Anyone know what the Dead show was that they were playing on PBS on Monday night?  Looked like mid '80s to me, but I only saw a couple minutes of it.

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's often like an internal game if I can make it to the source (iPod dock, cd player, whatever) before the wailing begins....

You killed Donna!

During my broadcast (in Chicago) they had a nice little interview with David Lemieux during a break in the movie.  I happen to turn it on for about 10 minutes or so.

Watching/ listening to the free webcast of the Ratdog benefit for Headcount fro Brooklyn Bowl and watching hockey too. Haven't heard Ratdog in years. Not half bad. Looking forward to Krasno's appearance later.

Nels on now.

Missed it, couldn't stay awake. Not that I had any idea he was playing.

Here's video of Nels last night

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=efg4skL3me8

It was okay  -- Nels had a nice solo on the above Lovelight - but Franklin's kinda went nowhere --- thanks by the way - I didn't know anything about this show, until I saw you post about it --- only caught Sugaree on.  It was kinda cool because I was able to find channel on my Roku device, so I was able to watch it on my TV, rather then the computer. 

When I'm looking for inspiration on what GD or related music to listen to among the mountain of choices I have, i start scrolling through this topic, which always either reminds me of something I have and have not listened to in a while, or suggests something I've never heard.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/grateful-thread-what-have-you-been-listening-to-part-2.355300/

Sometimes on Fridays after work I like to dig around on Youtube and take a chance on a show I have not heard.

I just landed on Scarlet Begonias>Fire on the Mountain 5/8/1977 a few minutes ago.

I love a good matrix, here's a new one to hit the world.  Beacon Theater, June 15, 1976

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=572985

A special show for me and my friends.  We were 18-19 years old, all back home together on LI after our freshman year in college.  The level of excitement, not only were the Dead back after their retirement but they were playing the cozy confines of the Beacon instead of some hockey rink or outdoor stadium, was off the hook.  We went to both Beacon shows, and then caught at least 2 more that summer in August at Colt Park, Hartford, and Roosevelt Stadium.

Over the years I usually don't listen to '76 shows, always felt the playing a little too sterile or slow compared to what came after in '77-78, but going back and giving this matrix a full listen has proven me wrong.  This show is worthy of the Grateful Dead.

gd76-06-15-BEACON-THEATRE.jpg

Listening to 10 October 1968 - matrix....interesting that this show (and 08 October 1968) was only jerry / mickey / phil  -  no bobby or pigpen...Mainly meandering and varied forms of Dead songs - interesting but nothing dazzling or remarkable.

I wonder what the real story is. Per DHTCompendium Weir and Pig were actually let go from the band due to musical limitations. That doesn't quite make sense as October 1968 has mainly Grateful Dead shows with Weir / Pig (12 October and 13 October are astonishingly impressive shows...).