Bands with critical acclaim/respect that don't deserve it.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fine. Worry.

Creep factor from most to least. 

Scenario 1. I'm driving in my car with a pal. a Taylor Swift song comes on the radio. I try to change the station. He stops me because he LOVES this song!

Creep factor: Heebie jeebies.

Scenario 2. I'm driving in my car with a pal. a Taylor Swift song comes on the radio. He starts belting out

I remember when we broke up the first time
Saying, "This is it, I've had enough," 'cause like
We hadn't seen each other in a month
When you said you needed space. (What?)
Then you come around again and say
"Baby, I miss you and I swear I'm gonna change, trust me."
Remember how that lasted for a day?
I say, "I hate you," we break up, you call me, "I love you."

Creep factor: high. (Unless! We're both high or tripping balls, in which case I would probably start laughing, and would be amazed that he knew the lyrics to a TS song.)

3. He puts a Taylor Swift song on the jukebox at the local. 

Creep factor: undecided. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and appreciate that he put the song on for my wife or some other girl, who better be there.

So am I only to listen to age appropriate or music specifically marketed for my age group? No more music directed at teens or young adults? I'm 53 so I guess I give up the music of my yout.

No, please. Carry on. Whatever floats your boat. 

But, I get creeped out when I see an older guy at a Blackhawks game wearing a Patrick Kane jersey. For a kid? great. For an older guy? Go with Magnusson or Hull or even Roenick.

The Beatles were the first boy band that all the teen-aged girls loved. I wonder if dudes were called creeps for liking them back in the early 60s.

There was something in the Anthology about Paul getting a little creeped out that so many French dudes were into them when they played Paris early on.

The Beatles were the first boy band that all the teen-aged girls loved. I wonder if dudes were called creeps for liking them back in the early 60s.

I think they were called "demons" or "homosexuals"

3. He puts a Taylor Swift song on the jukebox at the local. 

Creep factor: undecided. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and appreciate that he put the song on for my wife or some other girl, who better be there.

I suggest going to bars that don't have Taylor Swift on the jukebox.

Ha - I love that Sleep's Dopesmoker is WAY up on that list. I have yet to have the patience to listen to it all the way through...

really? 

grab some green, spark up, float on. it's a great voyage.

i wish they'd do the whole thing in concert, though they do sections. "Cultivator" in particular is quite excellent. i'll drop that idea in their ears when i see them next month.

I only know of one Taylor swift song, but it was catchy. Just seems like she's got a good head on her shoulders and actually writes and performs. And doesn't have to be a sideshow to get acclaim. I admire that.

What is middle-aged these days?

I'm pretty sure I'm it.

sorry. i thought every male on the Wilco board was a dad.

I am a dad.

But, I get creeped out when I see an older guy at a Blackhawks game wearing a Patrick Kane jersey. For a kid? great. For an older guy? Go with Magnusson or Hull or even Roenick.

Now you're just being silly.

No, please. Carry on. Whatever floats your boat.

But those vintage jerseys are expensive. What if I like Kane or Toews? It's a young mans game and those are the young men we root for these days. Mikita,Hull (Dennis and Bobby), Esposito, Korral, Magnesson et al no longer play so I wear the current teams players. As a sox fan am I limited to Wilbur Wood? Bill Melton and Chet Lemon? I can't imagine that. I guess I should only go to games where they wear throwback uniforms too, because it's creepy that I love the current uniforms.

This conversation has jumped the shark

But those vintage jerseys are expensive. What if I like Kane or Toews? It's a young mans game and those are the young men we root for these days. Mikita,Hull (Dennis and Bobby), Esposito, Korral, Magnesson et al no longer play so I wear the current teams players. As a sox fan am I limited to Wilbur Wood? Bill Melton and Chet Lemon? I can't imagine that. I guess I should only go to games where they wear throwback uniforms too, because it's creepy that I love the current uniforms.

This conversation has jumped the shark

Ha. I have a Chet the Jet tshirt. 

Anyway, I'm not sure why you're concerned with what I think is creepy. 

But here's another one: Dudes should not wear a Cutler jersey. Or Robbie Gould. Those are for the ladies only. 

Nirvana

Replacements

Velvet Underground

There...I said  it.

Yeah, but you think Springsteen is the greatest thing ever so...

I notice nobody has thrown out Dylan even ironically.  Is that the one artist you can't argue about?