Live versions differing from album versions

Likes?

Dislikes?

Most-changed?

I was listening through YHF yesterday and noticing that my ear was expecting parts that weren't there, due to all the live versions I've listened to in recent years.  some seem better live, some I wish weren't as changed.

I've always wished that Glenn would hammer the drums on Hesitating Beauty, instead of the soft-country feel it has turned into.  

I wish Nels would not play the melody line along with Jeff on One Sunday Morning (it drowns out the amazing sound of Jeff's acoustic riff).

I really like what Misunderstood and IATTBYH have turned into live.  Much more expansive than the album versions.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Favorite is the live version of Poor Places..

Like the acoustic version of Spiders live

Dislike the full band version

Spiders solo acoustic is terrific. I prefer the band's performance on AGIB over live versions. That guitar work from Tweedy on record is just...can't even describe it. He may have felt crappy during those sessions, but the way he expressed it through his playing is terrifying and beautiful at the same time.

I'm The Man Who Loves You - I don't like the sped-up live version. The album version almost swings.

I'm with you on this one. I also prefer Mermaid Avenue tunes like "Hesitating Beauty" and "California Stars" as they appeared on record. They just have a little more "thump" to 'em.

I've always wished that Glenn would hammer the drums on Hesitating Beauty, instead of the soft-country feel it has turned into.  

I'm with you on this one. I also prefer Mermaid Avenue tunes like "Hesitating Beauty" and "California Stars" as they appeared on record. They just have a little more "thump" to 'em.

thump is a good word.  Glenn is the greatest, I just wish he'd give those tunes a bit more of a ballsy, sloppy Stones riff instead of the light touch.

I prefer the album version of "I'm Always in Love" to the current arrangement with the noisy guitar replacing the synth part.

yes.  Nels has got to stop doing that droning thing.  Glenn has changed it up as well.  The best version that song ever had was in the IATTBYH movie.  

http://youtu.be/lhMqo-f6BO8

That is a kickass version of I'm Always in Love.

Much prefer the live Magazine to the original studio. It actually rocks live.

Is there a specific version you are referring to?

I really like both studio and live versions of "I'm Always in Love," but the best version, imo, is the alternate Tweedy solo acoustic take. Love that version....

Which version is this?

yes.  Nels has got to stop doing that droning thing.  Glenn has changed it up as well.  The best version that song ever had was in the IATTBYH movie.  

http://youtu.be/lhMqo-f6BO8

Agreed! Also, my favorite version of ITMWLY is the solo acoustic (think Farm Aid) version. Spiders, I'm torn. Enjoy both kraut and solo (for difference reasons). 

Via Chicago.  The noise is so damn good live.

This. 

VC live is my favorite musical experience of all time.  Not just the noise, but the way that Jeff and John take the vocals in and out of the noise together just hits me right in the chest every time.  The soft start and soft landing, with all the musical wanderings in between, is amazing.  The album version just doesn't capture that the same way.

This. 

VC live is my favorite musical experience of all time.  Not just the noise, but the way that Jeff and John take the vocals in and out of the noise together just hits me right in the chest every time.  The soft start and soft landing, with all the musical wanderings in between, is amazing.  The album version just doesn't capture that the same way.

This. 

Absolutely no doubt in my mind that this is the best live translation of any Wilco song. Those harmonies. I remember the 1st time I saw them it made me cry, and not just a couple tiny tears, but big ol' sobs of joy. I think it was the 1st time that ever happened to me at a concert. Something I will probably remember forever. My dad thought it was ridiculous... he doesn't "get" wilco though... 

Love- Hell Is Chrome, Standing O (because it was loud as hell the last time I saw them play it), Company In My Back, Ashes (just because of Nels)

Like- everything else they play at that particular show, because no live Wilco is bad to my ears 

EXCEPT

I pretty much at this point I hate "California Stars" (and maaaaaybe "Jesus Etc") live. I'm just of hearing it.

I like the solo/YHF era arrangement of Sunken Treasure a little more than the Being There one. 

I like the earlier live versions of Handshake Drugs, before AGIB came out.

A lot of the AM songs sound better live to me particularly since Glenn has joined. 

I really love the YHF era version of Kamera as well. 

I prefer the album version of "I'm Always in Love" to the current arrangement with the noisy guitar replacing the synth part.

Me too. It's one of my very favorite songs, but the live version doesn't do it for me. Even when they played it live with the synth, the studio version was better. It's like those notes never hit exactly the right place, except for on ST.

Also prefer the live version of Laminated Cat. It's kind of subdued on the record, but when played live the drums sound really tribal, and I love those trippy sounds that Mikael plays.