Wilco playing in Austin between ACL Fest dates?

...or they could do a Dallas date.

Hate to burst the collective bubble on this thread but 9 times out of 10 these big festivals include contract clauses that state the bands cant play any separate shows within a certain mileage radius (usually 100 or so miles) and within a certain amount of time (usually a month or so). Wouldn't surprise me at all if ACL says "no texas shows for a month".

But, this is one of those times I hope I'm wrong. And as long as we're shouting out wishful thinking venues I'm picking "the armadillo" in Denton. Because I love Denton.

Hate to burst the collective bubble on this thread but 9 times out of 10 these big festivals include contract clauses that state the bands cant play any separate shows within a certain mileage radius (usually 100 or so miles) and within a certain amount of time (usually a month or so). Wouldn't surprise me at all if ACL says "no texas shows for a month".

But, this is one of those times I hope I'm wrong. And as long as we're shouting out wishful thinking venues I'm picking "the armadillo" in Denton. Because I love Denton.

Every time Wilco has played ACL they have had a Dallas date. This time will be no different. I have stopped going to ACL because most of the headlining bands team up and play small to mid sized venues around here the week before the festival. I can see two and sometimes three ACL acts in a seated air conditioned venue for a fraction of the cost of the festival.

UNT's Winspear Performance Hall (the Armadillo) would be a formal, no-alcohol venue, which can put a damper on the festivities, but on the upside it is a beautiful facility with awesome acoustics.... Not to mention a short walk from my office.  

And I absolutely share your love of Denton.  A non-Dentonite recently mentioned to me that he heard Denton is trying to be a smaller Austin... I think Austin is trying to be a bigger Denton.

I know here in Tulsa alone are Vampire Weekend, Local Natives, Toro Y Moi, Silversun Pickups and Walk the Moon during the off week between ACL weekends.  Hopefully Dallas or OKC Wilco dates will pop up soon.  I wouldn't mind Denton either.  I took my then 7 year old son a couple of years ago when they played a lecture hall on campus.  Weird scene for a show but it worked.....

No official ACL- Related after show.

http://austin.culturemap.com/news/music_film/08-20-13-acl-announces-official-late-night-shows/

C3 Presents has announced the 2013 Official ACL Music Festival Late Night Shows which will run from October 3-12. Part of the reasoning behind expanding the Austin City Limits Festival to two weekends was to encourage visiting bands to travel the state in the week in between. With the the official late night shows, the festival expands to dates in Austin, Houston, Dallas and San Antonio.

While some tickets are already available, the remaining shows will go on sale August 23 at 10 a.m. Tickets can be purchased here.

AUSTIN

10/3 The Bright Light Social Hour with Reignwolf and Walker Lukens at Emo's Austin

10/3 Luminox and Loudpvck at Haven

10/3 Aaron Behrens and the Midnight Stroll with Nic Armstrong and BattleMe at Stubb's Indoors

10/4 Grouplove with The Mowgli's at Emo's Austin

10/4 HAIM and MS MR at Antone's

10/4 Wild Nothing and Autre Ne Veut at The Parish 

10/4 Deap Vally with Ume at Stubb's Indoors

10/4 FIDLAR with The Orwells at Holy Mountain

10/4 Wild Belle at Lamberts

10/5 The National at Stubb's Waller Creek Amphitheater

10/5 The Black Angels with The Joy Formidable at Emo's Austin

10/5 The Revivalists and Moon Taxi at The Parish

10/5 Widowspeak with Boy Friend at Stubb's Indoors

10/5 Gospel Brunch with The Blind Boys of Alabama at Stubb's Indoors

10/5 JC Brooks and The Uptown Sound at Lamberts

10/6 Paper Diamond with Run DMT at Haven

10/6 Gospel Brunch with Endurance at Stubb's Indoors

10/9 The Waller Creek Conservancy Benefit featuring The Shouting Matches with The Blind Boys of Alabama at Stubb's Waller Creek Amphitheater

10/9 Toro Y Moi with Classixx at Emo's Austin

10/10 Patty Griffin at Stubb's Waller Creek Amphitheater

10/10 Phosphorescent with JD McPherson, Shakey Graves at Emo's Austin

10/10 Wavves with King Tuff and Jacuzzi Boys at Antone's

10/10 Mord Fustang with Jesse Rose at Haven

10/10 Whiskey Shivers with Hello Wheels at Stubb's Indoors

10/11 STRFKR with Bear Mountain and Chrome Sparks at Emo's Austin

10/11 Junip with Valerie June at Antone's

10/11 Mark Farina with Blockhead, Little People, DJ Mel at Haven

10/11 The Autumn Defense and Roadkill Ghost Choir at Lamberts

10/12 Eric Church at Stubb's Waller Creek Amphitheater

10/12 Franz Ferdinand with Smith Westerns at Emo's Austin

10/12 Noah and the Whale with LP at Brazos Hall

10/12 The Burgerama Tour featuring The Growlers with Foxygen, The Cosmonauts, Gap Dream and Pangea at The Parish

