• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw a documentary once somewhere that had an interview with the guy who played the piano parts on the Aladdin Sane album. I recall it was rather interesting. 

It's at the around 47 min mark of this documentary. I have binge watched most of the youtube stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRiTngOAQps 

I am having a surprisingly hard time with this. I am bereft and weepy. I can only express this here, where I feel safe. I posted this elsewhere yesterday. I thought you all should know:
 "He was the one you were attracted to if you suspected that you weren’t exactly from around here."

That's kind of it in a nutshell. Watching The Man Who Fell To Earth when we were teenagers steeped the Bowie myth ever stronger. I am still not sure he wasn't an alien come to earth in search of water, creating

his own reality as he went along. And then to peel off yet another layer to exit this planet. 

Something in all of us fans resonated strongly with that magik. 

Right there with you. I've been home from work a lot this week so I've had time to go down the Bowie wormholes. From age 13, he was a favorite. Throughout all of high school, probably THE favorite. His music shaped so much of me. It was so weird to wake up to a text from a friend Monday morning. I'd spent much of the weekend listening to a TON of Bowie, after listen to Blackstar 3 or 4 times. I especially listened to some things I'd ignored for a long time (some, it turns out, for good reason). Then, boom, he's gone. Damn!

Three things have made me really get weepy. 

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CYdOTs6WcAAYPC5.png

https://twitter.com/mydaughtersarmy/status/686672709359656961

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj2-i7l2YeQ

It's at the around 47 min mark of this documentary. I have binge watched most of the youtube stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRiTngOAQps 

I saw this last night and it was really well done I think.

I am having a surprisingly hard time with this. I am bereft and weepy. I can only express this here, where I feel safe. I posted this elsewhere yesterday. I thought you all should know:

"He was the one you were attracted to if you suspected that you weren’t exactly from around here."

That's kind of it in a nutshell. Watching The Man Who Fell To Earth when we were teenagers steeped the Bowie myth ever stronger. I am still not sure he wasn't an alien come to earth in search of water, creating

his own reality as he went along. And then to peel off yet another layer to exit this planet. 

Something in all of us fans resonated strongly with that magik. 

Yes. We had a little chat in the flatlands about "The Man Who Fell To Earth". Among many other things regarding Bowie that movie really struck me as 'something', and I'm still not sure what!

I guess that's sort of the point. When that cat arrived on the scene (in the States anyway) it was so obvious that we'd never seen anything like this before. And that happened more than once during that period. I was watching a Dec. '78 video from Tokyo and it struck me hard that David sort of invented the New Romantic period as well. There's a shitload of pretty good bands that took that aesthetic and made a bit of coin out of it.   

Right there with you. I've been home from work a lot this week so I've had time to go down the Bowie wormholes. From age 13, he was a favorite. Throughout all of high school, probably THE favorite. His music shaped so much of me. It was so weird to wake up to a text from a friend Monday morning. I'd spent much of the weekend listening to a TON of Bowie, after listen to Blackstar 3 or 4 times. I especially listened to some things I'd ignored for a long time (some, it turns out, for good reason). Then, boom, he's gone. Damn!

Three things have made me really get weepy. 

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CYdOTs6WcAAYPC5.png

https://twitter.com/mydaughtersarmy/status/686672709359656961

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj2-i7l2YeQ

That last one reminds me of Garcia's mourning a lot. That sort of thing was in damn near every major city in Aug '95.

I hope the tributes are fantastic everywhere. It's certainly deserved.

some words from the guy on the left:
12507589_10208535218126827_6840623732563

Since David’s death I have had many media requests for interviews regarding spending his first day in the U.S. with him in Silver Spring, Maryland. I have done a couple of interviews this morning. Instead of spending the next two days doing interviews, I am writing this piece and will point journalists to my Facebook page to fill them in.

As background, I wrote a weekly interview column in the Washington Star from 1967 to 1973 (age 19 to 25). I interviewed over 300 major artists including Janis Joplin, Otis Redding, The Doors, James Brown, Led Zeppelin and, of course, David Bowie. My first column on David Bowie was in August of 1969.
Now, let’s fast forward to January of 1971. My brother, Ron, was Director of Publicity for Mercury Records (Bowie’s American label at the time). David was already a star in Great Britain and Europe…but he hadn’t really broken big in the U.S. Ron decided to bring David to America to do a promotional tour and meet the press, DJ’s and others who could help David’s career in the U.S. 
David flew from London to Dulles airport in Virginia. He was held in customs for a few hours just because of the way he dressed (shame on you customs people!). My parents and I picked David up at Dulles and brought him back to my parent’s home on Admiralty Drive in Silver Spring. This was David’s first day ever in the U.S. He was delighted to spend it with an American family. David and I already had a connection from a brief 1969 phone conversation for my column (column is attached to this post).

We spent a couple of hours chatting in my parent’s living room. A lot of the discussion was about the theater and stage acting. After some refreshments, we all went to Emersons Restaurant in Silver Spring (not Hofberg’s Deli as some publications have reported). The hostess at the restaurant seated us in a booth and proceeded to close the curtains on our booth. We all had a good laugh over that.
After dinner, we took my parents back home. David, my brother and I went back to my house in Takoma Park. Besides writing for the Star, I also managed a band called Claude Jones and had co-managed a band called Sky Cobb. When we got to my house, the members of Sky Cobb were in my living room…passing a bong around. The band didn’t even try to communicate with David…something that some of them regret to this day. David had never seen a bong before…and, no, he did not partake of the substance in the bong.

Late that night, David went to his hotel in DC and left the next day. An interesting fact for all Bowie fans: David went to Mercury Records headquarters on East Wacker Drive in Chicago. Mercury had signed an oddball artist from Texas named the Legendary Stardust Cowboy. My brother played David a song by that artist. The song was a minor hit called “Paralyzed.” David was intrigued. My brother arranged for David to fly to Texas to meet the Legendary Stardust Cowboy. David was blown away and adopted “Stardust” for his new persona, Ziggy Stardust. Rock-and-Roll history was made.