I've heard great things about The Brew Kettle. 

If y'all have suggestions for beers to be featured on the show, check out www.oneguyonebeer.wordpress.com and leave a comment. 

Or, hell, just leave 'em in this thread. 

Cheers!

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fresh Squeezed is one of my favorite beers. Easy to find and cheap for craft make it easily overlooked by much of the craft community, but it really is a great beer and in the summer I always have some in the fridge!

Exactly what you said -- it's cheap, tasty and easy to find. Along with Firestone Walker Union Jack, it's my go-to IPA. 

I'm in the Cleveland area, so of course Great Lakes Brewing is the biggest game in town (and state, really). 

I visited Cleveland for the first time last year for the Browns-Steelers game and was happy to discover that it coincided with Beer Week. We tried a lot of Great Lakes brews, but I was mostly underwhelmed. My buddy and I went to their brewpub on Saturday night and it was packed to the rafters. We spent at least 30 minutes trying to get served in the basement, but it was like we were invisible, so we left and ended up around the corner at Market Garden Brewing. We were the only people in the lower area for the first hour, so we had lots of time to talk to the pretty bartender about their brews and between us I think we had a pint of everything they had on the menu. It was a fun night.

Exactly what you said -- it's cheap, tasty and easy to find. Along with Firestone Walker Union Jack, it's my go-to IPA.

My go-to IPAs: Sculpin, Fresh Squeezed, Union Jack, Sucks...Great Divide's Rumble (so delicious) should be hitting stores soon.

Real Ale's Lost Gold and Full Moon are both good, and I try to pick up Hops and Grain's Greenhouse IPA and Austin Beerworks' Fire Eagle whenever I'm in Austin.

I visited Cleveland for the first time last year for the Browns-Steelers game and was happy to discover that it coincided with Beer Week. We tried a lot of Great Lakes brews, but I was mostly underwhelmed. My buddy and I went to their brewpub on Saturday night and it was packed to the rafters. We spent at least 30 minutes trying to get served in the basement, but it was like we were invisible, so we left and ended up around the corner at Market Garden Brewing. We were the only people in the lower area for the first hour, so we had lots of time to talk to the pretty bartender about their brews and between us I think we had a pint of everything they had on the menu. It was a fun night.

I was at that game! 

Market Garden is ok, I like that owner's other place down the block - Nano Brew.  Small batch beer, but a huge selection from everywhere else.  The best time to go to Great Lakes is a Saturday morning, we "pre-game" there before shopping at the West Side Market. 

The Market District is one of the greatest parts of Cleveland.  Come back, spend a weekend. There's a lot going on.

My go-to IPAs: Sculpin, Fresh Squeezed, Union Jack, Sucks...Great Divide's Rumble (so delicious) should be hitting stores soon.

Real Ale's Lost Gold and Full Moon are both good, and I try to pick up Hops and Grain's Greenhouse IPA and Austin Beerworks' Fire Eagle whenever I'm in Austin.

Sculpin is so expensive compared to other IPAs that I rarely splurge. Another one that's cheap and tasty is Nebraska IPA. I love the way the entire lid comes off the can.

I was at that game! 

Market Garden is ok, I like that owner's other place down the block - Nano Brew.  Small batch beer, but a huge selection from everywhere else.  The best time to go to Great Lakes is a Saturday morning, we "pre-game" there before shopping at the West Side Market. 

The Market District is one of the greatest parts of Cleveland.  Come back, spend a weekend. There's a lot going on.

It was a great game. GLBC sponsored some sort of tailgating session near the stadium, so we hung out there. I think we also visited Nano Brew Saturday night, but things were getting foggy by then.

For some reason my neighbor is a huge Browns fan, so we'll probably head there for a football weekend every couple of years. We had a great time.

My local place was out the Fresh Squeezed - he said his supplier is out of stock --- picked up the Union Jack - don't think I ever had it, before ----- the Union Jack was only about 2 bucks cheaper than the Sculpin -- I actually enjoy the Ballast's Big Eye more than the Scuplin and it's about $5 or so cheaper.