10/12 Red Baraat at Stubb's Indoors

10/12 Gospel Brunch with The Blind Boys of Alabama at Stubb's Indoors

10/12 Twin Forks with Matrimony at Holy Mountain

10/12 Typhoon at Lamberts

10/13 Gospel Brunch with Tyree Morris & Hearts of Worship at Stubb's Indoors

DALLAS

10/3 Wild Belle at the Cambridge Room at House of Blues

10/4 Shuggie Otis at The Kessler Theater

10/5 Queens of the Stone Age at Verizon Theatre at Grand Prairie

10/5 Dawes at South Side Music Hall

10/5 Franz Ferdinand at House of Blues

10/5 Jake Bugg with HoneyHoney at The Kessler Theater

10/6 Silversun Pickups with Electric Guest at Trees

10/7 MS MR at the Cambridge Room at House of Blues

10/8 Local Natives with Wild Nothing at House of Blues

10/8 HAIM at Trees

10/8 Red Baraat at the Cambridge Room at House of Blues

10/9 Walk the Moon with The Mowgli's at House of Blues

10/9 Phosphorescent at the Cambridge Room at House of Blues

10/10 Vampire Weekend at Verizon Theatre at Grand Prairie

10/11 Toro Y Moi at House of Blues

10/12 The National and Tame Impala at South Side Music Hall

HOUSTON

10/4 Franz Ferdinand at House of Blues

10/7 Red Baraat at the Peacock Room at House of Blues

10/8 Walk the Moon with The Mowgli's at House of Blues

10/9 Local Natives with Wild Nothing at House of Blues

10/10 Toro Y Moi at House of Blues

10/10 Typhoon at the Peacock Room at House of Blues

10/12 Dawes at Warehouse Live

SAN ANTONIO

10/11 Silversun Pickups with Electric Guest at The White Rabbit

So the Autumn D are gonna play the Wilco show on 10/11 and then race over to wherever Lambert's is and play their gig later that night? Guess it's happened before...

Looks like the AD changed the date and will now play on the 10th.

"Excited to announce we are playing a @aclfestival show on Oct 10th at @lambertsbbq with @Desertnoises & @BlueBearBand http://goo.gl/awSVs1 "

So the Autumn D are gonna play the Wilco show on 10/11 and then race over to wherever Lambert's is and play their gig later that night? Guess it's happened before...

The amazing & intrepid John & Pat did pretty much the same thing during Wilco's 3 night long stand in NYC last year...

Diane, are you going?

Sadly, no. I'm seeing Neutral Milk Hotel close to home on 10/12 so it's just not in the cards for me. But I think everyone else should go!!! Stubbs sounds like a good venue and you know there'll be good audiences in Austin.

Sadly, no. I'm seeing Neutral Milk Hotel close to home on 10/12 so it's just not in the cards for me. But I think everyone else should go!!! Stubbs sounds like a good venue and you know there'll be good audiences in Austin.

Went on line to buy tickets and they're already sold out! Sadly it's because I misread the time and thought it said PDT not CDT.Ugh!!!

• 1 month later...

After weeks without an opener for the Stubb's show, they've finally confirmed that it's An Evening With Wilco. Best news ever! Doors are at 8:00, Wilco goes on at 9:00 and the Friday curfew at Stubb's isn't until 12:30 so who knows how long this show could go on. I've been to dozens of shows there and I don't think I've ever seen a band that doesn't play until the venue cuts them off so we'll see!

Great review with photos of the Stubbs show here:  http://www.readthehorn.com/lifestyle/music/84779/wilco_at_stubbs_bbq_reviewphotos   

What a special show--one for the ages!  Reviewer notes that the highlight (for him) was "Give Back the Key to My Heart".  It's interesting that Jeff has chosen to put this in the setlist, since Jay and the song's author, Doug Sahm, sang the verses on the UT cover.  It's a great song, and I love Wilco's version.  It's just a little surprising (and maybe a first) to hear Jeff sing a lead part that Jay sang on the UT recording.