Do you care that Beck has a new album coming out

KevinG, I am sorry to pile on here, but like many others who have replied, I too find myself caring about the new Beck album. Vibes.

No thought anyone was piling on, I just found it interesting, I hadn't heard anything or actually thought about Beck in a half of decade and then all of sudden everyone is like here is the new Beck album, or can't wait for the new Beck album, or whatnot.  Caught me by surprise.  

I doubt I will actually go out and buy the album, but I would consider seeing him if he came to my town.   

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No thought anyone was piling on, I just found it interesting, I hadn't heard anything or actually thought about Beck in a half of decade and then all of sudden everyone is like here is the new Beck album, or can't wait for the new Beck album, or whatnot.  Caught me by surprise.  

I doubt I will actually go out and buy the album, but I would consider seeing him if he came to my town.   

its almost as if thats exactly how long its been since hes put out an album

its almost as if thats exactly how long its been since hes put out an album

True, but he's been very active and highly visible (at least the types to people of us who pay attention to websites like this one) for several years.   Tons of production work, lots of collaborations, the sheet music release, etc.

True, but he's been very active and highly visible (at least the types to people of us who pay attention to websites like this one) for several years.   Tons of production work, lots of collaborations, the sheet music release, etc.

Really?  At least on VC, I couldn't find anything about him (I always do a search before posting a new topic).  

I guess if I was more of a fan, this media love for Beck wouldn't seem so out of left field, but to me it is.  

Whenever I discuss about Beck, I always think about Wayne Coyne and him saying that "Beck is a dick" or something.  Or at least that is what my college roommate says about him anyway.  It is kinda fun to say, syllabically anyways.  

Really?  At least on VC, I couldn't find anything about him (I always do a search before posting a new topic).  

I guess if I was more of a fan, this media love for Beck wouldn't seem so out of left field, but to me it is.  

I thought there was a bunch of talk on here about his collaboration with some of the Wilco guys, and Jeff Tweedy's son.  Maybe that was a different forum.  I don't know.  I'm not a fan or a non-fan, but I kind of feel like I haven't been able to get away from the guy over the last few years.  

• 2 weeks later...

He's actually done quite a bit of music - it just shows how valuable the LP is opposed to one off singles, soundtracks, etc.

Like with the Lips - they put out a ton after Embryonic, but I have only gotten The Terror. If it's not easy to get, I usually don't.

Beck put out 3 12" last year. I actually think the tracks sounded pretty good, I just don't want to buy all the songs separate.

He also had some released with a video game, too, pretty recently.

He contributed tracks to the Scott Pilgrim soundtrack.

He did some orchestral stuff, remixes, and more.

If they made a compilation and put it all together I would probably get it, but it's just too all over the place.

When they announced this new album, they said there could be another out before the year is over.

I'm not too crazy about the album cover though.

My care factor, on a scale of 1 to 274, is about a 59 right now, down from about 125 this morning when I had a bowel movement.

I don't want people here to think I'm just following Sir Stewart's lead (although I would follow that man into the gates of hell, just for the record), but I realized this morning that I really don't seem to care that Beck has a new album out or coming out or whatever it's doing.  I just have a lot on my plate right now.  I just bought Logic Pro X and I think I could spend the next 7 years in a room playing with it.  

"Morning Phase" is streaming now on NPR's First Listen:

http://www.npr.org/2014/02/16/274773496/first-listen-beck-morning-phase

If you enjoy his more subdued, contemplative work a la "Sea Change", this album is really a can't miss. Beck sure knows how to record acoustic guitars perfectly, and here he surrounds them with beautiful ethereal and echo-y soundscapes. Certainly a mellow, mid-tempo listen, but undoubtedly very pretty music.

• 2 weeks later...