The Cardinals bullpen has struggled so far this season, so they're calling up and giving a spot to a young man I saw pitch all throughout his college career. Seth Maness may not be a dominant pitcher, but he just may be the stingiest with giving up free passes. Last season, mostly in AA, dude was 14-4 and issued only 10 walks in 170 innings.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just want to say I really love afternoon baseball.  Listening to games at work is a joy.  I know it will never happen but I would love more day games, and Twi-night doubleheaders.  

i think the article was a bit over the top, but i also think it is a no brainer that ortiz is cheating somehow.  

and i have a lot of friends from the dominican republic.

Shame what happened to the As a few days ago. MLB umpire are a thick-headed bunch. MLB needs to do what the NHL does and have a central office where "experts" review close calls like that in real time. An objective person/persons that can review tape and give a quick response when warranted. That was a horseshit way to lose a game they potentially could have won.

Shame what happened to the As a few days ago. MLB umpire are a thick-headed bunch. MLB needs to do what the NHL does and have a central office where "experts" review close calls like that in real time. An objective person/persons that can review tape and give a quick response when warranted. That was a horseshit way to lose a game they potentially could have won.

If Hawk Harrelson was calling that game, he would have had a heart attack from yelling so much - Wow that was a bad call...

just saw this for the first time. unbelievable

im all for maintaining the "human element" to some extent, but when you have video review basically limited to this scenario and this scenario only and you still fuck it up? no excuse. if a tv crew can produce decisive footage theres no reason the umps couldnt see the same shot

Peter Gammons' take is interesting

Basically, umps don't like to reverse their own call, evidence be damned.

Will read the Gammo piece later but shit yeah that's the truth. It's like a betrayal or something to their brethren. Strong union, too.

Another reason why having a non-biased opinion from a stake-holder in an office far away would be the best bet. The argument that it would slow down the (already long) game is horseshit, too, as the need to go to the video review booth would not be needed very often and would likely only take a half minute or so. You want to speed the game up, don't let Josh Beckett take over a minute between pitches....

Angel Hernandez has been a bad ump for a long time. He was acting crew chief that night, with younger umpires on his crew. I would have liked to have been a fly on the wall with the other guys saying, "Ah...ahhh...yeah...you're right Mr. Hernandez...it hit...the...wall...ok...sure." I'm not sure there'd be a different result if Joe West, the actual crew chief, had been there that night. Got to be the worst crew in the game, although last night's Angels-Astros crew are a contender.

I, generally, think the umpires do an excellent job. Their collective ego, however, is prohibiting the game from being fairer with the use of a video review crew. I guess Selig has a hand in this, too. 

but why is it a no brainer?

if its such a no brainer why is the league consistently failing to catch him via testing?

No brainer is overstated. But I do not think it is controversial to raise the issue specific to Ortiz.

If Sosa were still hitting .421 in 2013, I would feel the same way.

No brainer is overstated. But I do not think it is controversial to raise the issue specific to Ortiz.

Sammy Sosa is 7 years older than David Ortiz.  Of course it is controversial to make an accusation with no evidence other than speculation and innuendo.  Are you serious?

its not controversial to raise the issue solely cuz a guy is kinda old and still kinda good? come on now. 

if ortiz has been tested like he claims he has been, theres no basis for this whatsoever, and accusing him anyway is terrible.

Sammy Sosa is 7 years older than David Ortiz.  Of course it is controversial to make an accusation with no evidence other than speculation and innuendo.  Are you serious?

not really.  but ortiz has cheated before and must deal with the speculation, which may be unjustified but is not racist.  

And a jackass. And a hack. And a blowhard. And a dickhead.

i agree.  not defending him.   should not have said anything.  

I think ortiz's start is interesting.  maybe leave it at that.

questioning ortiz is not racist.   Shaughnessy probably is.