Bands with critical acclaim/respect that don't deserve it.

To answer your question: Because it's exciting to get riled up about shit.

To your boy band point: What's your point?

I get that. Unfortunately it's more fun in person. It's hard to convey tone on a message board. Things are easily misconstrued.

The boy band thing? It mostly matters because Strummer was always celebrated for his authenticity, and I think allowing himself to be part of an assembled, marketed product kind of ran directly counter to that.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatever it is you're referring to (admittedly I don't know a lot about The Clash's story besides the music), I have a feeling you're overstating it. Just a hunch. And this is probably also coming across too serious because we're not talking in person.

Whatever it is you're referring to (admittedly I don't know a lot about The Clash's story besides the music), I have a feeling you're overstating it. Just a hunch. And this is probably also coming across too serious because we're not talking in person.

There was definitely a "we just saw the sex pistols, and this thing (punk) is going to blow up, let's buy-in early" vibe about assembling The Clash, pushed along by professional huckster Bernie Rhodes. Paul Simonon couldn't even play bass, and he was asked to join!

Definitely not as romantic as Paul seeing John play at a church soiree, but not quite as manufactured as The Monkees. 

Well the music's what matters, and clearly you love it. I'm not going to shit all over that.

For what it's worth, my wife LOVES The Clash. We've had this same discussion several times and are somehow still happily together. :)

I don't think it's "wrong" to dislike any artist. The Clash annoy me. Simple as that. They were assembled by a manager like a boy band and chose a punk image. I think a lot of their acclaim is undeserved. It's only my opinion (as I stated in my very first post on this thread). I didn't mean that anyone else should share it.

For all the arguing about this stuff, it's worth remembering that most of us probably share a lot of common ground musically. Why get too hung

up on the ones we don't agree on?

Seconded.

But then they took some guy's advice

To get a record deal, he said,

They'd have to be more punk

Forget their chops

And play real dumb

Or else they would be sunk

Joe Bonamassa is worse than Dick Cheney.

god damn that's pretty bad. hes coming to the landmark here in Richmond in a bit and I cant believe he could put anywhere near 3000 people in seats

I haven't heard Eric Clapton mentioned in here anywhere. Im kinda surprised and the guy that said The Minutemen can blow billy goats

god damn that's pretty bad. hes coming to the landmark here in Richmond in a bit and I cant believe he could put anywhere near 3000 people in seats

I haven't heard Eric Clapton mentioned in here anywhere. Im kinda surprised and the guy that said The Minutemen can blow billy goats

I forgot I had mentioned Joe Bonamassa twice.  He's coming to Atlanta soon and his show is being billed as "The Guitar Event of the Year."  :yeaahh  I've read a couple interviews with him and tried to watch his PBS special.  Between the two, he comes across as a massive douche.  He's a moderately good guitar player in the most generic way possible.  He has a hell of a guitar and amp collection, though*, and that appeals to lawyers and executives who collect guitars as a hobby.

I think someone did mention Clapton.   If anyoe deserves to be in this thread, it's him.

*Which makes me wonder why it's always good bands who have their equipment stolen and not no-count showboaters like this guy.

I think someone did mention Clapton.   If anyoe deserves to be in this thread, it's him.

Yeah, one of the greatest guitarists of all time (arguably the greatest) doesn't deserve critical acclaim... 

Did you eat paint chips as a kid?

Yeah, one of the greatest guitarists of all time (arguably the greatest) doesn't deserve critical acclaim... 

You're joking, right?  The greatest of all time?  I'm not saying he's terrible, but nobody could convincingly argue that he's the greatest of all time, or even close.   Hell, just about the entire lineup of any of his own Crossroads Festivals is stacked with better guitarists.

As an instrumentalist, he does.

But as a bandleader/songwriter—apart from one album (Layla) and maybe one or two songs from other records—not even a little bit.

You seem tense. It's all subjective.

Personally, I find Clapton's playing boring and his songwriting uninspired. White boy blues personified. I think a lot of people - certainly a lot of players - hold Clapton up as great because it's just always kind of been accepted. There were/are many far better players from his own era to present who leave him in the dust both technically and from a songwriting standpoint. I think he'd be the first to admit it.

You're joking, right?  The greatest of all time?  I'm not saying he's terrible, but nobody could convincingly argue that he's the greatest of all time, or even close.   Hell, just about the entire lineup of any of his own Crossroads Festivals is stacked with better guitarists.

I totally agree - never been a fan of neutered blues licks.

I know, I don't know why I got tense.. I have had to defend Eric on this forum before which is crazy.  But it's cool.  Subjective, and all that.  This is a fun/dumb thread after all.  

This is a good read though:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/100-greatest-artists-of-all-time-19691231/eric-clapton-20110420

"Eric Clapton is the most important and influential guitar player that has ever lived, is still living or ever will live."

"Eric Clapton is the most important and influential guitar player that has ever lived, is still living or ever will live."

I would agree with this.  Eric Clapton is why we now have a world full of Joe Bonamassas.  Thanks Eric.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/100-greatest-artists-of-all-time-19691231/eric-clapton-20110420

"Zoot Horn Rollo is the most important and influential guitar player that has ever lived, is still living or ever will live" - me

I'm not sure what a Joe Bonamassas is.  

I wish I was you.

"Zoot Horn Rollo is the most important and influential guitar player that has ever lived, is still living or ever will live" - me

Oh what a wonderful world it would be if that were so.

Oh I just need to see him live, right?

I used to think you understood things.. First it was The Clash, and now this??  

Show me a windmill and I'll run headfirst into it.

I know, I don't know why I got tense.. I have had to defend Eric on this forum before which is crazy. But it's cool. Subjective, and all that. This is a fun/dumb thread after all.

This is a good read though:

I know he was a big influence on that hack Robert Johnson! :)

To me, Hendrix will always be the best for rock guitar. There are so many greats, though. Most genres have at least a few players who can make my head spin. Especially some of the fingerstyle guys. Mind blowing.

I like Clapton's entire Gibson period and the first year or so of his Strat period.  Layla and his first solo record.  Slowhand has some good playing, too, if I recall (The Core).  I don't want to sound like I can't stand the guy, but he's definitely received decades of the highest possible acclaim based on only a few short years of notable contributions.