Favorite Albums You Can't Listen To Anymore

Either because you're sick of em or just don't like them anymore.

For me:

Led Zep IV

Sgt. Pepper

CSN first album

Working Man's Dead

American Beauty

Siamese Dream

Eat A Peach

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I take careful measures not to listen to my favorite albums too often, to avoid things like burnout from happening.

I want to be able to enjoy my favorite albums forever.

Of course, there is the odd album that I will just, plain fall out of love with -- Ozzy Osbourne - Bark At the Moon being a perfect example.

But that was 30 years ago. Big difference between tastes at age 13 and 43.

(I do still love listening to the occasional tune from that record, though.)

Either because you're sick of em or just don't like them anymore.

For me:

Sgt. Pepper

Working Man's Dead

American Beauty

This makes me sad.

For myself, I burned out on The Doors big time in high school, and rarely listen to them now. Just an occasional track, and a lot of those are from live shows that remain unreleased (to the best of my admittedly limited knowledge).

I also have been a huge Floyd fanatic since about age 15, and have most everything they ever recorded, including a goodly dosage of live shows. I rarely listen to an entire Floyd album in one sitting anymore but I enjoy the occasional track or the occasional (newly downloaded) live show.

There are not many I can't listen to, but a whole bunch I don't choose to listen to. Led Zeppelin II and IV, all of The Doors catalog (from the tiny sample on this board, it looks like that is a band that people burn out on), most of Dire Straits' Brothers in Arms (except the title track), and a few Eric Clapton records - those probably fall under the can't listen to.

Seconded. I loved that one in high school. Now it mostly sounds ridiculous.

I have some friends in this cult I belong to who get together and play guitars and sing at some of our functions.  They have entirely ruined The Wall for me.

Zep II and IV are tough to make it through, though on occasion I still love hearing "The Battle of Evermore" or "Four Sticks." Conversely, I can still listen to I and III.

Yup.

These, too.

And I listened to "The Boys Are Back In Town" so often that I ruined that one for myself, too. But I never really heard the entire Jailbreak album back then.

Thankfully, becoming familiar with the entire record as an adult and hearing it in context has let me enjoy it all over again. So glad, because I fucking LOVE Thin Lizzy.

Same thing with "Bohemian Rhapsody" and A Night At the Opera.

Seconded. I loved that one in high school. Now it mostly sounds ridiculous.

dont let roger hear you say that, but i agree with you!

with zep, i cant go through III (the acoustic side is great apart from hats off to roy harper) the whole way through. also houses of the holy. both filled with excellent tracks and some throwaways

And I listened to "The Boys Are Back In Town" so often that I ruined that one for myself, too. But I never really heard the entire Jailbreak album back then.

Thankfully, becoming familiar with the entire record as an adult and hearing it in context has let me enjoy it all over again. So glad, because I fucking LOVE Thin Lizzy.

Same thing with "Bohemian Rhapsody" and A Night At the Opera.

I'm sure you heard Wilco's rendition of "The Boys are Back in Town" from last year's Solid Sound, right? I think they did a great version of that, and it was the perfect opener to that show.

OK, back to your regularly scheduled topic. . . . I actually can't think of anything I would hate listening to, although I sort of hate myself for NOT hating A1A by Jimmy Buffet and American Idiot and the soundtrack from Priscilla, Queen of the Desert. I don't consciously choose to listen to these albums much, but when a song pops up on shuffle I like it and might listen to a few from those albums.