^^^ The Museum of Contemporary Art in Chicago had an incredible Bowie installation at the end of last year.  Stunning both visually and aurally. 

I wish I would have gone. We looked into going, (too late), but the only times we had free were either sold out or some other excuse - pregnant wife, out of work... Attending a Bowie exhibit got bumped down the priority list.

There was a segment - immediately following his Philly Soul / Young Americans phase, where he said he was bored, and so then set out to "create a new language" resulting in Low. That kind of blunt assessment, and fearless declaration to boldly move in a new direction is incredible. I can imagine Mick Jagger, who I imagine as a shrewd and brilliant businessman, and not so much an innovator being very jealous of Bowie's penchant to continually reinvent himself. 

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...

Dreaming about a tour. After his last album, Iman dropped a hint at one, but I imagine he's probably done giving his health.

It would be awesome! People have really been clamoring for him to tour again... I was fortunate enough to see his last headlining US show back in 2004! It was really enjoyable...lets keep our fingers crossed!

Here was the setlist of the show I went to!

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/david-bowie/2004/pnc-bank-arts-center-holmdel-nj-1bd4597c.html

^^ Damn, I can't believe he played The Supermen.

As far as a tour goes, at best, he'll do a show or two in NYC, London, maybe Berlin or Paris.  There's no way he'll stage a full tour, but if he does I will be there.

• 1 month later...

An audible murmur among the commuters on the train as the news broke. More of a greatest hits fan myself, but of course recognise the enormity of his contribution. Sorrow is one of my favourite cover songs, and at the time when I came closest to ever strutting my stuff, Modern Love was one of the tunes to be on my feet to.

As an aside, ex-wife Angie is stuck in the Celebrity Big Brother house on UK TV. Suppose she will get the option of leaving, though from some of her barbed comments she might not be too bothered ...

I was just listening to his new album yesterday and marveling that he's still got it.

Damn, this one hurts. I'm still a bit stunned.

I heard the news in the car on my way in to work this morning and I screamed, "WHAT?!" out loud and just about swerved off the road.

Very surprising and sad.  When he was good, Bowie was other-worldly.  I saw the excellent Bowie installation at the Museum of Contemporary Art in Chicago last year and gained a whole new level of appreciation and respect for his music and art.  Ironically, Greg Kot's favorable review of Black Star was in this morning's Tribune. RIP.

This one hits me harder than any other celebrity death that I can remember.  I heard he had been fighting illness, but I guess I thought he was winning that battle.  It's incredible that he managed to give us one more record.  I'm very thankful for that.

In the 70s the #1 song from a Euro Band,perhaps even played more than Money by Floyd on WBCN in Boston, was Space Oddity. It formed a foundation of listening to Bowie from my very early Teen Years.

In poking around this morning I recalled that Fame was co - written by John Lennon and Bowies Guitarist.

Additionally I uncovered a nice story from of all people Ricky Gervais about Bowie from years ago..

Rest in Peace Rock God