Tedeschi Trucks Band Thread

I just started listening to this band in the past year.

Anyhow is probably my favorite new tune from 2016.

I can see why people are not impressed by Derek.  His playing is restrained and he lets Susan and the band shine. Derek's playing just fits perfectly with that band.

Once you reach that level of skill, it is a matter of subjective preference when comparing guitarists.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

some nice shots with Nels (via Relix). Listened to the show on the archive - sounded great.           

I'd like to see the Mad Dogs and Englishmen tribute concert/documentary they have coming out at some point. 

To some, Derek needs to be seen live to be fully appreciated. He lets loose often in a live setting. With the TTB he's one piece to a large puzzle. That's how he wants it. I think he learned that and how to make a song, not just a jam, when he toured with Clapton. They pattern themselves after Joe Cocker and the Mad Dogs. It's a true band effort. One part doesn't overshine the others. If you want to hear Derek let loose check out the only studio album from the ABB with Derek on it..."Hittin The Note". They also released a live album from the Beacon in NYC..."One Way Out".

• 9 months later...

Trey from Phish sat in with TTB at the last Beacon show for Delta Lady and Mtn. Jam. Trey had been teasing Mtn Jam all summer with Phish, so nice to see it fully realized. Sadly, Trey was a bit too deferential to Derek, as he is sometimes when he sits in with others. Don't think he really ever took off, was a bit too restrained. Some nice moments. The bass player tore it up though on the bass solo, nice nod to Berry Oakley. Delta Lady was fun with the horns. I think Trey plays that with his solo band, so he seemed pretty comfortable with the tune. 

https://www.jambase.com/article/tedeschi-trucks-band-welcomes-trey-anastasio-2017-beacon-theatre-finale

Trey from Phish sat in with TTB at the last Beacon show for Delta Lady and Mtn. Jam. Trey had been teasing Mtn Jam all summer with Phish, so nice to see it fully realized. Sadly, Trey was a bit too deferential to Derek, as he is sometimes when he sits in with others. Don't think he really ever took off, was a bit too restrained. Some nice moments. The bass player tore it up though on the bass solo, nice nod to Berry Oakley. Delta Lady was fun with the horns. I think Trey plays that with his solo band, so he seemed pretty comfortable with the tune. 

https://www.jambase.com/article/tedeschi-trucks-band-welcomes-trey-anastasio-2017-beacon-theatre-finale

Agree with your comments about Trey during Mountain Jam. I don't know if deferential is the word that came to mind; I felt during the post bass solo segment he may not have been familiar enough with the double harmonized guitar lines that are such a signature of the song (and the Allmans sound). Having said that, looked like a great sit-in for Delta Lady and Mountain Jam.  My huge regret is that we had tickets for this show, but then my wife changed her mind and didn't want to make the trip down from Boston (for personal family reasons and especially since they are doing 3 nights here in December). Damn!

WRP while I think it would have been nice to get down to NYC and catch some of the guests. It would have been potluck to get who you were interested in. I'm hoping for a wider variety of the setlists' ( than last time) in the 3 nights we are getting in Boston. Just saw (on YouTube) them cover Tom Petty last night Last Dance w/ MJ > Susan did an admiriable job on the Harp although a bit nervous she did an outstanding job on the guitar and vocals. Could have actually let the crowd carry the chorus .. that's how well received it was.

Just saw (on YouTube) them cover Tom Petty last night Last Dance w/ MJ > Susan did an admiriable job on the Harp although a bit nervous she did an outstanding job on the guitar and vocals. Could have actually let the crowd carry the chorus .. that's how well received it was.

It was You Don't Know How It Feels, right? I caught the first set and part of the 2nd set at the Beacon Friday - happened to be in town and picked up tickets at the last minute. Really great. Wish we could have stayed until the end. No guests that night - would like to have seen Nels come out again!!

nalafej'

You had the right song ck out what you missed on YouTube good vid from ( guessing here same person in Balc all week ) as the location of filming is same.

Anyway Susan looked nervous but did in admiral job.

