A while back there was a discussion about the Dead downloads (Road Trips, inc.) that could be purchased over at dead.net and whether a .pdf of the liner notes come with the download - just read on the Hoffman board that liner notes do not come with the downloads (which kinda sucks).

However below is a link to all the liner notes of Grateful Dead releases.

http://www.gdreferencesite.com/albums.html

Now I can read the essay for the Fillmore West 1969 boxset that I didn't buy.

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That Englishtown show is ridiculous and yeah, that Half-Step from it soars and is the one I go to for probably the best version.....William &Mary '78, Mosque '77 and Rochester '77 also come to mind....

Nice Half Step from William and Mary 4-15-78. Never had set I, but I've had set II for years, perhaps the most intense Bertha>Good Lovin' combo except for brutal lyrical flub in which Garcia forgets to sing the entire third verse, the capper with the  "throw me in jailhouse" line.  It would've been one for the ages if not for that, aarrgghhh!

Nice Half Step from William and Mary 4-15-78. Never had set I, but I've had set II for years, perhaps the most intense Bertha>Good Lovin' combo except for brutal lyrical flub in which Garcia forgets to sing the entire third verse, the capper with the  "throw me in jailhouse" line.  It would've been one for the ages if not for that, aarrgghhh!

Yeah, that's pretty much the meat of the tune right there, too. There's a show from BCT '84 where Garcia does TWO of the "I wish I was a headlight...." verses. It's funny because Weir is going into the final "I know you rider verse" and obviously Garcia spaced and thought it was his "headlight" verse and just belts it out again over Weir. I believe this is it:

https://archive.org/details/gd84-10-27.senn.vernon.17414.sbeok.shnf

Also - the Peggy O on 10.15.1977 is exceptional...

No problem....I love this show...

I'd never listened to this one before and I heard all the stuff you mentioned, its really good, especially the St. Stephen and NFA, smoking!  Thanks for the rec!

I didn't know Bob did an Elvis:

The film does not shy away from this aspect of your life. For many years, you were a single man on the road, you lived a legendary rock ’n’ roll lifestyle, you met your wife when she was 15 years old and you were in your mid-30s. And now you have two teenage daughters—is that God’s way of laughing at you?

Absolutely.

I also have it and love it. If I had to pick a single favorite GD year, '73 is it. Goes well on my shelf with the Winterland '77 box.

Sent from my Windows Phone using Tapatalk

I agree '73 is my favorite too.

The Dicks Pick was the night before at the same venue 9-27-72.  Fall '72, fan-fucking-tastic!

On 9-28-72, Check out the sweet He's Gone>bass solo>Other One>Bobby McGee>Other One.  Greatest Story rips, too.

That sequence is THE SHIT.

That Englishtown show is ridiculous and yeah, that Half-Step from it soars and is the one I go to for probably the best version.....William &Mary '78, Mosque '77 and Rochester '77 also come to mind....

Boston '77!

Hilarious understatement of the century from the New Yorker article:  "...and there were nights when at least one member was not entirely sober"   :rotfl

Was listening to 12/16-17/92 the other day. Not a bad show and Vince (I'm assuming) doing Tomorrow Never Knows was kinda cool. I never understood the idea behind doing Baba O'Reilly but whatever...

I'm guessing the idea behind Baba O'Reilly was that it's a cool tune. I never minded the GD version of it. I think Vince brought some of these suggestions in, obviously, as he takes lead vocals on them. Always liked the GD version of It's All Too Much, too.

I'm guessing the idea behind Baba O'Reilly was that it's a cool tune. I never minded the GD version of it.

Sure its a great song but in my opinion it doesnt "fit" the GD.

Yep, "Easy to Love You" comes to mind too. I like that tune but its like a third pinky finger in a set list.

Yep, "Easy to Love You" comes to mind too. I like that tune but its like a third pinky finger in a set list.

blasphemy!  i loved a brent tune in the first set.  i think vinces tunes (originals and covers) would 've faired much better in the first set.  Way to Go Home set one closer?  that'd been cool.  his tunes really messed up the flow of pre drums sometimes.

Easy to Love was only ever played in the first set so nothing to compare it to, really.

I didn't mind Hey Jude too much at all. Not one of their best covers, but it gave Brent another opportunity to go off.

The Hey Judes that I minded were in the late 60s or early 70s. Utter train wrecks. The word "execrable" comes to mind. :lol

Thankfully there were only a couple of them.  I can still remember being excited when I first got a tape of them playing it (3/1/69) and then about one minute in thinking "this is dreadful."