ALS Ice Bucket Challenge

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this guy is not very clever:  :headbonk

Google translation

The aircraft flew seven meters away from the runway. The victim, 51 year-old resident of Empuriabrava, has been admitted to the Hospital Josep Trueta of Girona, with multiple injuries and severe prognosis. The victim fell off 1,500 liters of water over his head. 

A man who participated in an 'Ice Bucket Challenge' grave by falling water from a seaplane 

The case of the Belgian national who was seriously injured in Girona to download on your body discharges per 1500 liters a seaplane fire could have originated from the popular campaign 'ice cube'. The main hypothesis with which researchers work is that this is a download agreed between the victim and the driver of his friends, to be recorded in the 'Ice Bucket Challenge "campaign, a campaign to help sufferers of ALS (ALS). This is apparently a discharge agreed between the victim and the pilot, his friend The victim, 51 year-old resident of Empuriabrava, has been entered in the Josep Trueta Hospital in Girona in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) with multiple injuries and with poor prognosis, according to hospital sources have indicated. The incident occurred about 11:30 am in the Aero Club aerodrome sector in the skydiving center, in a pedestrian area, according Mossos when this seaplane downloaded your deposit before landing and touched, a photographer, was in the area and received the shock. At that time, the aircraft flew seven meters away from the runway, according to the Mossos d'Esquadra. The seaplane-a cargo plane on earth, belonging to a private company, had been hired by the Ministry of Agriculture to participate in the campaign firefighting and is currently involved in the campaign in Catalonia, based in Empuriabrava, have ministerial sources explained. 

My manager at work mentioned to me that the CEO of the ALS organization made over $100,000 last year. 

That's an average salary for many Americans and $300,000 is small beans for someone who is in charge of an organization that raises and distributes tens of millions of dollars per year. I'm sure the CEO of my former company makes at least $300k and our revenue was a lot less that the ALS Association. 

It would be great if an already wealthy person with the skills to run such an organization would take the job for peanuts, but you can't expect an "ordinary" person to take on that kind of position for less than they could earn at a "real" company.

what

Just what I said: it's not that much money in 2014. I made that much until my recent unemployment. My 28-year-old son-in-law makes that much. All of my neighbors make more than that. Many military officers make $100k. They are paying truck drivers $100k in the oil fields south of here and they can't find enough drivers. Engineers, lawyers and salesmen top 6 figures. It's really not that much money for someone who has been working in their field for 20 or 30 years, especially in places like southern California, the Bay Area, NYC, etc.

Hell, Jeff Tweedy makes $100k per gig ...

$300,000 a year is a lot of money. Check the median income figues for Americans. It is a lot of money. Find me a nurse, teacher, or someone in the trades making $300,000. To say that isn't much money per year may be an indicator of your world. But not the world that many Americans live in.

But $100,000 is still a lot of money to many, many Americans. 

Sure it is, but it's not exactly "knock yer socks off" wealthy. In my school district, a married couple with no prior experience could pull in $100k/year. That's not even enough to buy a house in many parts of the country.

I will agree that I enjoy watching videos of hot men dumping ice cold water on themselves whether they donate money or not.

However, I do find this whole thing sort of annoying and reminiscent of some large scale sort of pubescent "all the cool kids are doing it" peer pressure. Clever they have tapped into that insecurity, both with this campaign and that no make-up breast cancer meme.

Why not give to charity without calling so much attention to ourselves?

And anyway, I have other pressing concerns for my charity budget right now, like the UNRWA fund. Who wants to do some cutesy water dumping meme for some refugee kids dying in war zones? FUN! I wonder if the ALS charity it is going to will just use the money to pay themselves first, like most other charities. I'd like to see some transparency.

I'll have you know I disliked this campaign from day one, and have not "grown tired" of it, but rather annoyed from the very start. Bah humbug.

Sounds like you could use a cold shower at the very least.

Sounds like you could use a cold shower at the very least.

