Do you care that Beck has a new album coming out

Apparently Beck has a new album coming out shortly.  And for some reason on most of the blogs etc. that I read this is the greatest thing to happen to music.  Well I might be exaggerating, but people seem to be pretty pumped.  While I like Beck, I was not anticipating this album, nor actually cared if he produced any music ever again.  

So does anyone really care about the new Beck album?

Here is some information on it, as well as the new single.

http://www.stereogum.com/1634441/beck-blue-moon/mp3s/ 

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes.  Thanks for the info.

ed: I like the single.  Definitely a Sea Change vibe, which I also liked, but I do prefer some of the more creative / unique uptempo stuff.  Sea Change is gorgeous if you're in the right mood, but I'd rather spin Modern Guilt or The Information if I'm just in the mood to listen to music.

Beck- I know this is weird to say for someone so famous- is underrated.  Seriously, all of his albums are great.  Modern Guilt, the Information, Sea Changes, Mutations.  Really cool stuff.  I think my underrated angle is that he sells albums OK, but he never really gets hyped by music nerds.  Or, at least I never hear about it.  I'm pumped for another Beck album.

Heard the single the other day. It didn't exactly blow me away but I felt the same way about sea change and it grew on me. Beck is so f'ing talented and always seems to bring a different vibe with each new album. Looking forward to it

From beck.com:

ALL MORNING PHASE PRE-ORDERS INCLUDE EARLY ACCESS TO TICKET SALES FOR THE FORTHCOMING WORLD TOUR. MORE INFO TO COME.

Oh fantastic! Never seen Beck live and always wanted to. This'll be one worth traveling for if necessary. 

Beck- I know this is weird to say for someone so famous- is underrated.  Seriously, all of his albums are great.  Modern Guilt, the Information, Sea Changes, Mutations.  Really cool stuff.  I think my underrated angle is that he sells albums OK, but he never really gets hyped by music nerds.  Or, at least I never hear about it.  I'm pumped for another Beck album.

I couldn't agree more. I wish I could put my finger on why that is.

I haven't cared about this guy since Mutations.  When I heard Midnight Vultures I thought it was mixed so loudly and so compressed it made me almost throw up.  However, I've been thinking of checking out his post Mutations records again to see what I think.

Listening to Sea Change now (for the first time) and enjoying the hell out of it.

I might start to care.

I care. I enjoy most of Beck's records. Guero probably was the last one that I really listened to a lot; never spent much time with The Information or Modern Guilt. The new track, as much as Sea Change, also reminds me a bit of Mutations, which actually is my favorite Beck album. I've always liked the songs, the production and the overall vibe of the record. He cut that one [mostly] live in the studio with his touring band. Kind of a breath of fresh air to hear some great musicianship backing great songs after two [also awesome] sample-heavy records.

I'd take a Midnight Vultures over a Sea Change any day of the week so unless the new album is Midnight Vulturey, I dont care.

I've tried but have little desire to listen to beck other than an occasional song now and then. I own Mellow Gold, Odelay, Sea Change, midnight Vultures and Mutations all purchased because of very enthusiastic recommendations yet none have done much for me. Probably like Mitations more than the others and only listen to that one maybe once a year. Am I missing something here.

I've tried but have little desire to listen to beck other than an occasional song now and then. I own Mellow Gold, Odelay, Sea Change, midnight Vultures and Mutations all purchased because of very enthusiastic recommendations yet none have done much for me. Probably like Mitations more than the others and only listen to that one maybe once a year. Am I missing something here.

Yes.

I think my underrated angle is that he sells albums OK, but he never really gets hyped by music nerds.  Or, at least I never hear about it.  I'm pumped for another Beck album.

Really?  I have the opposite reaction to Beck.  Everyone I hear talk about him seems to praise him for being such a genius and then I listen to a few songs and think, "Well, this is nice but what's so special about it?"  Which is exactly what was going through my head listening to "Blue Moon" -- it's a nice song, one that I'll probably appreciate more after a few listens, but it certainly doesn't grab me on an emotional or musical level.

so no, I don't really care all that much... at least not more than any other "highly respected" artist.