Bands with critical acclaim/respect that don't deserve it.

I don't know.  White priviledge and class warfare/media manipulation don't strike me as particularly funny song subjects.  More of the same from them.  Everything has to be an important statement about some aspect of our fucked up society.   I realize that's their shtick, and sometimes it works.  It doesn't come across as funny, though.   Dead Kennedy's had a similar shtick, but they knew how to make it funny (although it was annoying at times, too).

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll re-enter the conversation when I recover from the blow caused by the discovery that people on this forum don't like the Clash.

We all become better people once we realize that not everyone is created in our own image.

YouAreDeadtoMe

I was wondering when you were going to chime in on Springsteen.

I don't think we can ever take away what an artist has done, even if they don't do what they used to do. Wilco's output isn't what it used to be, but they're still going strong, especially live. Same is true with Springsteen. Even Dylan says he can never again write songs like he did early on. You can debate whether he's any good live anymore or his last few albums, but the acclaim is earned. You really need to go on totality. We may not love an artist's current work, but still dig their live shows; or just maintain respect for someone for what they've accomplished. They've earned the appreciation.

I mean, seriously, The Eagles are a true candidate for over-acclaimed or over-respected by general pop music fans. A lot artists mentioned here have earned acclaim over a long period of time at some point in their careers, usually early on. It's hard for anyone to keep up the output, but no one can take away what they've achieved.

Oh yeah, I forgot about him. Add him to my list.

Dead...you hear me? DEAD

I never saw the Lips do their gimmick shows. I kinda wished I did but the two concerts I saw them do were fine, just straight ahead rock shows (except one they handed out FM headphones and receivers; and the drummer was on tape, not live).

This says you're wrong

I don't think it's "wrong" to dislike any artist. The Clash annoy me. Simple as that. They were assembled by a manager like a boy band and chose a punk image. I think a lot of their acclaim is undeserved. It's only my opinion (as I stated in my very first post on this thread). I didn't mean that anyone else should share it.

For all the arguing about this stuff, it's worth remembering that most of us probably share a lot of common ground musically. Why get too hung up on the ones we don't agree on?

I don't think it's "wrong" to dislike any artist. The Clash annoy me. Simple as that. They were assembled by a manager like a boy band and chose a punk image. I think a lot of their acclaim is undeserved. It's only my opinion (as I stated in my very first post on this thread). I didn't mean that anyone else should share it.

For all the arguing about this stuff, it's worth remembering that most of us probably share a lot of common ground musically. Why get too hung up on the ones we don't agree on?

To answer your question: Because it's exciting to get riled up about shit.

To your boy band point: What's your point?