Bands with critical acclaim/respect that don't deserve it.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am in no way the biggest Beatles fan here, but I think the Fabs should be exempt from this conversation. Undeniably the most influential band in popular music in the last 50 years.

Okay, you're no longer dead to me.  Anyone who says the Beatles are overrated has no concept of history.  Period.  Look at rock music in 1963 and what it was by 1970.  Their willingness to pioneer Dylanesque, psychedelic, and experimental music and put their popularity on the line in doing so forever changed EVERYTHING in pop music.

Boy  this topic took off, started today and on p. 7 already.  Haven't had time to read through this, but quick and off the top of my head:

Radiohead

Try as I might, don't get them and don't see the reason for all the critical acclaim, from industry critics and civilians.  

I'm not a big Radiohead fan, myself. Just not into them.

But I get it.

And while I am not going to go out of my way to listen to them, I can see why they are exalted as they are... they are always taking risks and, more often than not, they seem to hit their mark. It just happens to be a mark that I am not going to seek out, myself.

But I think that you have to give them props.

I give that a big Wow.

Now having read through all 7+ pages of this thread I see there was quite a bit of discussion about the Clash. When I go back and look at the title of this thread I don't see how the Clash make the list. I lived through the Clash era, maybe that colors my perspective. They were more than the notes of their music, they inspired a generation living in the bleak alienated times of England's Margaret Thatcher. They had a broad scope of musical styles that went way beyond what would be called " punk." I loved the music, and still do. I get that's a matter of personal taste, but their influence and importance is undeniable. Like the music or not, hard for me to see that the Clash were undeserving of critical acclaim/respect.

Sorry for the rant. I'll take a deep breath now.

Virtuoso men's nothing when you make music that is not interesting...to me at least. The world is full of great guitarists but if they don't capture my attention then they are overrated IMHO. I would rather spend all day listening to Paul Westerbergs sloppy playing than have to sit through a single Jeff Beck tune

Seconded. Jeff Beck may be a hall of famer, but he bores me to tears.

I lived through the Clash era, maybe that colors my perspective.

Maybe, but hell - I didn't get into them until I was in my mid-20s in 1999-2000, living in the Northeast US, and my appreciation for them really couldn't be greater. Anyone putting The Clash in this thread probably hit his/her head on something too hard.

Seconded. Jeff Beck may be a hall of famer, but he bores me to tears.

Usually I'll agree with instrumentalists like that, but this song doesn't bore me to tears, it brings me to tears,

Fucking brilliant instrumental cover of Stevie Wonder.

You may not be a fan of instrumental music, in general. But I think that you have to agree that Beck just GETS IT. It's not just virtuosity for its own sake. He knows what music is all about, and he knows how to get you there, if you are open to him bringing you there.