Besides Wilco/Tweedy @ Solid Sound...

...since seeing Wilco and Tweedy are a given, who else are you determined not to miss at Solid Sound? Who do you consider a must-see, and why? Who do YOU think the rest of us would be crazy to miss?

An obvious choice for me is Richard Thompson...so many layers of brilliance there, and somehow I've never managed to see him before. I expect to be dazzled. :yes

I've been playing the Spotify Solid Sound 2015 playlist lately and I'm really beginning to GET, down deep, what a great, fun, passionate musical party this Solid Sound is going to be!

Getting truly excited. Like this: :bounce8

Hey, that gives me an idea, who else thinks a Conga Line should close out the festivities? :brow All of us...one line...we could set a new Guinness record! I can see us now....

article-0-096FF01D000005DC-473_634x380.j

Maybe I'd better calm down a little.

I recently started listening to Mac DeMarco (just missed seeing him in Tel Aviv, actually) - and he's a neat musician, I hope to see him. Aside from that, Richard Thompson of course and then Taj Mahal are high priority for me. From there I'll probably have to make choices based on scheduling.

Also, relevant question, are the Autumn Defense playing or just speaking about the Lomax films? If they are playing, they are top of my non-Wilco/Tweedy list. Saw them at SS '10 I think, but I wasn't really a listener of theirs at the time.

Richard Thompson, of course. Seen him many times before but he's always fantastic.

I bought Mac DeMarco's 2 most recent albums but they just arrived today so I have't listened much yet. I get the feeling he may be this year's Foxygen. :-)

Parquet Courts and Real Estate--I like both of them on records but haven't seen either live

Shabazz Palaces--no clue, but I've heard good things about them

and maybe first and foremost....TIG NOTARO. She can be brilliant!

All excellent choices! And you're all in for the festivities-ending Conga Line, right? I'll let Tony Margherita know so he can pencil that in for the festival's conclusion. I'm pretty sure he and the rest of TMM are going to want to be included!  :party

http://www.wikihow.com/Start-a-Conga-Line

There are a few possible methods to starting a conga line, and all of them require some degree of confidence. Realize that you are trying to get a room full of people to follow you in a line. You must be convincing.
  • The first method is to ask a small group of your good friends to start a conga line with you. This way, when you decide the moment is right, you will already have a small conga started. Use this method if you are more shy.
  • Some functions have a DJ. You can ask the DJ if he or she has any conga music, and if so, request that the music be played. When the music starts, with any luck a conga line will start, and if not, you can casually suggest that one be started.
  • This method is for the brave and the bold. You can approach this a few different ways, but it will end with you shouting something along the lines of "Let's start a conga line!". If you are outgoing enough, hopefully people will join in the fun.
    Remember that some people do not like to have fun, and so will not want to join in your conga line. Don't be discouraged, just relax and have fun. After all, isn't that the point?

Don't be bossy and try to make anyone start a conga line with you. That is the best way to ruin the fun.

Make sure you start your conga line to an appropriate style of music.Anything fast and lighthearted works well. Don't try to start a conga line to a slow song. It won't work out.

All excellent choices! And you're all in for the festivities-ending Conga Line, right? I'll let Tony Margherita know so he can pencil that in for the festival's conclusion. I'm pretty sure he and the rest of TMM are going to want to be included!  :party

Conga line? For Sunday?

Are you actually planning one or is this a reference that went over my head?

I'd like to hear your reasons for being determined to see particular acts, if you have a reason beyond, "I like them!" It might help me to decide for myself!

Honestly, my #1 priority at SS, other than seeing Wilco and Tweedy, is to meet up with some of you wonderful VCers! But okay, here is my reasoning for my choices:

Charles Lloyd - I am a big jazz fanatic, and Lloyd is a legend I have never seen. No further motivation needed.

King Sunny Ade - Sounds like a feel-good musical act; my wife might like him, too, which is a huge plus.

Taj Mahal - Another legend, and have never seen him before. Almost bought tickets to a show of his last year, but they were too pricey.

NRBQ - New England stalwarts with at least two "hits" that I heard on the radio when I lived up there (Me & The Boys and Ridin' In My Car). Should be fun.

I have never seen any of these acts, so I'm looking forward to them all. Any others we can squeeze in are icing on the cake.

someone posted that Taj canceled.

i like Real Estate's laconic, poppy style. i'll certainly see them.

totally psyched for both Ryley Walker and William Tyler's sets. really nice folk-style stuff.

any band w/ Frisell and Wolleson has to kick ass, so that's a given,

stained radiance should be awesome, letting Nels run freely. still pissed that i couldn't get into the show last year w/ Lage.