I like the set list from Oct 7 with Let Me Roll It , Please Call Home, Sugaree, Angel From Montgomery, and Song For You. I’d LOVE to hear Susan’s soul power on my fave Gregg Allman ballad Please Call Home, wow! If it’s anything like she does Bird On A Wire it will be stunning

WRP while I think it would have been nice to get down to NYC and catch some of the guests. It would have been potluck to get who you were interested in. I'm hoping for a wider variety of the setlists' ( than last time) in the 3 nights we are getting in Boston.

I’ll be going to the Fri and Sat shows at the Orpheum. Already had Hot Tuna tix for Thursday, I wouldn’t miss that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm pretty sick of TTB setlists these last few years. Way too many covers and hardly anything from the first two albums (first one in particular)

Understand your poin. Matt Mattison singing more would be welcome and I heard A rumor that Kofi sang in NY.

More of this would be welcome.,as they present as somewhat of an ensemble to me.

Understand your poin. Matt Mattison singing more would be welcome and I heard A rumor that Kofi sang in NY.

More of this would be welcome.,as they present as somewhat of an ensemble to me.

I agree in general, but the truth of it is that if they're adding songs for them to sing they will almost definitely be covers, and I'm just over their covers. Probably part of my problem is that I still just prefer dtb in general. 

I like it best when none of them sing. That goes for DTB and TTB.

Wow, that’s really interesting to me. I think Susan is among the best, if not the best, female blues singers since Janis, and I love hearing her sing, especially in front of that band. I could live with less singing by Mattison.

Once again, I agree with wrp. Susan singing Bird On A Wire is one of most moving soulful things I’ve heard.

And I love the covers best. Most are better compositions than their originals and TTB does as good and often better than the originals, all of whom aren’t around anymore anyways. TTB carries the torch for big band R&B soul rock in this decade. These songs would be lost without TTB doing them the justice they deserve. I love it!

2 shows next week in PHX and the intimate Orpheum! Can’t wait!

Wow, that’s really interesting to me. I think Susan is among the best, if not the best, female blues singers since Janis, and I love hearing her sing, especially in front of that band. I could live with less singing by Mattison.

I don't mean to disparage any of the singers in any way.  They all sing just fine.  I'm just more into them for what they can do instrumentally.

I'm with Shug on the covers  :thumbup

I always say that for me one of the marks of a great musician/band is the choice of covers they perform. Warren easily comes to mind as one of the best; he exhibits his soufullness and musical sensibilities in the incredible collections of songs he's chosen to cover over the years. TTB are just about at that level for me. Seeing their Mad Dogs & Englishmen set at Lockn' was a highlight. They've incorporated a lot of that music into their everyday shows, and I'm really good with that. 

And of course it's not just the songs, but the players! And Susan's vocals! 

• 2 weeks later...

I like Susan a lot. My draw to TTB is and will always be Derek though. If they weren't in a band together I don't think I would ever seek out Susan's band. All that being said I definitely prefer Mike's singing. I also could do without ever hearing one of the straight up blues Susan features again (That Did It, etc...) I don't find her playing at all interesting, especially when Derek is standing right there

• 1 year later...

That was fantastic. 

I take back what I said in my previous post.  Susan is a terrific singer, and I really enjoy hearing it now.   The instrumental interplay is still the main draw for me, but her voice has really grown on me and she's proven to be an excellent front-person for this band.   

Did you watch the Lockn set this year in which they played the whole Layla album with Trey Anastasio?  Susan ripped a hot solo and sang great lead on Have You Ever Loved A Woman and Trey was looking over at her with an amazed smile on his face.  I joked with my friends it was like he and Susan were having a musical affair while Derek watched, ha ha ha!

Pretty bummed about losing Tim Lefebrve on bass, but that was almost too good to be true forever.  Majorly bummed about losing Kofi Burbridge to another plane of existence. How great he was!

So this is the third year that Nels has sat in with TTB during their Beacon run, I think?  Bell Bottom Blues was good, but how about the Miles Davis' cover Ali from two years ago, that one should please those who like the instrumentals and the out-there jazz.   https://youtu.be/Qy8XgOt6luQ