• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've said this before, but I don't do torrents. Never could find a way to download them on my iMac, even after downloading software for that express purpose. Don't really need any more Dead AUD files, I already have too many on my system. Looking for a zip or RAR, even if in mp3 format.

Beat me to it. Very nice!

Thank you back, Sir! It was not my intention, blame it your post  :wave

Grateful Dead to Release Live at the Coliseum on Record Store Day

It looks the like the Grateful Dead’s first-ever performance at the Hampton Coliseum will be getting the vinyl treatment this Record Store Day. JamBase reports (via Wax Poetic) that the band’s May 4, 1979 show at the iconic Hampton, VA venue will be released as a 2-LP set titled Live at the Coiseum. It will be the first time that a recording of the night has been made available in any format.The release—produced by the Grateful Dead and longtime archivist David Lemieux—will include the second half of the show’s first set, as well as the full second set (there was no encore). The two 180-gram LPs, which will be stored in a gatefold jacket, were mastered by Chris Bellman at Bernie Grundman Mastering and pressed at RTI. More information will be available on March 20, when Record Store Day officially announces the details of its upcoming releases. Record Store Day will take place at participating retailers across the country on Saturday, April 19.

Live at the Coliseum tracklist:

First LP

Side A

01 Loser 

02 New Minglewood Blues

03 Don’t Ease Me In

04 Passenger

Side B

01 I Need A Miracle

02 Bertha

03 Good Lovin‘

04 Ship Of Fools

Second LP

Side A

01 Estimated Prophet

02 Eyes Of The World

Side B

01 Truckin‘

02 Stella Blue

03 Around and Around

Not sure if any of you folks knew Booie, a fellow Head, taper and trader based out of NJ but he passed away over the weekend. 52 years old. We lost a kind soul who had a heart as big as the ocean. He was pretty damn funny too. RIP Booie, you'll be missed by many.

I'm continually astounded by the depth and detail of knowledge some folks have about the Dead's performance history.  I really appreciate the time some people have spent putting reviews up on archive.org.  It often leads me to other shows I had never listened to that are so impressive.

Here is a phenomenal Playing In The Band from 10-26-72.

https://archive.org/details/gd1972-10-26.sbd.miller.32717.sbeok.flac16

I was able to read some interviews in someone's master thesis a while back. Some of the interviews had to do with all the work that went into getting those shows up there. Amazing stuff really.

I was able to read some interviews in someone's master thesis a while back. Some of the interviews had to do with all the work that went into getting those shows up there. Amazing stuff really.

If you can track down a link, that would be great.

Bill's drumming on that 72 Ohio Playin that Shug posted - is great - right in the forefront.

I never wanted to be one of those guys who say I got this and you can't have it. But in this case - I can't post it. I can tell you how to find it. If you go to a library that has access to the ProQuest Dissertations & Theses Full Text website - do a search on Grateful Dead. You will be able to read it. It's the third result that comes up when you search.

I'm continually astounded by the depth and detail of knowledge some folks have about the Dead's performance history.  I really appreciate the time some people have spent putting reviews up on archive.org.  It often leads me to other shows I had never listened to that are so impressive.

Here is a phenomenal Playing In The Band from 10-26-72.

https://archive.org/details/gd1972-10-26.sbd.miller.32717.sbeok.flac16

To add to your continuing astonishment (and mine too), there's a thread on the Hoffman Music Forum, Embarking on a GD Journey.  It's actually now 2 threads, as it's been continued into a second one.  Some fantastic posts there.  Here's the link to the beginning of the second thread, the first entry will take you back to the start.  Hope you have a lot of time.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/embarking-on-a-grateful-dead-journey-all-purpose-thread-second-set.343616/ 

I never wanted to be one of those guys who say I got this and you can't have it. But in this case - I can't post it. I can tell you how to find it. If you go to a library that has access to the ProQuest Dissertations & Theses Full Text website - do a search on Grateful Dead. You will be able to read it. It's the third result that comes up when you search.

Will do - thanks.

I, too, am continually impressed by the obsessive work people have done on archiving, documenting, commenting, etc., on the Dead's performance history. But I'm not really surprised by it. I figure if someone gets even half the enjoyment out of the Dead that I do, they could easily be of a mind to do all this stuff.

