Bands with critical acclaim/respect that don't deserve it.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you are dead to me.

Defend them.  I'm convincable.

Minor Threat???.

Just based on Dischord Records alone, I can't see how they are deemed overrated.

Social D, 100% overrated.

Arcade Fire

Jeff Buckley

Pearl Jam

Animal Collective

The Beach Boys

Respect to them for starting a label (same goes to Mac & LAura from Superchunk, or anyone else who does it), but as a music act they are not good.

Bad Religion.

They are no Bad Brains but not good? Do you like that style of music in general?

Yes, for example, I like pre-Rollins Black Flag, early Redd Kross, even some of the pre-rap Beastie Boys, etc. 

Defend them.  I'm convincable.

I don't think that it's anything that I can defend, per se. It's something that you just have to feel.

I mean, yeah, they're basically just a bar band, but they're a goddamn INSPIRED bar band. And, as such, they have inspired not just me, but hundreds of other bands throughout the years, including the one that has brought us all together at this site.

I guess the best I can do is maybe quote a lyric:

"God, what a mess, on the ladder of success

Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Dreams unfulfilled, graduate unskilled

It beats pickin' cotton and waitin' to be forgotten

We are the sons of no one, bastards of young

We are the sons of no one, bastards of young

The daughters and the sons"

Yeah and its too bad because they started out great.. Then they had to get all pussy Eagles or something.. 

I guess I never heard their great stuff.  Only the pussy eagles era.

I could add to this list:  Any current band that appears on an Uncut magazine cd comp.

Jesus, Westerberg is one of the best song writers ever. That alone is enough for me but there's so much more to them. I understand why some aren't into it but for me they rank very high.

They should be inducted but I don't think they or their fans would be shocked if it didn't happen. Replacements fans have learned not to expect much.

Not deserving of the critical acclaim that they get:

• Any Rolling Stones record post-Tattoo You.

Jesus, Westerberg is one of the best song writers ever. That alone is enough for me but there's so much more to them. I understand why some aren't into it but for me they rank very high. They should be inducted but I don't think they or their fans would be shocked if it didn't happen.

I think they're a good band with good songs, but I don't think there's anything especially notable about them.   There were certainly worse bands (and better bands).   Their fans are aggressive chearleaders and that goes a long way towards overinflating things.