Richard Thompson is someone whom I've wanted to see for a while, but never got around to it. finally get the chance!

Conga line? For Sunday?

Are you actually planning one or is this a reference that went over my head?

Well I was basically joking but you've got to admit it would be fun. Maybe the Wilcos would lead it? Diane, excellent set of Conga Line rules! :lol

I'm not going :heartbroken , but if I was....these acts are the ones I'd consider "not to miss"

Mac Demarco - don't let his recordings fool you, his shows are typically high energy affairs. Mac is crazy and umpredictable

Parquet Courts - best post-punk band to come around in sometime. It's like all of the best late 70s early 80s punk wrapped into one package

Real Estate - lo-fi surf pop at it's finest. Should be a real chill set.

William Tyler - incredible insturmental guitar player

Ryley Walker - a up and comer from chicago that sounds a little like Nick Drake with an improv jazz arrangements.

Tig Notaro - she's funny.

I'm not going :heartbroken , but if I was....these acts are the ones I'd consider "not to miss"

Parquet Courts - best post-punk band to come around in sometime. It's like all of the best late 70s early 80s punk wrapped into one package

have you heard The Gotobeds?

Their record _Poor People Are Revolting_ is everything I wish the PQs were.

I won't be there but NRBQ is staffed by two Chicago music scene regulars (not original members however) Casey McDonough and Scott Ligon.  Charles Lloyd is amazing.  Have fun guys.

LouieB 

I'm not going to be there, but if I were I'd make a point to see the following:

NRBQ (even though it's just Terry Adams plus a few new guys.  It's worth it just to see Terry, and I'm sure the new guys are good.)

Richard Thompson (seen him twice, but never as a trio)

Anything Nels or Bill Frisell participate in. 

Speedy Ortiz

Charles Lloyd

King Sunny Ade

I'd like to see full sets from all of those (plus Wilco, natch), and I'd try to supplement that by stage-hopping to see as many of the newer acts as possible.

~Richard Thompson: First & foremost. I've seen him, in both electric & acoustic incarnations, loads of times over the last couple decades & he's on my highest top shelf of loved artists. I"m as excited about him as I was about Yo La Tengo at the 2013 SS. Especially hoping he does what YLT did in '13 & what he did with Wilco on the AmericanaramA tour...sit in with Wilco. Richard Thompson & Nels Cline were just amazing (got to catch that twice on that tour) & I'm hoping that Richard sits in on both Saturday & Sunday for the finale (which would seem certain).

~Nels Cline & Norton Wisdom's Stained Radiance: Anything involving Nels Cline!!!

~King Sunny Ade & His African Beats: Caught them once in NYC & was blown away. I'm a big fan & totally thrilled they are here.

~NRBQ: Well I really think of this more as The Terry Adams Band, but that's fine. Terry Adams is about as fave a keyboard player as I have in the world, & about as great a songwriter, so I'm just thrilled to get to catch him/them too. It's been way too long...

~Charles Lloyd Quartet: Like with King Sunny Ade & His African Beats, it's a thrill to get something more "left field" with Festivals & this one is really delivering with these two acts. I've never seen him/them before & I'm very excited.

~Bill Frisell: Love his playing, never seen him, hoping to catch at least one, if not both of his performances...

After those acts...
~Parquet Courts, Real Estate, Mac DeMarco, The Felice Brothers: Dug what I've heard for any of these acts, not a real fan of any of them in any major way, but excited to catch any of them live...
~Cibo Matto: Seen them before, always cool & unique- hope Nels and/or Jeff sit in maybe..
~Jessica Williams & John Hodgeman: Love The Daily Show & hope to catch the end of their set after NRBQ
~Shabazz Palaces: Like Cibo Matto, King Sunny Ade & Charles Lloyd, another exciting curve ball, but the one I'm least excited about...dig some of what I've heard & interested to catch them live...
~Glenn Kotche & Jeffrey Ziegler: Glenn is as fave a drummer/percussionist as I have in the world, do always glad to catch anything he does.
~The Autumn Defense: Will be sad to miss them involving schedule conflict with King Sunny Ade...
~Mikael Jorgensen: Probably the first act I'll catch...adore him as a keyboard player & curious to hear his work on his own for sure...