To me, a large % of the Dead's material is like a musical version of comfort food. Not in the way mashed potatoes or oatmeal might be boring, but more like it makes you feel good and you really enjoy it when you have it. I know I bitch a lot about bad notes, off key vocals, and so on, but the Dead are my default when I am not sure what I'm in the mood to hear. This morning I was scrolling through a playlist I call "New to Library," where I add stuff I haven't listened to yet, and when I got to this Dead show I haven't heard yet, I automatically went to it. It started out with Samson & Delilah and Friend of the Devil (it's an 80s show). Nothing spectacular, either, but damn if those Jerry solos don't do it every time. No two were ever alike.

Watched one of the Seth Myers shows from this week. Had the John Mayer Trio, with Chick Corea. Mayer was wearing a jacket, when he turned around he had a big Stealie embroidered on the back of his jacket.

I'm not sure if that makes Mayer more or less of a douche, but I'm leaning towards more.

Don't know why that would be, but I'm not here to defend Mayer from all this criticism out there. May be well deserved for all I know. But sticking to the music, the guy is a phenomenal guitarist, and I especially like the blues format of the Trio. He "found" the Grateful Dead last year while holed up in Montana recovering from throat surgery and all his Hollywood douchiness. Said was making it his mission to introduce a generation to the music of the Dead. Saw him at Crossroads this year, did a new song Queen California that totally channeled Garcia. Swear he turned the Garden into a 1990 GD show. It's on the DVD. So, despite anything else, I'm on board with his Garcia discoveries and thought it pretty cool he was sporting a big Stealie on national tv.

Sent from my Windows Phone using Tapatalk

Great Ratdog show last Friday in Chicago - probably the best Dead related show I saw. It's rather amazing how Weir sounded, esp. at his age.

They played Terrapin during the 2nd set and for the encore pulled off a great At a Siding > Terrapin Flyer. Jeff C had the "orchestration" part down pat on his keyboards. Even the Red Rooster (as Night of Joy predicted) was sort of exciting.

The bass bomb intro into The Other One, played by Sylvester - also sounded great. Once I picked up Wasserman in the mix - his contributions were cool to hear - mostly played a bow on his up right bass.

The only vocal flub was during El Paso, of all songs.

Other highlights were Easy to Slip, Catfish John, Masterpiece, and Shakey Ground.

Real fun crowd to - nobody around bugged me with phones, talking, etc. - which was great.

I was right on the aisle and this person moseyed on down and settled next to me and dance a bit during the second set for about 6 minutes or so - and about everybody minute or so he would bend down and rub my stomach then dance some more - then rub my stomach, etc. -- dance some more, etc.--- never had that happen at show before - luckily he moved on. He seemed to be enjoying himself.

I: Jam > The Music Never Stopped > Shakey Ground > The Music Never Stopped > Queen Jane Approximately > Little Red Rooster > Greatest Story Ever Told > West L.A. Fadeaway, Easy to Slip > Supplication > Johnny B. Goode
II: El Paso@, Catfish John@, When I Paint My Masterpiece@, Scarlet Begonias > Lady with a Fan > Terrapin > The Other One > Stuff > Days Between > Not Fade Away
E: At a Siding > Terrapin Flyer
Bob before "Rooster": "This one's dedicated to Willie Dixon"

heh, its like he's compelled to play that darn tune every single time he's in Chicago.

Stomach rubbing by strangers in concert? I'm not sure I would've tolerated that.

Btw, I've heard real good stuff about Ratdog lately.

i was planning on going, but decided to opt out.  the atlanta show, that is.  two bass players sounds like a sound man's nightmare.  maybe i'll pick up a few live shows.  i bet they do a summer tour given the success of spring.

btw, any reason Karan is not in the band anymore?

i was planning on going, but decided to opt out.  the atlanta show, that is.  two bass players sounds like a sound man's nightmare.  maybe i'll pick up a few live shows.  i bet they do a summer tour given the success of spring.

?

They are playing 2 days at the Lockn Festival September 4-7.