Live versions differing from album versions

Which version is this?

re: acoustic "I'm Always in Love"

I'm not sure. It may be a live version. It's Jeff solo acoustic. I have it on a compilation disc that was circulating on here some years ago.....sorry, not much help. It's got a great vibe to it, though.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are several good solo acoustic versions of I'm Always in Love. The first few that come to mind are:

• Lounge Ax, 3-26-1998, audience recording that sounds like a soundboard, before Summerteeth was out and played in a totally different arrangement than the "standard" solo acoustic version
  • Harper College, 3-5-1999, nice soundboard recording, very quiet audience
  • Mandel Hall, University of Chicago, 2-25-2006, also a very quiet audience, the "standard" solo acoustic arrangement but played on a 12-string!

There are several good solo acoustic versions of I'm Always in Love. The first few that come to mind are:

• Lounge Ax, 3-26-1998, audience recording that sounds like a soundboard, before Summerteeth was out and played in a totally different arrangement than the "standard" solo acoustic version
  • Harper College, 3-5-1999, nice soundboard recording, very quiet audience
  • Mandel Hall, University of Chicago, 2-25-2006, also a very quiet audience, the "standard" solo acoustic arrangement but played on a 12-string!

Charlie, do you know the version from the compilation discs that circulated around here 5-6 years ago?  They might have been dubbed the "Complete Singles" discs....?

Me too. It's one of my very favorite songs, but the live version doesn't do it for me. Even when they played it live with the synth, the studio version was better. It's like those notes never hit exactly the right place, except for on ST.

Also prefer the live version of Laminated Cat. It's kind of subdued on the record, but when played live the drums sound really tribal, and I love those trippy sounds that Mikael plays.

Yes to both of these! I remember reading somewhere that Jay put an effect on the tape of the synth track to get that sound on the record. And they never quite were able to emulate it perfectly live. 

The 02-03 versions of Laminated Cat For The Season are just about my favorite Wilco song.

The most striking studio vs. live differences was the balls to the wall version of SOMEBODY ELSE'S SONG

I definitely like Dreamer In My Dreams on the album better than anything I've heard live lately. 

I love the fiddle part, and sorry, but Nels' guitar just doesn't fill it in for me like the album. 

And the raw, out-of-control-ness on the album doesn't seem to show up live. 

And I'm starting to re-like the album version of Spiders more than the current reworked version or the acoustic.

I think it's Jeff's electric guitar on the album.  I love that.  I miss that. 

• 2 weeks later...

Reservations.  The album version is a lot more beautiful.  The sparseness of it, the deliberateness of the piano, and the outro all "fit" the song much better than the acoustic guitar based version they do live these days.  It loses its uniqueness (versus all the other acoustic guitar slow songs in the catalog) live for me.  I think it's time to rework that one for playing live.

After the SB gig, I am reminded at out much more I love the solo/acoustic Sunken Treasure over the album version.

I actually much prefer the album version. Acoustic just sounds like a generic folk song to me.