"(...) Now you get some sort of context, so you’re hearing the music in a different way. A great example of what I am talking about is your Wilco movie. I never knew anything about Wilco, and after seeing it, and seeing what they went through to make that record, then hearing the album knowing everything that they went through just so that you could fucking have it, I appreciate it more."

Interview by Sam Jones >> http://offcamera.com/dave-grohl/

I hope not.

Me too.  Glenn Kotche standing on his drums with his arms outstretched is pretty much the definition of Dave Grohl.  Except Dave Grohl isn't doing it with a wink.

Me too. Glenn Kotche standing on his drums with his arms outstretched is pretty much the definition of Dave Grohl. Except Dave Grohl isn't doing it with a wink.

That's because Dave's a frontman. A good one at that.

I hope they don't collaborate either, but only because it wouldn't be a good mix.

Whether you like his music or not, Grohl's a class act.

That's because Dave's a frontman. A good one at that.

I hope they don't collaborate either, but only because it wouldn't be a good mix.

just finally getting around to watching this:

http://www.npr.org/event/music/173331505/dave-grohls-sxsw-2013-keynote-speech

excellent.

I doubt it would happen.  They have pretty different musical agendas.  But don't call Grohl a one-trick pony.  Look at some of his other collaborations for the Sound City thing, he can work with Stevie Nicks as well as Trent Reznor.  Dude is versatile. 

I guess what I'm saying is it would never happen, but if it did it wouldn't be like sticking "Monkey Wrench" on top of "Radio Cures".

no way

but i do owe that album a lot for turning me onto some great metal bands. im still very much an amateur metal fan, but a lot of the stuff i dig most i only bought cuz i recognized the name of a signer from probot, which i only bought cuz im an unabashed grohl fanboy. for writing and playing all the music, its amazing how many different sounds he hit on with probot.

anyway, hes proven to be a pretty great collaborator, so this could somehow work, but its all baseless speculation so whatever

You must not have read his Reddit Q&A session.   He came off as a dick who treats everyone as the butt of his bad jokes.

I don't deny that he's a talented guy, though.

You must not have read his Reddit Q&A session. He came off as a dick who treats everyone as the butt of his bad jokes.

I haven't read it, no.

But I have hung out with him several times over the years and one of my best friends has worked for him for about 18 years. He's a really great guy and a true music geek. Very friendly and funny.

One example: My buddy is the biggest Jimmy Page fan in the world. When the Foos played Wembley a few years back Dave made a point of dragging him over and introducing him.

You must not have read his Reddit Q&A session.   He came off as a dick who treats everyone as the butt of his bad jokes.

I've told the story here at least once so I'll cut it short; I ran in to him at a bar in L.A. and he was exceptionally nice.  I had a drink with him, he's cool.

Grohl has always seemed like a great guy.  Really did a lot for Bob Mould with his tribute show in L.A. a couple of years ago and including him in the last Foo Fighters LP.  I can't picture Grohl and Wilco recording together.  Would love to see Grohl join them on stage for Kicking Television and maybe some Foo Fighters or Nirvana song.

I'm glad to hear Grohl is a cool guy.  Humor often gets lost in translation when written.  It just felt off-putting to me that he wouldn't answer any sincere questions in kind. Maybe he was in a goofy mood that day.

I am not sure that Jeff feels so kindly toward the Foo Fighters.  Maybe his opinion has changed,

LouieB

Jeff has definitely made some disparaging remarks about them, in the context of losing the Grammy to them. But I don't think he intended the insults seriously. It was just typical droll Jeff humor--the stuff I heard anyway.

This was from Spencer's blog post about his family's trip to the Grammys--pretty hilarious!

"We found out yesterday that Wilco’s category isn’t televised, which is a big let-down because my dad was ecstatic at the idea of giving a speech to millions of people (not). Normally when he speaks on stage he ends up telling a story about one of the strangely-many times he’s crapped himself in a hotel room. He’ll probably lose to Foo Fighters (or as we in the Tweedy household call them, Poo Fighters) again, anyway."

Grohl seems like a nice enough guy and it's cool how much he loves music, but his persona just wears on me. Both the movies he made were thinly veiled fronts for album advertisements. I thought he came off like a schmuck with the Foo's movie and the first half of Sound City was excellent, til he went on to long about how he saved that mixing board.

By far and away, the best thing he's been involved in is Them Crooked Vultures.

I definitely don't see him collaborating with Wilco...Just a whole different class of musician, imo.