Pitchers and Catchers report is less than three weeks...time for  the official 2013 Baseball season thread.

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SoxFest is going on this weekend here in Chicago - one of these days I am going to head down there. Do all teams have a "Fest"? I suspect they do, it's great for the fans as well as the team, in general.

Definitely, at least at Soxfests, players and managers get jeered and booed, but from what I hear from various friends, it is always a fun weekend. (CubFest is next week).

January 26 Predictions

NL East

Washington

NL Central

Cincinnati Reds

NL West

LA Dodgers

Wild Cards

Atlanta

St. Louis

AL East

Toronto

AL Central

Detroit

AL West

Texas

Wild Cards

Balimore

LA

Defend and analyze your favorite team!!!

Maybe I'm too close to the Rangers, but I think that they are still the best team in the West. While they have some questions, they still have strong pitching and this lineup will rake even without Josh Hamilton.

It's a really different picture that it was when I was hearing strong rumblings that the Rangers might end up with Greinke, Hamilton AND Upton. Daniels has always had a plan b. When Cliff Lee jilted them to go back to Phillie, he signed Adrian Beltre. A big win there. When he decided to let CJ walk and went all in on Darvish, it more than panned out. I'm hoping that standing pat after the disappointments is the right move, but there're are still some  rumors out there. I discount any supposed interest in Michale Bourn and Kyle Lohse is probably only an option if he has no suitors in a couple of weeks and the Rangers are feeling like they need a stronger option in the rotation.

The Rangers won 93 games last year even with an epic September collapse. They won 93 games with subpar (if not terrible) years from Ian Kinsler, Nelson Cruz, Mike Napoli and Mike Young and having Josh Hamilton effectivey disappear for the better part of three months.

No longer will the Rangers be dependent on an immature, man-child. Hamilton is a beast when he is there mentally and emotionally; but there were increasing moments of disinterest and lackidasical play. If you managed to watch the last week of the Rangers season and the wild card playoff, you saw the absolute picture of the negatives that Hamilton can bring to the table. When the Rangers needed him most, he checked out...physically and emotionally. He was a distraction and you get the feeling that while his team mates will miss his bat, they won't miss his drama at all.

Michael Young was clearly in decline last year. He was the face of the Rangers and was a really good player for them for a decade. But after a spectacular 2011, he drastically declined in 2012. Whether he can rebound next year is Philadelphia's problem.

Napoli had a terrible year. Forget the OPS+ of 110, for a significant part of the season he was an automatic out. He spent a significant amount of time on the DL both his years in Texas and he really didn't look right last year.

Nellie Cruz was inconsistent, to overuse a phrase. But when he's right, he can carry a team. This is his free agent year, so we'll see if it pushes him to a complete year. 

The Rangers do have the best third baseman in baseball in Adrian Beltre. He is hands down the best free agent signing the Rangers have ever made (even better than Nolan Ryan). He routinely makes the spectacular play in the field and his bat is sterling.

Elvis Andrus is a budding superstar. While I would not have been adverse to trading him for Justin Upton, he has the tools to make him a memorable short stop. The only things that make him expendalbe is the wealth of middle infield talent in the  minors and the fact he is a Scott Boras Client.

Mitch Moreland might be really good at first now that he is healthy. He was the Rangers minor league player of the year a couple of years ago. He has some serious power (He hit the speaker in Tampa Bay). Now all he need to do is stay healthy. The Rangers gave up on Chris Davis too quickly; the won't make the same mistake with Moreland.

David Murphy had his best season last year and it paid off for him. He got some money and now he's the everyday left fielder. We'll see if he can hit lefthanded pitching effectively this year.

Berkman should be a nice fit at DH and first. He's a good veteran switch hitter, and the Rangers are really counting on his lefthanded power.

AJ Pierzynski should be better than anything the Rangers rolled out at catcher last year. Soto will see some significant time, and if he can hit his weight, he'll be a positive.

I keep hearing rumblings that the Rangers are interested in Michael Bourn (although this is probably Scott Boras floating a balloon to keep people interested in his client). I think the Rangers need to see what Leonys Martin has to offer. He was supposedly the second best Cuban Player after Cespedes. He's still a baby at 24, but potential eventually needs to produce. Plus the Rangers best signing of the offseason, hitting coach Dave Magadan, thinks Martin has limitless potential and will be a star.

And sometime this year, we will see Profar and Olt up for good.  

The pitching is better than many credit. Darvish proved he can handle major league batters and should be better in his sophomore year. Matt Harrison is the most overlooked 18-games winner in the game. Holland is still just 26...the light will go on for him one day. He's a young, hard throwing lefthander. They don't grow on trees. Ogando proved what he can do as a starter in a half season in 2011. With an entire off season to work on his condtioning, he'll be more than fine. Until Lewis makes it back in early May, the Rangers will probably go to Martin Perez. He was their best pitching prospect a couple of years ago, but he has regressed a bit. Justin Grimm might be the one, he  did alright in his stint last year.

