Bands with critical acclaim/respect that don't deserve it.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OBJECTIVELY if I hear something that I don't like don't get think is overrated then my thoughts are going to go towards thinking that what I was told was wrong and probably not deserving of that praise in my opinion. This whole thing is about opinions does my opinion and critics opinions fall in line with each other? One persons might while the next ones does not, hence the topic is pretty much a no- win proposition .

OBJECTIVELY if I hear something that I don't like don't get think is overrated then my thoughts are going to go towards thinking that what I was told was wrong and probably not deserving of that praise in my opinion. This whole thing is about opinions does my opinion and critics opinions fall in line with each other? One persons might while the next ones does not, hence the topic is pretty much a no- win proposition .

Whew, that's a relief.  Now I don't have to come up with the $1,000 prize I was going to give to the winner.

I think that this can sum up the whole thread, for everybody.

(The sentiment of the song, not the band):

Sorry if this is repeating someone else, but I still don't understand how anyone can say someone/something/group of people/band, etc. doesn't "deserve" the acclaim or respect they have received.  If they received it, then someone somewhere things they deserve it, regardless of whether or not everyone agrees with it. This whole thread hurts my brain.

Sorry if this is repeating someone else, but I still don't understand how anyone can say someone/something/group of people/band, etc. doesn't "deserve" the acclaim or respect they have received.  If they received it, then someone somewhere things they deserve it, regardless of whether or not everyone agrees with it. This whole thread hurts my brain.

I think the argument is that the people granting the acclaim and/or respect are stupidheads.

So the hive mind (be it critics or punters) is never wrong?

So the hive mind (be it critics or punters) is never wrong?

It still comes down to opinions, which makes this thread no different from any other thread discussing the merits of one band vs. the next.

It still comes down to opinions, which makes this thread no different from any other thread discussing the merits of one band vs. the next.

No, it is different.  Instead of comparing what I think about this band versus your thoughts, it is a comparison of some greater critical consensus versus an individual experience of it.  True it is also subjective, but that's what makes it interesting.  

But where do you find the greater critical consensus.  Is there a list?

It's well known that there are bands that "serious music fans" are "supposed to like" and we all know who they are.  Stop being difficult.