Bands with critical acclaim/respect that don't deserve it.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Usually I'll agree with instrumentalists like that, but this song doesn't bore me to tears, it brings me to tears,

Fucking brilliant instrumental cover of Stevie Wonder.

You may not be a fan of instrumental music, in general. But I think that you have to agree that Beck just GETS IT. It's not just virtuosity for its own sake. He knows what music is all about, and he knows how to get you there, if you are open to him bringing you there.

Nope, could not get past the first 20 seconds of that. I am a huge fan of all sorts of instrumental music, just not his.

Don't care for the Clash either. If I want to hear 3 chord rock, I'll take The Who. Always surprised me how highly people rated them. I think it was more about politics and attitude than about any kind of musicianship, but that's just my opinion.

Nope, could not get past the first 20 seconds of that. I am a huge fan of all sorts of instrumental music, just not his.

Don't care for the Clash either. If I want to hear 3 chord rock, I'll take The Who. Always surprised me how highly people rated them. I think it was more about politics and attitude than about any kind of musicianship, but that's just my opinion.

Or else, it's just that it hits me in a way that it doesn't hit you.

As you stated yourself: "opinion."

And everybody's got one.

"musicianship" is vastly overrated in the context of what makes music great.

The discussion about the Clash makes me want to draw attention back to the title of this thread: "Bands with critical acclaim/respect that don't deserve it."  Not "bands who have a following who's music I don't like."  Whether political or not, do people who don't appreciate the music of the Clash believe that they don't deserve the critical acclaim/respect that they've garnered?  Can the two questions (personal taste vs. acknowledgment of acclaim/respect despite personal distaste or antipathy towards the music) be separated?  It may be a subtle distinction. 

i think it comes down to the differentiation of personal taste vs collective critical taste (and defining that could be argued endlessly).

yup.

I just wanted to weigh in on Jeff Beck and say imo he is the most unique, inventive, original guitarist alive today (at least in the realm of popular music). His way of phrasing is such that I have a difficult time spotting any influences, save Jimi perhaps. It's like he just sprung up full grown from the Earth. I NEVER can figure out what he's going to do next! It's always some accent or lick that I never would have thought of, and it's weird as fuck, but it always seems to fit perfectly. I just love the guy.

The discussion about the Clash makes me want to draw attention back to the title of this thread: "Bands with critical acclaim/respect that don't deserve it."  Not "bands who have a following who's music I don't like."  Whether political or not, do people who don't appreciate the music of the Clash believe that they don't deserve the critical acclaim/respect that they've garnered?  Can the two questions (personal taste vs. acknowledgment of acclaim/respect despite personal distaste or antipathy towards the music) be separated?  It may be a subtle distinction. 

I stated before that I don't enjoy the Clash (a song now and then is ok, but I could never make it through an entire album), but I wouldn't deny that they deserve respect.   I think the reason I don't enjoy their music is because I have never been able to detect any humor in it.  They come across as taking themselves too seriously.

It's the same thing.

I don't think so.  There are any number of bands I can't stand, but wouldn't place on this list.  Black Sabbath for example (even though they were my first or second concert when I was 13, Master of Reality tour at the Academy of Music).  I don't like anything about them but I recognize they've had a number of anthemic songs and an important impact on an entire genre of music over a long period of time, so I wouldn't say they don't deserve the critical acclaim/respect they've had.  So to me, there is a distinction.

I stated before that I don't enjoy the Clash (a song now and then is ok, but I could never make it through an entire album), but I wouldn't deny that they deserve respect.   I think the reason I don't enjoy their music is because I have never been able to detect any humor in it.  They come across as taking themselves too seriously.

That's wild - I think they can be really hilarious, a lot.

I don't think so.  There are any number of bands I can't stand, but wouldn't place on this list.  So to me, there is a distinction.

Again: Radiohead.

(Although I wouldn't say that I "can't stand" them, but I am not a big fan.)

I don't think so.  There are any number of bands I can't stand, but wouldn't place on this list.  Black Sabbath for example (even though they were my first or second concert when I was 13, Master of Reality tour at the Academy of Music).  I don't like anything about them but I recognize they've had a number of anthemic songs and an important impact on an entire genre of music over a long period of time, so I wouldn't say they don't deserve the critical acclaim/respect they've had.  So to me, there is a distinction.

Based on my own criteria, I should go back and delete my post adding Radiohead to this category.  Though I've tried and tried to like their music without success, I'm not going to deny them their critical acclaim/respect.

Would you care to offer an example?

Safe European Home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_6UTZb-_vI

well, i just got back an' i wish i never leave now (where'd you go?)

who dat martian arrival at the airport yeah?(where'd you go?)

how many local dollars for a local anaesthetic?(where'd you go?)

the johnny on the corner wasn't very sympathetic (where'd you go?)

i went to the place where every white face is an

invitation to robbery

sitting here in my safe european home

don't wanna go back there again

wasn't i lucky n' wouldn't it be loverly? (where'd you go?)

send us all cards, an' have a laying in on a sunday (where'd you go?)

i was there for two weeks, so how come i never tell now (where'd you go?)

that natty dread drinks at the sheraton hotel (where'd you go?)

invitation to robbery

don't wanna go back there again

now they got the sun, an' they got the palm trees

they got the weed, an' they got the taxis

whoa, the harder they come, n' the home of ol' bluebeat

yes i'd stay an' be a tourist but i can't take the gunplay

invitation to robbery

i don't wanna go back there again