AmericanaramA Concert 21 Hoboken, NJ 7/26/2013

I feel like I hit the AmericanaramA lottery with the shows I've seen, especially tonight. They could. put the astronomer from Solid Sound on stage for 4 hours at Jones Beach tomorrow - I've already seen more than I could possibly have imagined!

Holy moly. That sounds pretty damn great, especially for a set that started with Dawned on Me.  :stunned

Old Bob is turning into Prince:

On July 19, 2013 Web Sheriff announced it was suing YouTube, eBay The Pirate Bay. This announcement appeared briefly on the internet but was removed. Only the cached version remains.

“Jul 19, 2013 - Web Sheriff announced it would launch lawsuits against YouTube, eBay and The Pirate … Bob Dylan used the company’s services pro bono to protect his charity …”

Almost immediately YouTube has been deleting Dylan videos posted by fans. I have been getting email notices for days. At first I thought it was an aberration but apparently the folks at Web Sheriff are serious.

Some notices say the user accounts are being deleted. Nasty.

This recent video of Bob Dylan singing “The Weight” with Jeff Tweedy and Jim James during the Americanarama in Virginia Beach has survived the purge.

These collaborations and guest appearances have me excited for the show in Irvine. Los Angeles is awash with great musicians, so I'm hoping we'll be surprised by a few musical cameos. Tom Petty has a history of working with Dylan, so he's a possibility. Or maybe Lemmy? :rock

California Stars/All The Young Dudes (starts at 5:25)

Have they relaxed the crazy "no photos" rule?  They were threatening to kick people out of the Detroit show....seems like a lot of it is going on now.

California Stars/All The Young Dudes (starts at 5:25)

http://youtu.be/Rk1JGV5b1kU]http://youtu.be/Rk1JGV5b1kU[/url]

Have they relaxed the crazy "no photos" rule? They were threatening to kick people out of the Detroit show....seems like a lot of it is going on now.

It's got to vary by venue, 'cause I can tell you nobody would have gotten away with this at the Va. Beach show. Then again, Dylan wasn't onstage yet, and that's when the security got really insane. There's a special place in my heart for whoever shot this gem.

There's a special place in my heart for whoever shot this gem.

Ditto. A big thanks to them and cre618 for the tears of joy. I wish that the tour itinerary had been in reverse. I'm glad that I caught the second show. I thought that it was special but the latter one's have been extra.

That was really special last night. Hearing Wilco playing Mott songs with Ian Hunter was amazing. I had heard Wilco play I Wish I Was Your Mother once before. I never thought I would hear them play it with him. I also thoroughly enjoyed Dylan's set. I hadn't seen him in 15 years and went in with low expectations. He easily exceeded them and bringing Jeff and Jim out for The Weight was really a treat.

I am so fired up about Feed of Man. Way too long for them not to bust it out. I can only hope there is audio of it since my recordings ("Rock the River" and Grant Park gig) are getting up there in age. Sigh.

Thanks for sharing! For a song that they have not dusted off since 2001, they did an awesome job. This is one that they should put back in the rotation. Again...thanks.

HOBOKEN, N.J. — Americana presents itself as a genre of comforting familiarity: music with deep roots that’s played by hand on physical instruments, often by musicians in vintage-style wardrobes. It’s a coalition — now banding together as a survival mechanism — of honky-tonk country, bluesy rock, soul, bluegrass, old-fashioned gospel and other styles that are modern enough to plug in but still holding out against digital programming. Yet the best Americana, once it gathers an audience, knocks its comfortable expectations away.

That’s how it went when Bob Dylan brought his “Americanarama Festival of Music” — his tour with Wilco, My Morning Jacket and Ryan Bingham — to Pier A Park here on Friday night. There were no new songs, and the Americana hallmarks of grainy voices and twangy guitars were plentiful throughout the six-hour event. But so were musical and verbal disruptions.

