A new article about the Betty Boards:

What’s Become of the Bettys? The Fate of the Long-Lost Grateful Dead Soundboards

I don't know if there is any new information there or not. Some of the stuff at the end is new I suppose.

Saw that a little while ago and didn't even bother reading due to that extensive Eaton piece not too long ago....

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a great article headline, referencing one of the least-played songs in the Dead's entire recording history. Very clever.

Kind of a bummer that everyone is interested in selling these to the vaultmeister and then having them sold back to us. Back in the day, it was all about trading freely. :(

Debra Koons is a real bummer as well.

I believe when we were initially uploading shows to the Internet Archive the plan was to include garcia shows but this was blocked by the garcia estate...

All so Debra Koons can reap money for the nassau 1989 shows....(that fall 89 tour was a really great tour - but the nassau shows while ok were not among the best)...

Debra Koons is a real bummer as well.

I believe when we were initially uploading shows to the Internet Archive the plan was to include garcia shows but this was blocked by the garcia estate...

All so Debra Koons can reap money for the nassau 1989 shows....(that fall 89 tour was a really great tour - but the nassau shows while ok were not among the best)...

Yeah, I was at the Hartford show and really enjoyed it..but the Nassau one wasn't that great. Not better, anyway. I bought my copy from Amazon, so at least I was not supporting that greedy wench directly. She is a piece of work.

heard that good old (?) Oxford ME show from 7-2-88  on satellite today. Fun well played show, remembered the vocals are way up front (radio recording?), phil bombing about jackstraw early, nice Aiko, lovely Foolish Heart (Brent) set 1 closer, and Crazy Fingers set 2 opener.

hadn't heard it in awhile!

heard that good old (?) Oxford ME show from 7-2-88  on satellite today. Fun well played show, remembered the vocals are way up front (radio recording?), phil bombing about jackstraw early, nice Aiko, lovely Foolish Heart (Brent) set 1 closer, and Crazy Fingers set 2 opener.

Listened to that, too - today - It's a good one.

I caught these shows and have never heard a very good recording of them. The tapes I have are kind of tinny/too much treble-y. 

Awww thanks.  I am always hesitant to share my boring videos so I appreciate the kind words.  I'm the guy playing the Martin guitar in the very back.  I wouldn't submit something like this to any contest.  Would make the singer jump on a 2nd guitar first, this was really just screwing around after a few beers.

Voodoonola has struck again. posted full show video to MSG 9-20-90. I was at this show, it's a monster. Particularly the second set, which I call the single best GD set I saw. The China/ Rider is off the hook. If nothing else, check out set 2, either this video or audio. Trucking starts around 58 minute mark.

those Fall 90 shows (I think I went to every one) were bittersweet and saved only by the fact that Hornsby was there.

I don't think theres ONE post Brent show that is as good as any show that he took part in.

Certainly nothing post 92

Well let's just say I disagree.  Maybe I can live with the post-'92 qualifier.  But having grown up in the Keith and Donna era, it took me many years to attune my ears to Brent's playing and singing.  I'm sure there were plenty of clunkers during his tenure.  And I thought there were some fantastic shows Fall '90 and Fall '91. Yes, Hornsby was a big part of the reason, but still...

Huge Brent fan here, but to say that there are no post-Brent shows that are comparable to any with him there is silly. imo. There were shining moments throughout the history of the band, pre-Brent, Brent, and post-Brent. This is an opinion, of course. Even '95 had some nuggets. 

I've had a lot of good suggestions for shows to listen to on this forum and I appreciate that a lot.  I have a never-ending project of seeking out the cream of the Dead's performances from excellent-all-the-way-through shows to standout performances of a single song.  With that in mind, I thought I'd throw out an invitation to pick your brains once again.

If you are interested, pick a year and give us your top 5 or 6 shows for that year.

Here's mine for 1985:
3-28-85 Nassau Long Island
6-14-85 Greek Berkeley
6-27-85 Saratoga
6-28-85 Hershey Park
6-30-85 Merriweather Post
11-1-85 Richmond, VA

Not sure I am knowledgeable enough about any given year to do them justice, but I'll give '83 a shot, since that is the only year where I saw two shows.

4-16-83 - Meadowlands - If you haven't already heard a drunken Stephen Stills try to power his way through a verse of Iko Iko, you need to treat yourself. :lol

4-22-83 - New Haven - My second ever Dead show, this was an absolute blast. Check out the version of Esau, a very underrated tune.

10-8-83 - Richmond - My next show, featuring the rare Crazy Fingers. Second set: Day Job-> Playin' In The Band-> Crazy Fingers-> Drums-> Truckin'-> Spoonful-> Wharf Rat-> Good Lovin'...Nuff said.

10-15-83 - Hartford - Apparently, the St. Stephen breakout was well received...? Wish I'd been there.

10-17-83 - Lake Placid - For a long time, I saw this referred to as Lake Acid. Haha. I only had the 2nd set for years, but it was enough...especially for To Lay Me Down -> Women are Smarter, but The Wheel was pretty stellar too.

I concur with lake Placid '83. One of the bands strongest shows top to bottom. The Touch and Revolution are fantastic, as well. 

Caught the Hartford Stephen show and it's as good on tape as it was that night.

SPAC 6.18.83 is really good, too. The Dew is fantastic.

NYE '83/'84 is strong, too.

Thanks, Mr. Heartbreak! Fall of '83 seems to have been a good tour.  I love the two Santa Fe shows from 9-10 and 9-11.  That Lake Placid show has the fantastic Sugaree opener, so the first set is worth getting, too.  I really like Brother Essau so I'll check out that version.  Looks Like Rain from Providence on 4-20-83 a couple night before is a great version, very impassioned vocals (I always dig a good f bomb from Bobby) and Jerry is flying.