Favorite rock n roll autobiography

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another vote for The Real Frank Zappa book, although it kind of peters out at the end when he decides to stop talking about himself and start talking about politics and whatnot.

I started both Ace Frehley's and Steven Tyler's books at a bookstore, but haven't finished them. That would require actually paying for them, as my local library doesn't have them in their system.

I started both Ace Frehley's and Steven Tyler's books at a bookstore, but haven't finished them. That would require actually paying for them, as my local library doesn't have them in their system.

I thought the Steven Tyler book was highly annoying.  It's the type of book I can imaging Guy Fieri doing the audio book reading.   I love the Aerosmith Walk This Way oral history, though.

Lammy, you saw them a few months ago? Please tell me they didn't play Sloop John B  and Wasted Days N Wasted Nights.

Ha, both! Encore was Sloop John B and Lake of Fire. Moistboyz played after MPs. Catch the double encore video (and a killer Up on the Sun video) from the show here, if you care to (lots of weed smoking going on the stage that night. CO and all...):

http://concertconfessions.com/2014/04/moistboyz-and-the-meat-puppets-the-gothic-theater-denver-co-04114/

Lammy, that's not the best news......last few times I've seen them (1-2 years apart), it was pretty much the same setlist. Oh well, I'll probably go anyways....I loves me some Pups.

Waging Heavy Peace is a good read.

I really found that book to be like Neil's last few albums…half-baked.  I guess he's got a new one come out about cars.

My favorites are Shakey and Chronicles I.  I'm not a huge dylan fan, but that book is a masterpiece.  It's like one long Dylan song.  And so pulpy.  I refer to Shakey quite often and re-read it once a year just to revisit the unreleased stuff.  

Rock books are the only books I can knock out in a sitting.  I just suck all rock info in like a sponge.  I wish I could've majored in it in college and gotten a PhD, because I know it all!  I've found that most biographies have their faults, but it's always interesting to get the general history of a band/artist.  I love that stuff.  Especially band family trees etc.  I know most of the folks on this board are walking encyclopedias of rock too :-)

Not strictly an autobiography, but a guy named James Young spent a few years in Nico's touring band and wrote a book on his experiences called 'Nico, Songs they Never Play on the Radio'.

It's the funniest, saddest, and most brilliantly written music bio I've ever read.

41NqgNlCG9L.jpg

Timely topic. Just today I finished Perfect Circle-The Story of R.E.M. Updated in 2013. A great read and a fun summer project for me as I listened along to each album as I read about it them. A band my wife and I were into from Murmur on, my favorite band for many years, so I really enjoyed this one.

Others, the Keith Richards book, and Gregg Allman one as well. I've been meaning to read the recent Duane Allman bio authored by his daughter, but haven't gotten to that yet.

Timely topic. Just today I finished Perfect Circle-The Story of R.E.M. Updated in 2013. A great read and a fun summer project for me as I listened along to each album as I read about it them. A band my wife and I were into from Murmur on, my favorite band for many years, so I really enjoyed this one.

Others, the Keith Richards book, and Gregg Allman one as well. I've been meaning to read the recent Duane Allman bio authored by his daughter, but haven't gotten to that yet.

I've had Perfect Circle on my Amazon wishlist forever and now it looks like they've pulled the Kindle version (?), so I guess I'll have to spring for the paperback one day.

Also, I'm sure this is not cool to mention around these parts, but "The Dirt" by Motley Crue is insane and a great read.

I though Phil's book wasn't all that great. Blair Jackson's Garcia was pretty good -Dennis McNally's was just okay, too.

My favorite Dead related books is the Gear Book and the three Deadhead's Taping Compendiums.

Miles' autobiography was very entertaining and I do find myself going back to Dylan autobiography quite often - I think the part when he writes about the making of Oh Mercy is my favorite part. 

I though Phil's book wasn't all that great. Blair Jackson's Garcia was pretty good -Dennis McNally's was just okay, too.

My favorite Dead related books is the Gear Book and the three Deadhead's Taping Compendiums.

Miles' autobiography was very entertaining and I do find myself going back to Dylan autobiography quite often - I think the part when he writes about the making of Oh Mercy is my favorite part.

I agree, the GD Gear Book is my favorite of all the GD related books.

Yeah, fun read. A bunch of the stories in it he tells (abbreviated, mostly) between tunes at shows. I think you'd really like his music, too. 

Regarding Snider --- he first record is still my favorite of his. Listened to a Chicago, Park West Hard Working American show, (off the archive https://archive.org/details/hwa2014-02-22.mtx.teamdrink.flac16) - it is a fun listen  --- it is nice to hear them sing a Bottle Rocket song and the way he sings Gillian Welch's Wrecking Ball is great.

Regarding his story telling - noticed that the below is up on Dime - it is a five disc set. (That Moondawg story is a good one)

Todd Snider

"Tales From Moondawg's Tavern"

A compilation of Todd's stories thru the years

The Zevon book was great.  You wonder how anybody could still have the slightest ounce of friendship, respect or affection for him but they all still do.  The stories of him hoarding grey Calvin Klein T-shirts explains him pretty well.

Zoot Horn Rollo's book was great too.

Zoot Horn Rollo's book was great too.

Have you read Drumbo's book, Beefheart Throught the Eyes of Magic?  It's much longer than Zoot's. Pretty much the same story, but much greater detail.  Unfortunately, it's very poorly edited and repetitive at times, and drumbo is nto a good writer.  Could have easily been 500 pages instead of 800.  Nevertheless, if you can get past the flaws there's some fascninating and frightening stuff in it.