The bullpen has been revamped fro a really good group from 2012. Nathan did exceptionally well last year as a closer, and if he falters, Joakim Soria has a really good history as a closer. Robbie Ross was REALLY good last year and should excell in the middle relief role if his arm stays sound. Neftail Feliz should be ready mid-seasonish. Wehether he stays in the pen or makes the rotation...he has a great arm and will be an asset in any role. There will be some arms move back and forth between the minors and the bigs, but I expect Tanner scheppers and Michael Kirkman to be contributors.

If the Rangers sign Kyle Lohse (which is still being bandied about...that would be plan D for this offseason), then the Rotation will be one of the best in Baseball.

Projected lineup (my version) against Righties

1. Ian Kinsler 2b

2. Elvis Andrus SS

3. Lance Berkman DH

4. Adrian Beltre 3b

5. Nelson Cruz RF

6. David Murphy lf

7. A.J. Pierzynski c

8. Mitch Moreland 1b

9. Leonys Martin cf

Rotation (assuming no other signings)

Darvish

Harrison

Holland

Ogando

Perez (until Lewis is back)

If Lohse is signed, he's either the #1 and everybody else moves down a slot or he's the #2.

Bullpen

Nathan

Soria

Ross

Scheppers

Kirkman

I've seen projections where Josh Lindbloom will be in the bigs, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Grimm  or maybe even Wilmer Font seeing significant time in Arlington.

This team was really shaken by game 6 of the 2011 series. tThey played like they felt they had the west won by acclaimation. With Young, Hamilton and Napoli gone, they have subtracted players who disappointed in one shape or fashion last year. While the free agent signings were at best stop gap, they should effectively plug gaps until the youngsters are ready. Profar and Olt need to be playing at the big league club by June. The future is now. It's time the prospects become producers.

It will difficult for Oakland to recapture the magic of 2012. And the Angels still have the same questions they did last year. They did add Josh Hamilton, but they also lost Kendrys Morales and Tori Wells. But their starting pitching is a big question mark.

I thinkthe Rangers will either roll along nicely and not skip a beat, ot they will finish third.

i don't believe the rangers will win 93 this year- not hatin' but i just don't see it.

that said i'm a diehard phils phan, and, well, my  fingers and toes are crossed for ALOT of things to fall into place.....

rangers/ phils WS = OK w me.

no matter- my freshmancollege boy and i are off to clearwater beach  for the training of the spring on 3/1.

3 games 3 stadiums, all phillies.

we went when he was 10.

we went when he was 14.

now he's 18.

and we will observe some scientologists, too. i'm kind of obsessed with those, um, folks.

and i'll cry like a little boy when we have a catch on the beach.

cause we're definitely packing the leather.

The Phillies got old fast and spent too much money on their starting rotation. They would have been better off trading Cliff Lee at the deadline for some sweet prospects.

Defend and analyze your favorite team!!!

Crow that was a deep commitment, there is no way I get to that level of commitment, at this point, in discussing my beloved Cubbies.  

Though I will say this about this Cubs.  They are not there yet, but I think they are better then people think.  They have a young core, with experience.  The bullpen is shaky at best and starting rotation, while not horrible, does not strike fear in opposing lineups.  Also I think I am the only person in Chicago that likes Alfonso Soriano.  This year will be one of his better years with the Cubs.  He'll hit .300ish with 120 RBI and 36 HR.   

My prediction 80 - 85 wins and an outside chance at a wildcard spot.  

The Phillies got old fast and spent too much money on their starting rotation. They would have been better off trading Cliff Lee at the deadline for some sweet prospects.

They also acquired within just this off-season, Michael Young(!), Delmon Young(!!), and Yuniesky Betancourt!!! 

They also acquired within just this off-season, Michael Young(!), Delmon Young(!!), and Yuniesky Betancourt!!! 

At least you guys have a World Series win within the last decade.

I've been thinking Reuben Amaro started believing his press...

Oh, not "us guys".  I'm not a Phillies fan, just a jerk who wanted to point out their crazy off season.  I'm a Tigers fan, so no actual World Series win in 29 years (though it sure feels like it's gonna happen one of these days, maybe?)

don't forget chad durbin, ben revere (good), and ahem, mike adams!

Oh, not "us guys".  I'm not a Phillies fan, just a jerk who wanted to point out their crazy off season.  I'm a Tigers fan, so no actual World Series win in 29 years (though it sure feels like it's gonna happen one of these days, maybe?)

The Tigers are a confusing bunch.

With that lineup, you'd think they would just rake and run away with the Central.

Crow that was a deep commitment, there is no way I get to that level of commitment, at this point, in discussing my beloved Cubbies.  

