I am not a fan of Christmas or the holidays in general

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with what you're saying about the commercialization and waste of money. I spend little on others and want little spent on me, which is good because that is the opposite of my wife. We love the holidays, mainly because in 5 hours, we won't return to work for 9 days. 3 weeks after our return, we'll have another 16 work-free days. Granted, all of those days are also salary-free, but I'm not complaining.

I love everything about Christmas and the holidays. The decorations, the family time, the weather, the music, the gifts, Christmas cookies, watching my daughter soak it all in, and the general joy and happiness.

Maybe you're doing it wrong.

It was christmas eve babe
In the drunk tank
An old man said to me: won't see another one
And then they sang a song
The rare old mountain dew
I turned my face away and dreamed about you
Got on a lucky one
Came in eighteen to one
I´ve got a feeling
This year´s for me and you
So happy christmas
I love you baby
I can see a better time
Where all our dreams come true.

They got cars big as bars
They got rivers of gold
But the wind goes right through you
It´s no place for the old
When you first took my hand on a cold christmas eve
You promised me broadway was waiting for me
You were handsome you were pretty
Queen of new york city when the band finished playing they yelled out for more
Sinatra was swinging all the drunks they were singing
We kissed on a corner
Then danced through the night.

And the boys from the NYPD choir were singing Galway Bay
And the bells were ringing out for christmas day.

You´re a bum you´re a punk
You´re an old slut on junk
Lying there almost dead on a drip in that bed
You scumbag you maggot
You cheap lousy faggot
Happy christmas your arse I pray god it´s our last.

And the boys of the NYPD choir's still singing Galway Bay
And the bells were ringing out
For christmas day.

I could have been someone
Well so could anyone
You took my dreams from me
When I first found you
I kept them with me babe
I put them with my own
Can´t make it out alone
I´ve built my dreams around you

And the boys of the NYPD choir's still singing Galway Bay
And the bells are ringing out
For christmas day.

my family is over 1,000 miles away and there is never any effort for any of them to come visit me and we can't afford to go to them. Christmas music sucks. I hate winter. I find no joy or happiness in a time of year where darkness rules. not everyone likes the holidays and I'm just one of those people. I don't have grandparents, I don't have kids. I'm not "doing it wrong," it's just not a time of year that I don't find pleasurable anymore. maybe when I was kid it was good. now it's just lonely and a current reflection of a terrible year.

I can't fathom what it must be like to go through life with a black cloud constantly overhead.

I didn't post it but I'm sorry for the "maybe you're doing it wrong" reply. It was ill-conceived. It shouldn't take much foresight to grasp that the glowing description of why someone loves it might not apply to everyone. Radiant Witch Face (I'm sure that you have a lovely name), I am assuming that you have Christmas day off. If so, make the most of making it into a day that you enjoy. Take advantage and use the time for Radiant Witch Face day.

I can't fathom what it must be like to go through life with a black cloud constantly overhead.

It isn't pleasant. Rejoice in the fact that you aren't clinically depressed or have another psychological issue (please don't read into this that I am assuming that someone else is or does). You should hang out with the "doing it wrong" guy.

It's a pain in the ass, at times, but I like doing shit with my kids and family around this time of year. I like the holiday tunes. I like the lights. I like driving into the mountains to cut down a tree with the family. I like the vibes, even in the harried streets and stores. I also get about 2-.5 weeks off, too, from before Xmas until after NYE.

I like it better between Xmas day and NYE. That's the money shot, there.

I like everything except wrapping presents and addressing cards.  I don't care for shopping crowds, but I avoid that by skipping big box stores and black friday.

Amazon is a godsend. Amazon Prime is the gravy on the balls of that godsend.

Amazon is a godsend. Amazon Prime is the gravy on the balls of that godsend.

QFT.  We literally bought all of my kids presents last year from Amazon.  Didn't set foot in a single store.  

I dig Christmas.  Just the whole vibe and atmosphere.  It's the only time of year that I'll eat amazing home cooking, seasonal beers, and not feel guilty about it.  

It isn't pleasant. Rejoice in the fact that you aren't clinically depressed or have another psychological issue (please don't read into this that I am assuming that someone else is or does). You should hang out with the "doing it wrong" guy.