Let's not resort to ad hominem attacks. But while we are at it...

Good for you if the opportunity to post video of yourself naming the hippest friends you have and pouring water on yourself encourages you to donate money to a cause that you didn't care about yesterday and won't think about tomorrow. Knock yourself out!

If a tree falls in the forest and no one was there to put it on Facebook, Instagram and tweet it, does it make a sound? Similarly, what is the point of donating to charity if I can't post cute photo- and video-selfies while doing it?

My husband (and sons) have jumped in like lemmings, too. And we live in Ireland where nature dumps buckets of ice cold water on us daily. I'll stay married for now, but I judge him. I married a conformist. But he's cute. 

Planning to launch my own fundraising meme called "I'll strip for Gaza" on Instagram. Hope I'll get Miley and the Kardashians on board -- I have a feeling they'll strip for anything if there is a selfie involved. Will keep you posted. (Or maybe combining two great things that go well together: Selfies with cute kittens, for Ferguson.)

Let's not resort to ad hominem attacks. But while we are at it...

Good for you if the opportunity to post video of yourself naming the hippest friends you have and pouring water on yourself encourages you to donate money to a cause that you didn't care about yesterday and won't think about tomorrow. Knock yourself out!

If a tree falls in the forest and no one was there to put it on Facebook, Instagram and tweet it, does it make a sound? Similarly, what is the point of donating to charity if I can't post cute photo- and video-selfies while doing it?

My husband (and sons) have jumped in like lemmings, too. And we live in Ireland where nature dumps buckets of ice cold water on us daily. I'll stay married for now, but I judge him. I married a conformist. But he's cute. 

Planning to launch my own fundraising meme called "I'll strip for Gaza" on Instagram. Hope I'll get Miley and the Kardashians on board -- I have a feeling they'll strip for anything if there is a selfie involved. Will keep you posted. (Or maybe combining two great things that go well together: Selfies with cute kittens, for Ferguson.)

Give me a break.  Those who call out conformists, are usually conformists themselves.  If you strive to be a nonconformist, you are conforming to non-conformity.

tumblr_ljyx5es5qT1qgi9do.jpg

It takes a special kind of arrogance to assume you know the motives of people you've never met.  Unfortunately I probably do it on a daily basis.

I too get annoyed by Facebook and Twitter and Instagram, but that only seems to happen when I'm not in a good place mentally or emotionally.  When I'm right with myself and the world around me the most ridiculous crap on those sites (Jebus, I'm still a Via Chicago member) doesn't bother me at all.

Judging and chastising people for enjoying a sense of community and posting some silly videos of themselves in furtherance (however insignificant or tangential to you) of a good cause seems like a really jaded, cynical stance to take in the world.  How do you know that there haven't been hundreds if not thousands of dinner table conversations about ALS between family members because of this ice bucket business?  That thousands haven't better educated themselves about the disease, decided to donate their time and/or money to it?  How many friendships and family relationships got a bit of a re-boot in the past few weeks as a result of people calling each other out in this little harmless bit of fun?

It's up to me whether I'm going to look for the best or the worst in a situation.  Seems to generally decide what kind of day I'm going to have.  

Well I'd love to hop on the "bandwagon" and participate but I've yet to be nominated to do the challenge. If I were to be nominated to do this, I'd probably challenge my two older brothers - and they're not exactly what I'd call "hip" people. We're all just a bunch of regular guys. What probably annoys me more are the people like this guy I saw in a video the other day -- a total "bro" type, who poured a tiny dixie cup of water down his shorts, pulled his shirt off and chugged a beer afterward. Turned something fun and charitable into something fratty and stupid. 

Regardless of how you feel about the ice bucket challenge, one thing is certain: it's a total game changer in the world of fundraising strategies, how non-profits generate awareness and connect with new donors and constituents, and the power of social media. In the non-profit world, this strategy will be talked about, analyzed, studied, critiqued, etc., for a long time. And I'm sure something else will come along that will break the mold just like this did.