My go to IPA's are Bells Two Hearted and Stone IPA.

I belong to a 'mug club' at my local brew pub (Flossmoor Station) --- I never realized that there were 'trading circles' amongst drinkers, before I became a member a couple of years ago. Every couple of months the members get together at a tapping of a new brew that the pub produces - 1 hour of free beer - I just sit and listen to people talk about all the beer that have in their cellars -- a lot of home brewers in the group -- always an interesting conversation.

Not a huge hop head, cards on the table, but my IPAs of choice: Sculpin, Two-Hearted, and 3 Floyd's Dreadnaught, which is ironic given that it's an imperial IPA, although perhaps not given the level of malt and sweetness to help balance that bitterness. 

Seems fitting to ask about KBS given its release this week. I had a bottle of this year's version a few weeks ago and I managed to snag two more bottles today on my lunch hour. The question becomes: Do y'all think it's worth the hype? 

Bummer, dude. Bummer indeed. Even mellow chocolate beers?

i thought that Two Hearted was overrated. would like to try some Three Floyds stuff at some point.

3 Floyds makes some assertively hopped yet well-balanced beers. Plus, their hoppy wheat beer Gumballhead is one of my all time favs. Great summer beer. So easy drinking. 

Bummer, dude. Bummer indeed. Even mellow chocolate beers?

I cut out coffee and colas 25 years ago, but I still would have the occasional palpitation, so then I cut out the chocolate and now I don't really have them anymore. Waking up with your heart pounding is no fun, so I'd hate to try a chocolate beer and bring it on again. It must be genetic, because both of my kids are also sensitive to caffeine.

Seems fitting to ask about KBS given its release this week. I had a bottle of this year's version a few weeks ago and I managed to snag two more bottles today on my lunch hour. The question becomes: Do y'all think it's worth the hype? 

Just got an e-mail from the owner of the local Shell station that they have some KBS hidden away for customers like me. We've convinced the guy to carry lots of craft beer and now the selection is pretty darn good, especially for a gas station.

I don't think any beer is worth the hype.

My hatred for limited craft beer is rooted in this.

When I was first getting into craft beer I had heard a ton about zombie dust this, zombie dust that so naturally I wanted to try zombie dust. Three Floyds on their website shows which stores they distribute to, so I called one by me to ask and the conversation went like this.

Me: Hi, I was wondering if you have any zombie dust in?

Store: Who is this?

Me: I'm sorry, I think you misheard, I'm just wondering if you have any zombie dust in?

Store: Yes I know, but what is your name?

Me: Why does that matter?

Store: Because I don't recognize your voice and we only sell it to customers that we know.

So yeah, douche central. I've later found out that it is quite commonplace for bottle shops to hold stuff for regulars, and not even put out and that just screams into every negative stereotype about craft beer douchebags unfortunately, and I hate it. I really like good beer, but I just find that mentality absolutely appaling.  On the outset the craft beer community seems very cool, but when you look closer it's really full of some not to nice people that are super competitive and just looking to chase whales.

Not to mention, I saw recently where Three Floyds named one of their tanks after Jake "The Snake" Roberts. Whatever, not the best taste, but apparently they like wrestling. They then however made a facebook or twitter post with him tagged inviting him to the brewery or something, and I just thought that was in awful taste considering his life story is basically one dealing with awful addicitons and trying to somehow overcome them.

But hey, they make hardcore named beers and are totally metal, so rock on :yeaahh

I don't think any beer is worth the hype.

My hatred for limited craft beer is rooted in this.

When I was first getting into craft beer I had heard a ton about zombie dust this, zombie dust that so naturally I wanted to try zombie dust. Three Floyds on their website shows which stores they distribute to, so I called one by me to ask and the conversation went like this.

Me: Hi, I was wondering if you have any zombie dust in?

Store: Who is this?

