Several reports are coming out that the Cubs have fired Dale Sveum.

Joe Girardi's recent comments:

Joe Girardi met with reporters today (Andy McCullough of the Star-Ledger provides a partial transcript) and admitted he has yet to make up his mind about returning to the Yankees next season. "It comes down to family. They are first," said Girardi. "Whatever is best for the group of us, not one individual, not me or just my wife, or just one of my children, whatever is best for us as a group, that’s what we’ll decide to do. And that’s something I put some thought into, and I’m going to have to think about a lot over the next few days, obviously." Girardi added money will not play a factor in his decision. 

Many have speculated Girardi could be the next Cubs manager, if Dale Sveum is fired. Girardi, however, downplayed the connection to his hometown. "I haven’t lived there since 2006. I have a brother still there, a couple brothers there, actually. But my father’s gone. My mother’s gone. So there’s not as much there as there used to be."

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gardenhire is staying with the Twins, and the Mets and Royals are keeping their managers. Eric Wedge has left Seattle, saying there's no contract that could have convinced him to stay, as he has a different philosophy on the direction of the franchise than one or more of the executives he answers to. Jim Leyland also has a contract coming to an end, but I think he's in year-to-year mode at this point in his career anyway. So there's probably only going to be three managerial openings, unless the Brewers and Padres cut Roenicke and Black (which is doubtful). I suppose the Rangers and/or Reds are possibilities, but I would guess that'd be only if they completely tank it early in the playoffs. I don't think the Angels want to eat five years of Scioscia's contract, but if the Nationals wanted to trade a quality player for him...

Wild card:

Pirates over Reds

Indians over Rays

ALDS:

Tigers over As

Redsox over Indians

NLDS

Cards over Pirates

Dodgers over Braves

ALCS

Tigers over Redsox

NLCS

Cards over Dodgers

World Series

Tigers over Cards

I don't see the tigers in the series. Stumbling  into the playoff...poor bullpen...

Wild card:

Pirates over Reds

Indians over Rays

ALDS:

Tigers over As

Redsox over Indians

NLDS

Cards over Pirates

Dodgers over Braves

ALCS

Tigers over Redsox

NLCS

Cards over Dodgers

World Series

Tigers over Cards

I see the Pirates going deep and for sure beating the Cards, they looked good last night.  

I don't see the tigers in the series. Stumbling  into the playoff...poor bullpen...

I don't know about stumbling into the playoffs. They went 11-4 to clinch the division, then sent in their b-squad to play out the season against the Marlins.

But their bullpen, yes. Poor. They'll be leaning heavily on their starting rotation, which is the best in either league. 

id like to see a pirates/dodgers nlcs, but i dont know how much faith i have in the bucs getting past the cardinals. then again, pirates/braves could be a nice sense of closure for the pittsburgh faithful

my hope is for a pirates/a's series, but dodgers/red sox seems most likely. 

either way, lots of interesting angles to these playoffs. should be fun.

I don't know about stumbling into the playoffs. They went 11-4 to clinch the division, then sent in their b-squad to play out the season against the Marlins.

But their bullpen, yes. Poor. They'll be leaning heavily on their starting rotation, which is the best in either league.

By stumbling into the playoffs I was referring to getting NO HIT on the final game of the season. May have been the b-squad, but pride should have counted for something there.

As much as I respect and admire Leyland, I wonder about him at times.

And what's the deal with Fielder? Any idea what is up with him?

Prob the worst offensive year of his career.

I would guess the divorce.  Which is too bad.  I really liked him when he played in Milwaukee.  But I never thought he was as good as the Tiger's contract said he was.  

I would guess the divorce.  Which is too bad.  I really liked him when he played in Milwaukee.  But I never thought he was as good as the Tiger's contract said he was.  

The Tigers contract was more about Illitch being haunted by a chess-match-offering Reaper, plus Illitch inventing his own legend about this kid whom he used to see hitting homeruns while the kid's papa played for the Tigers, plus Illitch just wanting one cot-damned ring before he croaks.

There's no way Fielder will live up to that contract, but as a fan, I don't really care. Illitch can spend his money any way he wants. It's the first time the Tigers have been in the post-season 3 straight years since Ty Cobb graced their roster, and that's pretty, pretty, pretty good.

The Tigers contract was more about Illitch being haunted by a chess-match-offering Reaper, plus Illitch inventing his own legend about this kid whom he used to see hitting homeruns while the kid's papa played for the Tigers, plus Illitch just wanting one cot-damned ring before he croaks.

There's no way Fielder will live up to that contract, but as a fan, I don't really care. Illitch can spend his money any way he wants. It's the first time the Tigers have been in the post-season 3 straight years since Ty Cobb graced their roster, and that's pretty, pretty, pretty good.

No matter how bad Fielder's contract is and how crazy Illitch is, it will never match the insanity of Pujols' and Hamilton's contracts and Arte Moreno batshit crazy moves in the last two years.

Not even going to bring up the CJ Wilson contract.

I worried a little when the Red Sox lost game 3 because the Rays' pitching can be so dominant so I was glad they closed it out last night.

Back in the spring some analyst wrote about how Koji Uehara could be the key to the Red Sox pitching staff and boy was that right.  He had quite a remarkable season. 

Joe Girardi is staying with the Yankees for the next four years.

Cal Ripken has been saying the last few weeks that he wants to be actively involved in baseball again now that his kids are off to college. A conversation with Don Mattingly has him strongly considering becoming a manager. There are wild rumors floating around Ripken being a candidate for the open D.C. job. Jayson Werth has publicly said he wants Ripken. So far no word from the Nationals as to whether they consider Ripken a candidate. It'd be strange seeing The Iron Man in anything but an Orioles uniform, and I'm sure the fans in Baltimore would have a hard time with him being involved with the other team in their area.