Though I will say this about this Cubs.  They are not there yet, but I think they are better then people think.  They have a young core, with experience.  The bullpen is shaky at best and starting rotation, while not horrible, does not strike fear in opposing lineups.  Also I think I am the only person in Chicago that likes Alfonso Soriano.  This year will be one of his better years with the Cubs.  He'll hit .300ish with 120 RBI and 36 HR.   

My prediction 80 - 85 wins and an outside chance at a wildcard spot.  

now that's optimism

unless the nats/braves, reds/cardinals/brewers, dodgers/giants all beat each other up so bad all season, no way do the wild card spots go to anyone else. theres some almost great teams in the nl (cubs and pirates among them) but id be shocked if the playoffs see anyone outside of those teams.

id love to be wrong though. (just not about the nats )

With that lineup, you'd think they would just rake and run away with the Central.

Well, they did run away with it two years ago, but got beat in the ALCS. Last year, they scraped by, but got to the WS.

That's the first time they've made the post-season in two consecutive years since the 30s.

A higher win percentage within the division isn't the goal - the goal is the WS.

A couple of thoughts about the allegations that Nelson Cruz was doping:

Proof positive that doping won't lead to transcendent offensive numbers

of

He must really suck if his 2012 numbers are PED influenced

Seriously though, even though Cruz is really inconsistent, I don't want to even begin to think how the Rangers replace him for 50 games in RF.

I think they probably will.  They won by a few games last year, and should be better this year than last.  They upgraded a lot in RF (from a black hole to Torii Hunter), at DH (from Delmon Young to Victor Martinez), and at 2B (Omar Infante for a full season).  Infante is probably the weakest overall hitter in the line-up, but still a huge improvement over the Ramon Santiago/Ryan Raburn/Brandon Inge combo that they used at 2B before they acquired him.  The ace is maybe the best in baseball, and the

1-4 starters are among the best rotations in the game (and a not bad #5 if either Porcello or Smyly get the job). The bullpen has some question marks but should be decent, especially considering they shouldn't have to work a very heavy load. The infield defense will still be bad, but I don't think bad enough to sink the team, just as it didn't sink them last year.

Also, the team that was closest to them last year, the White Sox, didn't really do much this off-season to improve.  The Royals have definitely improved since last season, though I don't think enough to make a run at the division just yet.  I think the Indians are still another year or two away, and the Twins are just bad right now.  Of course there are things that could happen that could stop the Tigers from running away with it (injuries, slumps, all the Royals young guys all breaking out in the same year, etc.) but I think the Tigers running away with it is probably the most likely outcome.  

Seriously though, even though Cruz is really inconsistent, I don't want to even begin to think how the Rangers replace him for 50 games in RF.

Maybe the Rangers will be kind enough to accept Brennan Boesch?

John Daniels definitely drew a line in the sand this offseason. The decision to not trade any of the prospects will either set the franchise back a couple of years, or be might payoff in the future.

But, by June, if Olt and Profar as well as Perez are still in the minors....

Why couldn't Nelson Cruz have given any PEDs to Michael Young last year?  He clearly needed them.  We could still be celebrating a World Series win.

Given PEDS to Michael Young and given Nicotine patches to Hamilton.

Unkind over and under from a bitter Rangers fan (think this is an over/under...gambling is not really my area of degeneracy)

Which happens first this season---Hamilton caught doing a bump off Lindsay Lohan's ass in a bathroom stall at Leonardo's or Ron Washington saying "that's the way baseball go" for the 50th time.

I'd say a better chance of Josh and Ron doing bumps together between innings.

Not a real possibility anymore.

Not to bash on Hamilton like a jilted lover, but his mindset would scare the hell out of me.

There are two incidents with booze and chicks since 2009. He only admitted to them after DEAD SPIN posted pictures. I wonder how many other 'incidents' there are that haven't come to light because there weren't any cell phone pictures.

Not a real possibility anymore.

Not to bash on Hamilton like a jilted lover, but his mindset would scare the hell out of me.

There are two incidents with booze and chicks since 2009. He only admitted to them after DEAD SPIN posted pictures. I wonder how many other 'incidents' there are that haven't come to light because there weren't any cell phone pictures.

In today's world, I don't think there is anytime where there is not a cell phone picture. 

In today's world, I don't think there is anytime where there is not a cell phone picture. 

Unless he wasn't in a bar.

Listen, the stories on this guy and the accomodations that the team and his family have to make are really amazing.

My favorite is his wife won't let him have a credit card or carry cash. She follows him to the gas station and pays for the gas so he won't have any money.

I can't fault Daniels for not pulling the trigger.At least now if the phone rings at 3am, he won't have to worry if the $125 million investment  he made for the ball club just did a bump off a strippers tits, tore apart a bar and is in jail.

Now he can worry about his idiot right fielder  doing PEDs.