Got a text from a friend at 1:25 am. Saw it at 5:15. Devastated, but touched by all the well-deserved attention he's getting. He gets a lot of grief for his 80's sell out; but, to me, finding him at that time was a first step into a large world of underground music.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A great artist will be greatly missed.  He influenced countless musicians.  One of the best ever.  Top of the pyramid (rock and roll) for sure.

What a career, also was ahead of his time in business.  Remember Bowie Bonds.

Genius for sure.

So many great performances...here is one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydLcs4VrjZQ

David Sanborn and Luther V.

This was before it came out I think.

Came home from work tonight to play some Bowie vinyl, which I haven't done in years. I get to Let's Dance, and I see in the liner notes SRV is the lead guitar player on this album. I had no memory of that. Definitely snapped my head back. RIP Mr. Stardust/Thin White Duke.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Came home from work tonight to play some Bowie vinyl, which I haven't done in years. I get to Let's Dance, and I see in the liner notes SRV is the lead guitar player on this album. I had no memory of that. Definitely snapped my head back. RIP Mr. Stardust/Thin White Duke.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Funny, I saw my brother last week, and he had no memory of SRV on that either.

I thought SRV's contributions were limited to that bouncy intro to Modern Love?

SRV is listed in the liner notes as a member of the band on "lead guitar."  Not listed as to any specific song. Nile Rogers is listed as "guitar."  I assume from that SRV plays throughout the record, or at least every guitar lead on the record. 

This was taken from a good friends facebook post yesterday i thought i would share. He is one of the most passionate Bowie fans i know: 

In 2010 I was in talks with David Bowie's management to do a documentary restoring Bowie's vast video archives in the process. My team at Post Op and I put together a trailer for the proposed doc which is up on our homepage now. The doc didn't happen but David watched the trailer 5 times and loved it. One of the greatest moments of my professional life.

http://www.post-op.com/

This was taken from a good friends facebook post yesterday i thought i would share He is one of the most passionate Bowie fans i know:

In 2010 I was in talks with David Bowie's management to do a documentary restoring Bowie's vast video archives in the process. My team at Post Op and I put together a trailer for the proposed doc which is up on our homepage now. The doc didn't happen but David watched the trailer 5 times and loved it. One of the greatest moments of my professional life.

http://www.post-op.com/

Very cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recall reading about this when it was first announced - sort of:

“Sailor."

That's the name David Bowie was known to go by on BowieNet, his Internet service provider that doubled as an interactive fan club.

Launched in September 1998, BowieNet offered the era's standard Internet access and online storage for a $19.95 monthly fee. But it stood out by promising users a your.name@davidbowie.com email address, plus chat forums, along with exclusive audio, video and photos. For $5.95 a month, anyone who wanted to stick with their old ISP could still access all BowieNet had to offer. An early online music fan community was born.

Since Bowie's death on Sunday at age 69 following treatment for cancer, an outpouring of tributes has addressed the singer-songwriter and producer's vast influence on music, fashion and art. His ISP fits into a narrative of Bowie as a pioneer of business and technology as well, arriving as it did amid 1996's "Telling Lies," one of the first singles released for download; 1997's "Bowie Bonds," securities that allowed the artist to raise $55 million against his future royalties, and 1999's Bowiebanc.com, an online bank.

Perhaps most of all, though, digital music industry veterans say, BowieNet -- coming years ahead of Friendster, MySpace and YouTube, to say nothing of Twitter, Facebook or Instagram -- showed prescience about the interactive, back-and-forth nature of fandom in the Internet era. In this, as in nearly everything else, Bowie was the man who fell to Earth, the superstar who descended into cyberspace.

"He was really engaged with folks for a period of a few years there," says Paul DeGooyer, principal at Relative Comfort, a consultancy focusing on music in the interactive space. "It predated Twitter as a platform, but people really had that sort of direct connection to him."

A pre-launch website for BowieNet touted the service as "an exclusive virtual backstage pass to David, the world of music and full, uncensored access to the internet customized for the music fan." That backstage pass extended as far as what was billed as the first "cyber song," Bowie singing lyrics written by a fan contest winner named Alex Grant as BowieNet users watched via webcam; the track, "What's Really Happening?" ended up appearing on Bowie's 1999 album, 'Hours…', and attempts to track down Grant were unsuccessful. BowieNet also included video games, live streams and a 3D virtual chat environment that predated Second Life.

Bowie stated in a December 1998 press release: "I wanted to create an environment where not just my fans, but all music fans could be part of a single community where vast archives of music and information could be accessed, views stated and ideas exchanged."

DeGooyer says Bowie was essentially treating the online platform the way he treated his music. "If you look at his musical career, he has a kernel of an idea he assembles people around based on where he thinks it could go and he lets stuff happen," DeGooyer explains. "It's all very intentional but it allows for accidents. My take on BowieNet is that's very much how it played out."

To be sure, Bowie wasn't the first artist to offer fans an online subscription service. Though not an ISP, Todd Rundgren -- also known for his future-forward approach thinking on technology -- introduced his PatroNet musical offering, slightly predating BowieNet. Prince followed in 2001 with the NPG Music Club.

"This wouldn't work for most artists," recalls Ted Cohen, managing partner at digital entertainment consultancy TAG Partners. "Todd, Bowie and Prince were all really innovative in figuring out ways to make this fan connection work."

I recall Stevie being pissed off at Bowie for appearing to play SRV's guitar part in the Let's Dance video, and refusing to tour based on that. But that's my 42 year old brain trying to recall something my 11 year old brain took in.