I saw the 2nd to last show, which was dreadful apart from the Visions of Johanna, which Jerry really came alive for. Thank baby Jesus for teleprompters. When he held his hand in the air and hollered the "Mona Lisa must've had the highway blues" line, the entire stadium was knocked on their asses. Stunning. It's on youtube, certainly worth watching. Rest of the show was bad. I cringed when they started Terrapin, my favorite tune. Butchered.

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MB: I'd purchase the 3.18 Philly '95 show if it was released. Killer second set. Love the "All Too Much" and the "Visions" is spectacular: https://archive.org/details/gd95-03-18.sbd.1362.sbeok.shnf

Caught RatDog/Avett Bros last night at Red Rocks. They (both) sounded great. Not sure why Karan isn't in the current line up but Kimock does his best work, imo, in RatDog. Not a big fan of his noodling in his own band, Never quite seems to hit peaks, only plateaus.,,,,,,

MORE than pretty good, I'd say! Best Vince-only Era show I saw. Consistent all the way through. Easily one of the better 1st sets of the last 3-4 years. 

the funny thing about Vince was that sometimes I would watch him and he would have a cig hanging out of his mouth and was playing with one hand and I couldn't hear a bit of keyboards.
I used to think to myself "isn't he getting paid shitpile loads of $$$$ for this" and I would remember how Brent was covered in sweat at the end of EVERY show and played and sang his azz off

Only saw 3 shows that year.....The World, oy. Shoulda went on Europe tour, heard great stories.

Forgot, I saw 7/14/90 too. Foxboro.

I had the $$$ saved for the Europe Tour.
At that time the idea of seeing GD in a 2 or 3000 seat venue was SOOO EXCITING! Just the idea of me being down front maybe with my elbows even on the stage at Jerrys feet I could not wait!
Then Brent died and I forgot about even going. I did a lot of the next couple of US tours (which Hornsby made good) but for me nothing could touch 89 and 90. I saw some interview with Weir somewhere where he said that when they were great EVERY night. Plus I think Jerry was pretty clean at that point as well.

Rumor has it the next Dave's will be 7/10/81 St. Paul.

Anyone else catch the Bremen flick last night? Really good stuff, though with only 2 Jerry tunes and 1 Pigpen tune, it was a big dose of Bob. Gave me a whole new appreciation for One More Saturday Night and, especially, The Other One. Wow.

Got up this morning and left for work and realized I had put on a purple polo shirt. Am I becoming...a Bobbyhead? 

Anyone else catch the Bremen flick last night? Really good stuff, though with only 2 Jerry tunes and 1 Pigpen tune, it was a big dose of Bob. Gave me a whole new appreciation for One More Saturday Night and, especially, The Other One. Wow.

Got up this morning and left for work and realized I had put on a purple polo shirt. Am I becoming...a Bobbyhead? 

Ha! - I put on my off-blue polo shirt that I had for over 20 years or so on this morning (I call it my Bob Weir Shirt) --- will be catching a Dead tribute show tonight, so I figure I dress the part.

I did catch the show last night -- thought it was great -- That Saturday Night was great -- really trying to push the "single". Jerry of course played great, through out. It was great to see Pigpen perform, though it was a bit sad, due to his appearance - hard to believe he was only 26 at the time it was shot.

Also it was great to see great footage of Jerry's Alligator guitar - though the actual alligator sticker wasn't put on yet. 

Man, it sounded great -- just the Strat, wah-wah, and the amp --- simple as it gets.

I loved Jerry's tone throughout that entire year, so of course I loved everything he did in the movie.

I took my wife (for whom all this Dead music is new), and after it was over, I told her, "You might actually hear some of those songs next month when we go to the Ratdog show." She looked less than thrilled. :lol

heard the pre drums second set from 7/18/89 Alpine show on satellite tonight.

sweet recording- i'd forgotten all about that SugarScarlet. verrrry nice.

