Hot Stove Season---2014 Baseball Season Redux

Russell Martin signed by Toronto.

Jason Heyward to the Cards and Shelby Miller to the Braves.

VMart signing an extension in Detroit.

Giancarlo  Stanton becoming the highest paid athlete in North America.

Rangers entertaining offers for Andrus.

Most surprising story to date?

Joe Maddon managing the Cubs was a surprise to me.

I guess extremely high $$ contracts don't surprise me anymore ---- I thought owners would have learned their lessons over the past 10 years or so - since many of these large $$ contracts haven't quite panned out.

Probably the largest contract in North American sports history that is now in a locked thread?

If that suprised you...you have a low threshold.

Joe Maddon managing the Cubs was a surprise to me.

I guess extremely high $$ contracts don't surprise me anymore ---- I thought owners would have learned their lessons over the past 10 years or so - since many of these large $$ contracts haven't quite panned out.

Hard to believe that the Rays managed to totally disembowel their franchise with two front office moves.

If that suprised you...you have a low threshold.

I wasn't shocked, but yeah, it being the biggest contract ever surprised me. It was inevitable that A-rod's contract would be trumped at some point, but not sure a lot of folks saw the Marlins being the ones to trump it....

Trying to buy a championship hasn't worked.

Maybe the Sox will be able to trade Sandoval and Ramirez to LA in a couple of years when things go south.

Maybe the Sox will be able to trade Sandoval and Ramirez to LA in a couple of years when things go south.

Yeah that seems like an odd couple of signings to me.  Especially when their pitching staff is so far from being set.  I guess this kinda paves the way for Lester to be a Cub now.   

Hmm I agree money does not buy a Championship our Sox made some terrible off season high priced acquisitions between 2011/12 and that was followed by Chicken & Beer in the clubhouse during the game .. then next year World Series Champs

Now if we can get a reunion of Lester And the Sox it will be the Best Thanksgiving for the Sox since Theo had Thanksgiving with Schilling in '03

Way different scenarios than the AGon/Crawford signings.  Shorter years & less $$$.  I'm not sure your characterization of Boston trying to "buy a championship" fits here. 

I'd still do the AGone deal today.  Crawford was a terrible mistake that L.A. gladly took off Boston's books.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

spring is hopefully upon us...

may be the red sox comment above should be revised???

i'm a philly phan, so hope springs less eternal this year.

I hope ryan howard wins Comeback POTY.

And i pray Josh Hamilton gets some help.

I'm excited by what the White Sox have done this off-season (perhaps irrationally so).  I don't think it's unreasonable to be thinking playoffs this season.

Me too ---- I don't have cable, so I am thinking about subscribing to MLB.tv, so I can watch it through my Roku---but it looks like local teams are still blacked-out in their areas - which sucks.

Bucholz, Kelly, Porcello, Miley, and Masterson - not bad, but not going to bring a World Series title to Boston either.

spring is hopefully upon us...

may be the red sox comment above should be revised???

I suppose every fan has hopes in spring training, right? Do you think the "not bad" part should be revised to "pretty bad", or would you revise it to say that they will bring a WS title to Boston? I see it as a decent starting 5, one that should eat up some innings, but not a dominant staff.

• 1 month later...

Bummed that (Red Sox catcher) Christian Vasquez has to undergo Tommy John surgery.  He wasn't going to hit a ton but it was fun to watch him on the defensive side. 

Me too. Good defensive catching sometimes seems like a lost art. That is a blow to the Red Sox defense. On a positive note, Shane Victorino played three days in a row and woke up feeling ok after day three.