I always thought that the "Mid-life" crisis was just and urban legend...an old wives' tale...a stereotype about desperate old men.

As I find myself staring in the abyss of the end, the soul killing repetitive routine and the desperation of unremitting boredom, I understand.

I think I finally understand George Sanders.

Sounds like you may have actually missed your mid-life crisis if you're well into the back 9 already. After I divorced in '07 I met a 29 yr old who's 12-13 younger than me a couple years later that I'll be marrying this summer. It made the turmoil seem less turmoil-ish.  Kind of made a very short ride of any "crisis".

Hell, MY mid-life crisis happened when I was about 27. I was drunk that entire year.

I'm 50 now. I feel like I've went WAAAY past my expectations on my longevity. It's all gravy now!

Honestly, I truly just do not give a fuck about almost anything  now. I opted for fun in this lifetime, and fun I shall have.

I think for many people (myself included) a "midlife crisis" is really just coming to terms with having gradually or suddenly realized what you actually want out of life, and if it's not immediately available, getting bent out of shape about it.  Only thing that seems to work is getting the courage to actually make changes.  I got out of a really unhappy marriage, got help for an addiction that very nearly killed me, started playing and recording music again, and got healthy(er).  Then I found the kind of marriage I had really wanted in the first place.

A second message board really helps, too.

I think for many people (myself included) a "midlife crisis" is really just coming to terms with having gradually or suddenly realized what you actually want out of life, and if it's not immediately available, getting bent out of shape about it. Only thing that seems to work is getting the courage to actually make changes. I got out of a really unhappy marriage, got help for an addiction that very nearly killed me, started playing and recording music again, and got healthy(er). Then I found the kind of marriage I had really wanted in the first place.

Right. For me, it's not so much about fear of my life being close to half over as much as realizing that where I'm (was) headed isn't where I want to be and trying to figure out how to change that.

For me - it's a matter of having an uninteresting office job, but not skilled enough (or willing to start over at the bottom) to start a new career, and trying to convince the missus that we could open up our own pub/joint, make it a place we like being at all day, make it our home, be able to spend all day together, cook the delicious food that we're good at (I'd handle the protein, she'd handle the greens), but then realizing that the insurance and benefits I have are awesome, and that on our own, we would be effed for benefits, but also realizing I'm in a bad mood a lot of the time because I keep a dark opinion about my current job, but we have a little one that depends on us... So I try to focus on the blessings, like the joy that I get from my son every day, and the luck we all have in being healthy, and the luck I have that I have a great relationship with my wife. And I started fiddle lessons this year, which I'm really enjoying.

Does a mid-life health crisis count? After being hospitalized with pulmonary emboli, I spent two years being obsessively anxious about my health, complete with panic attacks and multiple doctor trips.

I also have a job that pays fairly well with good hours that I don't really like all that much, but find myself in a similar position as Winston in the post above. I try to focus on other interests and work hard to be the best father, husband, friend I can be.

For me - it's a matter of having an uninteresting office job, but not skilled enough (or willing to start over at the bottom) to start a new career, and trying to convince the missus that we could open up our own pub/joint, make it a place we like being at all day, make it our home, be able to spend all day together, cook the delicious food that we're good at (I'd handle the protein, she'd handle the greens), but then realizing that the insurance and benefits I have are awesome, and that on our own, we would be effed for benefits, but also realizing I'm in a bad mood a lot of the time because I keep a dark opinion about my current job, but we have a little one that depends on us... So I try to focus on the blessings, like the joy that I get from my son every day, and the luck we all have in being healthy, and the luck I have that I gave a great relationship with my wife. And I started fiddle lessons this year, which I'm really enjoying.

yup