Bands with critical acclaim/respect that don't deserve it.

I would say Dylan is one you couldn't argue with, as with the Beatles, (Yellow Submarine always puts me on edge) - I would of course would have to say the Stones too ---- the Stones have a lot of holes, sure, but one can't argue (too much) with their success and longevity, from a rock and roll band perspective. Dylan has a few bum records, too, and his recent performances are nothing too, too special, but again he is still out there producing new music and performing.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm a huge fan, but neil young?  i really can't explain his success.  it's been problem for him to, me thinks.  he's put out loads of crap since the 70s (crap i tend to like), and everyone gobbles it up.  i wish these heritage artists still had something to prove, then they maybe wouldn't release every tune that comes out of their ass.  case in point, neil's le noise.  that album is laughably bad.  dylan, for some reason has remained strong since his last mis-step of under a red sky.  

Yeah, but you think Springsteen is the greatest thing ever so...

I notice nobody has thrown out Dylan even ironically.  Is that the one artist you can't argue about?

Springsteen, Replacements, VU, Nirvana....good calls.  

I like Bruce a bit, but his shtick was really revealed to me when I saw him live.  It was like a well intentioned musical.  All the songs didn't seem to come from the heart but from a place of 'i'm gonna write these anthems to play in arenas'.  it seem very calculated to me.  i'm a cynic though.  wilco is as curated as it gets.

i'm a huge fan, but neil young?  i really can't explain his success.  it's been problem for him to, me thinks.  he's put out loads of crap since the 70s (crap i tend to like), and everyone gobbles it up.  i wish these heritage artists still had something to prove, then they maybe would release every tune that comes out of their ass.  case in point, neil's le noise.  that album is laughably bad.  dylan, for some reason has remained strong since his last mis-step of under a red sky.  

no, Fork In The Road or Living With War are laughably bad.

did you not like Psychedelic Pill?

Neil does what's good he thinks is good for Neil, not for a perceived audience.

no, Fork In The Road or Living With War are laughably bad.

did you not like Psychedelic Pill?

Neil does what's good he thinks is good for Neil, not for a perceived audience.

Those were pretty bad, but I liked a few tunes on the them (After the Garden, Just Singing a Song).  I couldn't find one redeeming tune on Le Noise.  I did like Psychedelic Pill, but a 25 minute song?  It had some good songs, but it was such a sloppy album, even by Crazy Horse standards.  And, yeah, I know Neil does what he wants.  A true artist.  Lately, he seems like more of an asshole than anything else.  Selling Blue-Ray to his fans and monthly archive downloads that stopped almost immediately. Now he's gonna sell all of his music again via PONO.  What I can't figure out is the Neil apologists like Thrasher at thrasherswheat.org.  That dude can be critical about anything but Neil Young.  Capitalism at it's best.  Of course, I'll be watching the Bridge shows this weekend!

Yeah, but you think Springsteen is the greatest thing ever so...

I notice nobody has thrown out Dylan even ironically.  Is that the one artist you can't argue about?

No...I don't think Springsteen is the greatest thing ever. However, I view his first 7 records as being one of the best 12 year runs in history. Everything after 1984 is definitely hit and miss.

If you get right down to it, there are bands that are beyond the simple judgment of the individual; History has spoken: Springsteen, Dylan, The Beatles, The Grateful Dead (although I really don't get 'em, I understand why they are acclaimed and loved).

No...I don't think Springsteen is the greatest thing ever. However, I view his first 7 records as being one of the best 12 year runs in history. Everything after 1984 is definitely hit and miss.

If you get right down to it, there are bands that are beyond the simple judgment of the individual; History has spoken: Springsteen, Dylan, The Beatles, The Grateful Dead (although I really don't get 'em, I understand why they are acclaimed and loved).

I had a helluva run from 1992 to 2004.

I had a helluva run from 1992 to 2004.

And from 2004-2013...kinda spotty?

Guest Don Draper

I have trouble weighing in with an objectively subjective opinion because I cannot stand the schlocky production that was so popular in the 80s.

And Arcade Fire makes me want to drown kittens.

Weezer was once great.  And they could have gone down as one of the all time great influential rock bands (they have influenced more bands than many realize).  But the garbage they have released over the last several years has permanently tarnished their legacy and any hopes of greatness died when Rivers uttered the words "we are all on drugs" from their first horrible album, Make Believe.  

• 2 months later...

this isn't quite the right thread, but i couldn't find the 'most underrated' one...i think this took a detour into that land.

anyway, i was reading the newest issue of The Big Takeover (full disclosure - i am a contributor) and read the excellent essay from Tim Sommer on that very subject. I won't spoil it for people who want to read it, but i totally agree w/ his #1 pick and have some serious digging to do w/ his #2 selection.