Extended break...or permanent

With no Band shows on the horizon and, if you believe a random Redditor, the band having no plans to record until 2015 combined with Sue's health issues...is this the end of the band?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would they walk away from the best gig any of these dudes have ever had? Unless Jeff's TV career takes off ...

Wilco over? No. They just formed dBpm and they have cycles of production and touring. All the band members have myriad other gigs. The only people looking for temporary gigs in this tour lull might be the sound and road crew.

Wilco over? No. They just formed dBpm and they have cycles of production and touring. All the band members have myriad other gigs. The only people looking for temporary gigs in this tour lull might be the sound and road crew.

Thank you for using "myriad" properly. My head nearly explodes every time I see someone write or say, "a myriad of..."

On topic - I don't think this is the end. I really enjoyed TWL, but I don't think they'd end on that.

Thank you for using "myriad" properly. My head nearly explodes every time I see someone write or say, "a myriad of..."

On topic - I don't think this is the end. I really enjoyed TWL, but I don't think they'd end on that.

1myr·i·ad

noun \ˈmir-ē-əd\

: a very large number of things

:  ten thousand
:  a great number myriad of ideas>

Usage Discussion of MYRIAD
Recent criticism of the use of myriad as a noun, both in the plural form myriads and in the phrase a myriad of, seems to reflect a mistaken belief that the word was originally and is still properly only an adjective. As the entries here show, however, the noun is in fact the older form, dating to the 16th century. The noun myriad has appeared in the works of such writers as Milton (plural myriads) and Thoreau (a myriad of), and it continues to occur frequently in reputable English. There is no reason to avoid it.

Examples of MYRIAD

1. There are a myriad of possibilities.
  2. myriad of options>
  3. Mr. McCullough hails Adams for being uncannily prescient … foreseeing a myriad of developments, from the difficulty of defeating the British … to the divisive consequences of slavery. —Michiko Kakutani, New York Times, 22 May 2001

My 2007 stylebook has no entry for "myriad" - did they add that in later?

Among the new entries in the Associated Press Stylebook for 2008 is one on "myriad." The AP says that "myriad" is an adjective and is not followed by "of." The dictionary that AP uses, though, gives the noun use of "myriad" first.

"Myriad" means an indefinitely large number; it is a synonym of "innumerable." Bryan A. Garner writes in A Dictionary of Modern American Usage that "myriad is more concise as an adjective than as a noun." Fowler’s Modern English Usage points out that the word comes from Greek for "ten thousand." Almost no one adheres to that old meaning for "myriad."

Here is a post on The Mavens’ Word of the Day about myriad as a noun. The American Book of English Usage also points out the long history of myriad as a noun. Merriam-Webster online also recognizes myriad as a noun.

LINK

That's very interesting. I need a new stylebook - I suppose I'll wait for the 2014 to come out.

The last hard copy version I had was 2009. The entry reads the same way as the online entry (I subscribe to the online version) as follows: 

Home > AP Stylebook > Chapter M > Myriad

favorite_not.png
myriad (adj.) Note word is not followed by ofThe myriad books in the library.

Sorry everyone, it was not our intention to derail this thread.

That's correct for the adjectival form, yes. I suppose it never occurred to the AP that one of its reporters would try to use it as a noun.

Maybe I misunderstood the meaning, but I thought there were some band member posts over the last few months of tracks being put down in the Loft. I assumed that was for a Wilco album. Could have been, and on hold now.

I find the silence after Sue's initial post, in which she writes of waiting for test results, to be chilling.

It's possible that Jeff and one or more members of this message board are going to be working on an album of songs about how Jeff Tweedy is not going to do an Uncle Tupelo reunion unless people on message boards talk about it more.

Well, hey, the man loves Wilco and he's obviously worried and where the hell else is he going to be able to talk about this? The Son Volt board?

Maybe I misunderstood the meaning, but I thought there were some band member posts over the last few months of tracks being put down in the Loft. I assumed that was for a Wilco album. Could have been, and on hold now.

I find the silence after Sue's initial post, in which she writes of waiting for test results, to be chilling.

No need to be chilled; it's simply a privacy issue. She is having ongoing tests, biopsies and such, as her doctors determine exactly what is going on. Not knowing anything definitive yet means nothing to report. 

I feel validated that my hindsight was 20/20. I loaded up on so many trips and so many shows over the past few years that my pocketbook--if not my spirit--is ready for a little hiatus. But not too long, Wilco, please. Not too long.

I don't see why this is the end of Wilco. We are so used to them relentlessly touring that we have forgotten most bands that have been around for 20 years take extended breaks from touring. No one seems to complain when Radiohead doesn't tour year and year out. Or U2 or any other long term band.

If it the end, then they had a great run. Everyone made some money, made some great records, and launched (or enhanced as in Nels case) their careers. what's not to like in that scenario.

LouieB