Me: I'm sorry, I think you misheard, I'm just wondering if you have any zombie dust in?

Store: Yes I know, but what is your name?

Me: Why does that matter?

Store: Because I don't recognize your voice and we only sell it to customers that we know.

So yeah, douche central. I've later found out that it is quite commonplace for bottle shops to hold stuff for regulars, and not even put out and that just screams into every negative stereotype about craft beer douchebags unfortunately, and I hate it. I really like good beer, but I just find that mentality absolutely appaling.  On the outset the craft beer community seems very cool, but when you look closer it's really full of some not to nice people that are super competitive and just looking to chase whales.

Not to mention, I saw recently where Three Floyds named one of their tanks after Jake "The Snake" Roberts. Whatever, not the best taste, but apparently they like wrestling. They then however made a facebook or twitter post with him tagged inviting him to the brewery or something, and I just thought that was in awful taste considering his life story is basically one dealing with awful addicitons and trying to somehow overcome them.

But hey, they make hardcore named beers and are totally metal, so rock on :yeaahh

this beer came out after Pike got out of rehab. :lol

three-floyds-razor-hoof.png

Totally understand what you're saying, Hwllo. Limited beers that do see some local distribution often end up at bottle shops where they remain behind the counter for regulars, or off the shelf and available to  "those in the know" who care to ask for them. It stinks for both the customer and the shop, really. I was just in VT and went to a shop for a four pack of Heady Topper. Heady is the #1 rated beer on Beer Advocate. There is a website, Heady Spotter, dedicated to finding out when and where it's being delivered. I've waited an hour in line at a co op grocery store in Montpelier, VT on a random Thursday to buy it. The lady at this particular store was just getting through arguing with someone about a 1 4pack/per person limit, and she started telling me that it's basically a burden to carry the stuff. She said people show up 2 hrs early, and she gets constant phone calls.

While I see this sort of behavior as problematic, most of the "limited" stuff that I chase is brewery-only. Sure there's often some waiting in line, but I don't really mind. To say that "no beer is worth the hype" is simply your opinion. In my experience, the "hyped" limited beers that I've been fortunate enough to try have been the best I've ever had. I can't say that about any shelf beer available at the local packie.

So yeah, douche central. I've later found out that it is quite commonplace for bottle shops to hold stuff for regulars, and not even put out and that just screams into every negative stereotype about craft beer douchebags unfortunately, and I hate it. I really like good beer, but I just find that mentality absolutely appaling

this is hardly restricted to craft beer/liquor stores.... restaurants, record stores, wine shops...most retail shops will identify their best customers and figure out ways to keep them.

the good news is that there are a ton of great beers out there, so if you can't taste one particular beer, big deal.

i hope you're not a GBV fan; the recent Dogfish Head Beer Thousand with 10" record distribution debacle may have sent you over the edge.

Yeah, limited release beers drive me crazy. Somewhere down the line I usually end up getting to try them, but I'm not going to wait in line for hours to do so. Except for a few months ago when I queued for 2 hours at a Hill Farmstead - Cantillon tap takeover at a place in Long Beach. And then there's the 30 minutes I waited to buy a couple of cases of Heady Topper before the last Solid Sound, but that was back when they were still selling as much as you could carry out of the brewery.

I know that special releases and crazy hazelnut-applewood-smoked-imperial-raspberry-porters are the kinds of things that get the tongues of hardcore aficionados wagging, but if I were to open a brewery I'd just be happy if I had a nice brewpub to serve a small-but-reliable range of "normal" beers. It would be great to have 2 or 3 hand-pulled casks of classic British ales available at pubs and beer bars over a narrow region. I'm a big fan of British/Irish-style neighborhood pubs with no televisions, quiet background music and lots of good conversation amongst the locals and the occasional guest from out of town.

I think I've mentioned this in another thread, but the owners of Trillium are friends of friends and we spent a few hours over pints at a pub in Brookline years ago, discussing their plans to open a brewery. It's nice to hear that they've succeeded.