Mr. Dylan’s band members wore baggy suits and a variety of hats, playing under white lights, as if they were at a roadhouse. They riffled through roots styles: Chicago blues, Western swing, rockabilly, doo-wop ballad, rumba-blues, Appalachian banjo and Mr. Dylan’s own 1970s folk-rock (in a recognizable “Tangled Up in Blue,” though Mr. Dylan has changed the lyrics from first person to third). In a show of tour camaraderie, Mr. Dylan was joined by Jeff Tweedy and Jim James, the leaders of Wilco and My Morning Jacket, along with Peter Wolf (formerly of the J. Geils Band), to sing “The Weight,” the Band song that’s an Americana staple.

But Mr. Dylan is still fighting nostalgia and complacency in his chosen ways: revamping old songs and delivering newer ones filled with bitterness, loss and rage. His set started with an upbeat, thoroughly biting version of “Things Have Changed,” his litany of wounded cynicism.

He hasn’t varied his set list much on this tour, which suggests it’s a purposeful statement. It features songs from his most recent album, “Tempest,” and it touched on love, cataclysms and songs that mingled the two, like “High Water (For Charley Patton),” “Beyond Here Lies Nothin’ “ and “Soon After Midnight.” Mortality constantly shadowed thoughts of romance, while lust persisted as a sign of life.

Mr. Dylan’s septuagenarian voice isn’t pretty, but he was working with it, recasting melodies to leap upward where his lyrics were clearer and swerving between the baleful and the comic. Some of his revamps were telling — “She Belongs to Me” retained its wary affection as a country march — and some were arbitrary; a waltz version of “A Hard Rain’s a-Gonna Fall” reduced prophecy to nursery rhyme. Yet that song made clear that even the young Mr. Dylan had his eye on the bleakest possibilities. Decades later, he’s no less adamant.

Wilco shook up its Americana sonically. Songs that could have strummed their way steadily along as wistful country-rock or mid-1960s-style pop-rock could, and did, suddenly go calculatedly berserk: with a blare of feedback, an emphatic full-band repetition of one word (like a stuck LP or a loop), a shower of percussion and piano dissonances, or a detour into the motoric beat and drone of krautrock. Those were sounds and strategies from outside Americana’s usual domain, and they drew shouts of joy.

Yet Wilco also affirmed its rootsy side, with exquisitely down-home guest solos by Warren Haynes (from Gov’t Mule, the Allman Brothers and the Dead). For its finale, it brought on the rest of the opening acts to join Ian Hunter, of Mott the Hoople, in “All the Young Dudes,” the very 1970s, very English glam-rock anthem written by David Bowie: not Americana but Britainiana.

My Morning Jacket is a guitar band from Kentucky — a quintessential Americana pedigree — but also a band devoted to the ecstatic possibilities of texture. Its songs exulted in the long, billowing crescendos, sometimes laced with electronics, that have made My Morning Jacket a quintessential band for outdoor festivals. With a guest, the band flaunted its R&B side; it was joined by Brian Jackson, the longtime collaborator of the singer and poet Gil Scott-Heron. Mr. Jackson played a trilling, racing, hyperactive flute solo, as Mr. James sang Mr. Scott-Heron’s 1974 hit “The Bottle”; Mr. James didn’t mention that Mr. Jackson helped write it.

Mr. Bingham opened the festival with guitar-driven, raspy-voiced, alt-country along the lines of John Mellencamp and Drive-By Truckers. He shared a songwriting Academy Award for “The Weary Kind” in the film “Crazy Heart.” But songs from his own albums weren’t such traditionalist country. They were grimmer, less narrative and more muscular, with titles like “Beg for Broken Legs” and “Depression” and lyrics full of trains, highways and drug troubles, although the key member of Mr. Bingham’s band, Richard Bowden on fiddle, pushed the songs toward hoedowns. It was Americana that stayed neatly within its genre but still raised a ruckus.

The United States leg of the tour continues through Saturday; bobdylan.com.

NY Times review in today's (Monday 7/29) paper by the eminent Jon Pareles. Unfortunately, I don't think there'll be a foreign leg of the tour — at least not anytime soon — despite the implication of the tagline.