Maybe it's me and I'm doing it wrong but I've always felt that holidays in general are about others, be it spending time with others, doing things for others, etc.

It seems IMO that a common thread with people who have a problem with holidays is that they focus on how the holiday relates to themselves, how it makes them feel personally. I'm sorry but that is missing the point IMO.

Holidays, like life in general is/are what you make of them.

I love this season. Many of the previous comments perfectly encapsulate why. We try to put a lot of thought into how we celebrate and make it meaningful every year, and usually succeed! 

When it comes to gifts, I don't thikn I've ever bought any family members a Christmas gift that falls under the description of "stuff that won't be used."  My brothers and I usually just give each other bottles of scotch and some music. I'm great with that. The wives/sisters-in-law all get fun girly stuff for each other. And we all pitch in for something for my mom. 

On my wife's side, the siblings do a name pick every year and usually cap the spending at $20. I usually ask for a CD or an iTunes gift card, which is perfect. Last year, my in-laws gave me The Beatles: In Mono box set.There's something that gets used pretty much every day. And my sister-in-law got me an awesome turntable cutting board and some other goodies for the kitchen. Again, stuff that gets used all the time.

Gifts aside, in recent years, the vibe has been a little different around the holidays on my side of the family since my dad died three years ago, but it gets a little easier every year. We've gone from having a huge elephant in the room and being totally crushed (he died in September 2010, so that first Christmas just a few months later was brutal) to just sharing stories and laughing a lot about the good times we had when he was alive. And now there are more babies and children in the family, so really it's about watching them enjoy it all. 

Christmas has always been special for me, and even more so now. My daughter was born last year on December 28, and so this will be her first Christmas this year. I'll always associate this time of year with her joining the world, and I can't wait to build new traditions with our family in the years to come. Christmas is terrific.

I didn't post it but I'm sorry for the "maybe you're doing it wrong" reply. It was ill-conceived. It shouldn't take much foresight to grasp that the glowing description of why someone loves it might not apply to everyone. Radiant Witch Face (I'm sure that you have a lovely name), I am assuming that you have Christmas day off. If so, make the most of making it into a day that you enjoy. Take advantage and use the time for Radiant Witch Face day.

No need to apologize for me. If you go into something negatively, you're not likely to find anything positive about it.

I love this season. Many of the previous comments perfectly encapsulate why. We try to put a lot of thought into how we celebrate and make it meaningful every year, and usually succeed! 

When it comes to gifts, I don't thikn I've ever bought any family members a Christmas gift that falls under the description of "stuff that won't be used."  My brothers and I usually just give each other bottles of scotch and some music. I'm great with that. The wives/sisters-in-law all get fun girly stuff for each other. And we all pitch in for something for my mom. 

On my wife's side, the siblings do a name pick every year and usually cap the spending at $20. I usually ask for a CD or an iTunes gift card, which is perfect. Last year, my in-laws gave me The Beatles: In Mono box set.There's something that gets used pretty much every day. And my sister-in-law got me an awesome turntable cutting board and some other goodies for the kitchen. Again, stuff that gets used all the time.

Gifts aside, in recent years, the vibe has been a little different around the holidays on my side of the family since my dad died three years ago, but it gets a little easier every year. We've gone from having a huge elephant in the room and being totally crushed (he died in September 2010, so that first Christmas just a few months later was brutal) to just sharing stories and laughing a lot about the good times we had when he was alive. And now there are more babies and children in the family, so really it's about watching them enjoy it all. 

Christmas has always been special for me, and even more so now. My daughter was born last year on December 28, and so this will be her first Christmas this year. I'll always associate this time of year with her joining the world, and I can't wait to build new traditions with our family in the years to come. Christmas is terrific.

That first Christmas without my mom was both emotionally tough for my family and one of the most memorable Christmases we ever experienced for all the reasons you just stated.

We've gone from having a huge elephant in the room and being totally crushed (he died in September 2010, so that first Christmas just a few months later was brutal) 

Yeah thats how it was last year for my Grandfather.  My Dad does his usual toast at the dinner table every year, and he couldn't get out a sentence without getting choked up.