Last night I heard (for the second time) what might just be the BEST GD tribute band I've ever caught live, and I've seen a lot of 'em. Out of Dallas, TX. Their name is Forgotten Space. Yo, Deadheads - if they come to your area do NOT miss 'em.

The guitarist (Kenny) was a founding member of The New Bohemians, and he must have woodshedded like a motherfucker cause he was just KILLING it all night long. I saw some of the very best guitar playing I've seen in a LONG time, by anyone last night. The Rhythm guitarist (Hunter) is no slouch, either - he really knows those odd chords and voicings that Bobby uses.

They opened with a monster Shakedown and it was a solid first set. The soloing during Lazy Lightning > Supplication was incredible.Viola Lee 2/3 of the way through set 1 made me pretty damn stoked (if you know me, you know I'm a Viola freak). But set 2 - DAMN. They opened with China > Rider, and it included the '74-style descending chord jam that made '73-'74 China Riders so amazing. It was perfect. After a Sailor > Saint > Deal it got REAL good. They did a VERY intense Stronger Than Dirt that was so spot on I was just left dumbstruck - I was maybe 10 feet or less from Kenny, and that man's fingers were spidering up and down the fretboard like few players I've ever seen. It was that good.

Next up was a flawless Unbroken Chain, miles better than any live version The Dead ever played. THEN a complete Weather Report Suite that had Kenny playing the super fast early 80s Jerry licks during the Let It Grow that was simply unbelieveable. 

I left at 2 AM (had an hour drive in dense fog to get home) and they were still going strong. Missed a '77-style Dancin, and a Music encore.

I can't recommend these guys enough. See 'em.

Someone received this:

You are receiving this message becasue we want to confirm that you are at

the same address entered at checkout for your preorder of Dave's Picks
Volume 11: Century II Convention Hall, Wichita, KS 11/17/72

Last night I heard (for the second time) what might just be the BEST GD tribute band I've ever caught live, and I've seen a lot of 'em. Out of Dallas, TX. Their name is Forgotten Space. Yo, Deadheads - if they come to your area do NOT miss 'em.

The guitarist (Kenny) was a founding member of The New Bohemians, and he must have woodshedded like a motherfucker cause he was just KILLING it all night long. I saw some of the very best guitar playing I've seen in a LONG time, by anyone last night. The Rhythm guitarist (Hunter) is no slouch, either - he really knows those odd chords and voicings that Bobby uses.

They opened with a monster Shakedown and it was a solid first set. The soloing during Lazy Lightning > Supplication was incredible.Viola Lee 2/3 of the way through set 1 made me pretty damn stoked (if you know me, you know I'm a Viola freak). But set 2 - DAMN. They opened with China > Rider, and it included the '74-style descending chord jam that made '73-'74 China Riders so amazing. It was perfect. After a Sailor > Saint > Deal it got REAL good. They did a VERY intense Stronger Than Dirt that was so spot on I was just left dumbstruck - I was maybe 10 feet or less from Kenny, and that man's fingers were spidering up and down the fretboard like few players I've ever seen. It was that good.

Next up was a flawless Unbroken Chain, miles better than any live version The Dead ever played. THEN a complete Weather Report Suite that had Kenny playing the super fast early 80s Jerry licks during the Let It Grow that was simply unbelieveable. 

I left at 2 AM (had an hour drive in dense fog to get home) and they were still going strong. Missed a '77-style Dancin, and a Music encore.

I can't recommend these guys enough. See 'em.

Thanks for the info.  This sounds exactly what I think the legacy should be…bands playing tribute to the Dead rather than trying to be the Dead a la DSO.  I love the guy from New Bohemians.  He's not trying to be Jerry, but has his own clean tone that fits in well with the music.  He can also fill the music unlike most of the others.  Hope these guys come play down south sometime soon!

Forgotten Space is playing in Chicago this Thursday - will try to catch them. Only $12 - too - which is good.

where at?

Martyrs'

Oh yeah, great place. Too bad I dont live 3 blocks away from there any longer....