band, wilco. 

easy now, big guy. i never said the acts weren't any good... my point was that most of the bands on the bill are bands i've never heard of, and the ones i am familiar with, i'm not all that interested in seeing. & you're right the "wildly popular, completely shit act" i could go see is my favorite band, wilco.

Hey, to each their own. You're missing out, though. I've been floored by many unknown opening bands over the years, and more than a few have gone on to be very well known. Some, unfortunately, remain quietly brilliant, but these are the ones I tend to love the most - because they persist despite the struggle. And believe me, it is a struggle.

have they announced any bands yet?

have they announced any bands yet?

I was referring to years previous--- sorry if that was unclear. I suppose the point I was trying to make is that SSF doesn't feature any band, aside from Wilco, that I actively seek out. maybe this year will be different...

regardless, i'm totally stoked for 2 nights of wilco. :rock

Hey, to each their own. You're missing out, though. I've been floored by many unknown opening bands over the years, and more than a few have gone on to be very well known. Some, unfortunately, remain quietly brilliant, but these are the ones I tend to love the most - because they persist despite the struggle. And believe me, it is a struggle.

I once saw this band, they opened  for The Replacements, I think they called themselves Uncle Tupelo, wonder whatever happened to those guys I kinda dug them.

I'm actually glad that the festival doesn't attract more than a couple of big name acts each year, because it would just increase my personal stress level in trying to schedule all these overlapping events. Knowing that the members of Wilco select the artists who do play, I figure they've got some credibility going in just on that basis. In both prior years, there have been some acts I was frustrated about having to miss because there was something else going on at the same time that I preferred, but that's just the nature of music festivals. Also, last year there were some last-minute surprise pop up events that were tweeted that I was glad to have the flexibility to run over to.

I hope the festival stays primarily focused on Wilco, their side projects, and related lower-profile acts that are handpicked by Wilco members, whether or not I've heard of them beforehand.

I once saw this band, they opened for The Replacements, I think they called themselves Uncle Tupelo, wonder whatever happened to those guys I kinda dug them.

A perfect example.

Also, I found out about that show (Toad's Place?) a couple days too late, so thanks for bringing up a painful memory. :)

I'm actually glad that the festival doesn't attract more than a couple of big name acts each year, because it would just increase my personal stress level in trying to schedule all these overlapping events. Knowing that the members of Wilco select the artists who do play, I figure they've got some credibility going in just on that basis. In both prior years, there have been some acts I was frustrated about having to miss because there was something else going on at the same time that I preferred, but that's just the nature of music festivals. Also, last year there were some last-minute surprise pop up events that were tweeted that I was glad to have the flexibility to run over to.

I hope the festival stays primarily focused on Wilco, their side projects, and related lower-profile acts that are handpicked by Wilco members, whether or not I've heard of them beforehand.

I couldn't agree more.

A perfect example.

Also, I found out about that show (Toad's Place?) a couple days too late, so thanks for bringing up a painful memory. :)

Yes, the Toads show, I was there for the Replacements, I didn't really know UT, someone had told me I'd like them so I didn't hang out at Demerys next door eating pizza and drinking cheap beer before the show like I would usually do, I'm so glad I went in!

I once saw this band, they opened  for The Replacements, I think they called themselves Uncle Tupelo, wonder whatever happened to those guys I kinda dug them.

Great point! I saw Wilco for the first time opening for Paul Westerberg.