• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, Mr. Heartbreak! Fall of '83 seems to have been a good tour.  I love the two Santa Fe shows from 9-10 and 9-11.  That Lake Placid show has the fantastic Sugaree opener, so the first set is worth getting, too.  I really like Brother Essau so I'll check out that version.  Looks Like Rain from Providence on 4-20-83 a couple night before is a great version, very impassioned vocals (I always dig a good f bomb from Bobby) and Jerry is flying.

Sure. Thanks for the LLR recommendation, I am a big fan of the 80s versions of that song in particular. Jerry's playing on it was typically beautiful.

6/28/92 is the best post Bruce show I ever saw. Check it out - the first set is just fantastic.

Normally I don't get impatient about these things - but when the hell are the going to announce the next Dave's pick???

Also, my favorite post Brent show that I saw was 6/22/91 in Chicago --- my friend taped 6/28/92 show - it definitely stood out when I listened to it a few days later.

6/28/92 is the best post Bruce show I ever saw. Check it out - the first set is just fantastic.

Was that the first time they played there? That was the only time I've been to Deer Creek.

Normally I don't get impatient about these things - but when the hell are the going to announce the next Dave's pick???

Also, my favorite post Brent show that I saw was 6/22/91 in Chicago --- my friend taped 6/28/92 show - it definitely stood out when I listened to it a few days later.

That Chicago show is a favorite of mine. Seamless second set, with Hornsby teasing Dark Star throughout. Best Foolish Heart I've ever heard. It really benefited from a second keyboard player.

They played Deer Creek in '89, '90, and '91 before '92 shows.....

Ok, so it was 89. I then went up to Alpine for that 3 day run. Got pangs of nostalgia right now.

I did that Deer Creek and then Alpine Run. Every thing was beautiful until it rained

I recently saw some great pics from that Alpine run on FB of hippies and a mud slide. Also, a whole bunch of cars in a farmers field that were flooded out. I myself abandoned my tent there. That rain was a buzz kill. Good shows though.

I got lucky and we were able to get our car out of the lot without any issues --- friends didn't fair so well, though.

My friend had to get back to Chicago by 7am the next day for work, so we only had time to help out a few --- it was great ride home, seeing the sky become brighter while heading down the Dan Ryan with music blasting was pretty cool - I was about to start my senior year in high school, I felt like all was pretty damn great.

I thought the rain added a whole different experience for my first show (the last night of the run) - I wasn't bothered by it. Before my friend and I headed up there, my mother made sure we had rain gear - which consisted of large black garbage bags.

Wow, very hard to pick a favorite bust out. I'm sure I've mentioned a few high points for me in my little Dead career, but let's see...

9/23/82 - Althea; Lost Sailor > Saint Of Circumstance in the 2nd set; Baby Blue encore

4/22/83 - Help > Slip > Franklin's to open the 2nd set; my 2nd show, 2nd Baby Blue encore

10/8/83 - West L.A. in the first set; Crazy Fingers in the 2nd set

6/24/84 - Dancin' opener; China Doll in the 2nd set; yet another Baby Blue encore

Those are probably the high points.

Dang Heartbreak! Did you ever catch a Lazy Lightning / Supplication??

Nope. I did catch a Scarlet > FIre 2nd set opener in MSG in '91, though, so that was pretty special. Of course, I would have liked to see them play it earlier in my travels, but considering that it was post-coma, it was good.

Favorite bust out was the St. Stephen in Hartford '83. Can still hear the roar of the crowd. 

Ripple bust out in Landover was cool, too. 

Liked the Earthquake Space in Hartford '82, too. Weirdness.

Caught a few Lazy Lightning/Supplications, the first at my first show in New Haven '81. 

i saw Easy Answers bust out!  Ha ha.

Also saw Unbroken Chain, but that tune was better left in the vaults until Furthur.  Man did the Dead butcher that one.  It's almost unrecognizable. 

i saw Easy Answers bust out!  Ha ha.

Also saw Unbroken Chain, but that tune was better left in the vaults until Furthur.  Man did the Dead butcher that one.  It's almost unrecognizable. 

There's a (imo) pretty cool audio out there of the stage banter before and during the Unbroken Chain bust out. Kinda cool.

I didn't see that many long-shelved songs get revived except for the awesome moment when they pulled New Speedway Boogie out of a loooooonnnnnggg retirement (about 20 years) in 1991.  I was out in the hallways with the other dancers and the smiles that instantly went over everyone's faces as they recognized the song was a great great holy-shit-I can't-believe-they-are-playing-this moment. And it was a pretty good version, too.

https://archive.org/details/gd91-02-19.sbd.ladner.8574.sbeok.shnf

After looking at this webpage, I remembered I was at the bustout for Here Comes Sunshine in Arizona in 1992. Listening back that was pretty much a vocal trainwreck and they changed the arrangement so much that it lost most of what made it special, those scintilating jams, but it was still exiciting in the moment.

http://www.glidemagazine.com/hiddentrack/the-b-list-10-fav-grateful-dead-bust-outs/

Lammy don't forget Help Slip!!

I was at the NSB and the Here Comes Sunshine and the Cap Center Ripple

Heartbreak speaking of Scarlet > Fire I was at Hampton 88 (one of my first shows) and I think they played So What > Sugar Mag > Scarlet > Fire and when they went into Scarlet the folks in front of me started hugging and I was thinking hmmmm what is this??

Those 88 shows are hot as hell BTW

PS The best Unbroken Chain played besides the one on the album is BY FAR the Phil and Phish from 99.

Just got to say I am listening to the first Branford show for the first time in a while. Reminding myself what a masterpiece this second set is. Assume everyone posting here has wrapped their ears around this show once or twice, but if not don't delay. Nassau 1990-3-29.

Sent from my Windows Phone using Tapatalk

for reasons too boring to share here, I need to buy something on Amazon.

I'm trying to decide between the Sunshine Daydream deal (cds + DVD) and Volume III of the View from the Vault.  Opinions?

for reasons too boring to share here, I need to buy something on Amazon.

I'm trying to decide between the Sunshine Daydream deal (cds + DVD) and Volume III of the View from the Vault.  Opinions?

Sunshine Daydream. The audio is a joy to listen to (for the most part), and the DVD is good just to get a feel for that era. It's really quite amazing to see that many naked people just dancing around in public. I'm guessing that wouldn't happen anymore here in the U.S.