Now reading in 2015

I've read this book, along with Cannery Row, likely 20 times and will read it again....

Yeah, they're like that. Pure, beautiful writing.

Now reading:

northanger-abbey.jpg

The last time I read Jane Austen was 25 years ago in high school (Pride and Prejudice). I wanted to try another one. A few chapters in and I'm enjoying it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, they're like that. Pure, beautiful writing.

Now reading:

northanger-abbey.jpg

The last time I read Jane Austen was 25 years ago in high school (Pride and Prejudice). I wanted to try another one. A few chapters in and I'm enjoying it.

Austen always has a soothing effect on me...once you're well into a book, it's as if you've been transported back to her time, isn't it? The humor is quite witty but you are allowed to pick it up on your own...she, as an author, doesn't beat you over the head with a point she's trying to make. I love reading Austen.

9781586489878.jpg

Let us know how this is! Looks like good history.

24724592.jpg

I'm unfamiliar with this author. What's the book about? Good?

It's a collection of stories. Definitely good so far, I'm three stories in. But BJC is one of my favorite modern writers. She was nominated for a National Book Award for her last collection, and her novels are pretty badass, too. Kind of a modern Michigan equivalent of Flannery O'Connor.

9781586489878.jpg

I learned a ton from reading this. Not a "great" book from a writing standpoint (repetitive, style is just ok), but so much history that I did not know. I had not heard the name Monroe Trotter since an African-American History class I took back in 1987 at UConn. It was interesting to see some of the same protest strategies used in 1915 that were used in the 50s and 60s.

Read "American Pain" by J Temple over the weekend. An amazing look into the rise of the pill mills in Florida and use of oxycodone aka hillbilly heroin.

Just read the C.K. Williams died last month. Saw him do couple of readings, once in the early 90s while in school and more recently around 2008.

Both times I was able to speak with him - great man and poet.

Next up, M Train by Patti Smith.

I just got the audiobooks of M Train and also a couple others, coincidentally all female-centric:

Hunger Makes Me a Modern Girl by Carrie Brownstein, largely based on a recent Fresh Air interview

My Life on the Road by Gloria Steinem, also because my interest was piqed by a Fresh Air interview

I guess Terry Gross is doing her usual excellent job of bringing interesting people to our attention.

Just read the C.K. Williams died last month. Saw him do couple of readings, once in the early 90s while in school and more recently around 2008.

Both times I was able to speak with him - great man and poet.

I love CKW, I was so bummed when he passed. I need to get his new book that came out last month, too.

chinamirage-cover.png

History buffs take note of this brilliant new book from James Bradley. Bradley is the author of "Flags of our Fathers" and the son of John Bradley, one of the men who raised the American flag on Iwo Jima. 

"Mirage" is capably written and deeply researched, and details how the American view of China created the history of the past several decades, reaching back to Teddy Roosevelt's administration and beyond. It deftly shows how our misperceptions and yearning to believe in a China that aspired to be both Westernized and Christianized (an American mirage) created policies which led to repeated fumbles in China and Japan, and set up a historical path that culminated in wars in Korea and Vietnam that need never have occurred. Powerful as hell and engagingly written. It will change your worldview about many "facts" you thought you knew. I hope this will be widely read!

Fascinating.

Just started this. Intriguing beginning.

I love CKW, I was so bummed when he passed. I need to get his new book that came out last month, too.

I need to, as well.

Just started this. Intriguing beginning.

I hope you find it as fascinating and eye-opening as I did. I look at our current interactions with that part of the world in a very different way since reading "Mirage".

I just got the audiobooks of M Train and also a couple others, coincidentally all female-centric:

Hunger Makes Me a Modern Girl by Carrie Brownstein, largely based on a recent Fresh Air interview

My Life on the Road by Gloria Steinem, also because my interest was piqed by a Fresh Air interview

I guess Terry Gross is doing her usual excellent job of bringing interesting people to our attention.

Chrissie Hynde has a memoir just out, too! So many books, so little time...