• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the White Sox for you -  a head office/management/player dust up - that's all they are talking about here in Chicago. Have to admit, I do hope LaRoche sticks with retiring. The Sox can do a lot with the $13 million...

Go White Sox!

It's especially weird because of how it escalated so quickly when it seemingly didn't need to. Unless it was a calculated move to get him to retire, but that just doesn't seem plausible.

Here's a good article on how the Rangers handle kids in the clubhouse, which I assume is similar to how most clubs do it:

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/mlb/texas-rangers/article66793592.html

I only know what I've heard on local (Denver) sports radio, but shouldn't his kid be in school, anyway, at age 14? Plus, I'm sure it's been noted, but what other jobs are you allowed to bring your kid to work with you about 100% of the time? Kind of seems like a little entitlement on LaRoche's part and I can't blame the front office/management for drawing a line.

Playing baseball isn't a normal job, though. And it's hard to figure out who had a problem with the kid being there. First they said some players did. Then, after the threatened boycott of a game, they said it was coaches complaining. Then they said it was Reinsdorf. I also read that LaRoche might be filing a grievance because his contract had something in it about his son. There was also an article from a few years ago that talked about what they did for his schooling, but I don't remember the specifics.

It just seems that the line management decided to draw was arbitrary and out of the blue, and no one can give a good reason for why it was drawn like that.

Regardless if it's a "normal" job or not, bringing your kid to work every day is a little much. Plus, he's got 4-5 months off every year not working to hang with his kid. 

If it's in his contract (and I really doubt it would be) then he should file a grievance. Curious that there are not set rules already established about limits for family members being around.

Beltre, who routinely has his 9-year-old son Adrian Jr. with him in the clubhouse, said the rules are well known. Neither Beltre nor Colby Lewis recall a time when a player’s kids became an issue in a clubhouse.

“As a team we try not to cross those rules and keep it acceptable for everybody,” Beltre said.

The main two rules are as obvious as you’d expect: acting respectable and quiet while in the locker room and the clubhouse being cleared of all family 90 minutes before a game.

. . .

But Lewis also knows the timing of the request of LaRoche seems odd. Why do it halfway through spring training?

“It’s been going on forever,” Lewis said. “Maybe it would be different if you’re in the middle of pennant race in September and the kid is running around being crazy.”

That’s never been the case with Rangers kids. They’re always well-behaved inside the clubhouse, at least when media is around.

Banister said he encourages the family time because of the nature of the job and the family atmosphere he wants cultivated in the clubhouse.

“Our kids and families have to share us with absolutely everybody,” he said. “For our guys to be able to monitor that and have a healthy balance with their own family and the ability to bring their family to the ballpark and allow them to see and be part of, yet have limitations at times because it is a serious business. There is a time, when it’s ‘let’s go to work.’ I think we do a great job of that here where we find that balance.”

I think each team does have rules about it. And with the White Sox, there has never been an issue with it until now for some reason.

It is hard for me to find the facts in this story. Was Kenny Williams being a dink? Is LaRoche just ready to call it quits? Did he fly off the handle over a little thing? Was the kid really there all the time? Do other players kids hang out all the time? Did some players complain? Are some players now standing up for LaRoche because they feel they have to? Seems like it might be some time before we get a clear picture of what really happened.

The whole White Sox thing is stupid and frustrating. Williams has always been a bit a dick, but this thing has gotten so blown out of proportion on all the angles (players and the upper mangement ). Ventura (Manager) and Hahn (GM) are the ones who have to get all back on track -- luckily the team has always been behind Ventura and I haven't heard one player say anything negative about Ventura.

Again, though,  I am glad LaRoche is gone. The rest of the team has to man up and play.

Go White Sox!

Here's a great link to the story, by a pretty good baseball writer: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnist/bob-nightengale/2016/03/18/adam-laroche-drake-laroche-kenny-williams/81993428/

Here's a quick rundown:

-Quote from Adam LaRoche: “We’re not big on school,” LaRoche said. “I told my wife, ‘He’s going to learn a lot more useful information in the clubhouse than he will in the classroom, as far as life lessons.’” LaRoche brings his son almost all the time with him.

-Son is always around, during practices, team meetings, games, etc.

-Multiple people complained to Kenny Williams about Drake LaRoche always being around (As much as Williams is a gigantic dick, whom I wish the Sox fired back in 2011, I don't think he's going to go out of his way to make up people complaining about the son). Williams meets with Adam LaRoche when people started complaining, asking him to "dial it back."

-During Spring Training, the son is still there every day.

-Williams saw Drake on the field this week, in the middle of a practice drill, standing on the pitcher’s mound, he lost it. Pissed off, Williams told LaRoche that was it, Drake has to go.

-Williams then said to keep it below 50% of the time.

-Chris Sale and Adam Eaton lose their collective shit.

Honestly, I hate Ken Williams. He's been living off of 2005 far too long and should've been fired when the Ozzie nonsense happened. But, I think he is right in this case.

Here's a great link to the story, by a pretty good baseball writer: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnist/bob-nightengale/2016/03/18/adam-laroche-drake-laroche-kenny-williams/81993428/

Here's a quick rundown:

-Quote from Adam LaRoche: “We’re not big on school,” LaRoche said. “I told my wife, ‘He’s going to learn a lot more useful information in the clubhouse than he will in the classroom, as far as life lessons.’” LaRoche brings his son almost all the time with him.

-Son is always around, during practices, team meetings, games, etc.

-Multiple people complained to Kenny Williams about Drake LaRoche always being around (As much as Williams is a gigantic dick, whom I wish the Sox fired back in 2011, I don't think he's going to go out of his way to make up people complaining about the son). Williams meets with Adam LaRoche when people started complaining, asking him to "dial it back."

-During Spring Training, the son is still there every day.

-Williams saw Drake on the field this week, in the middle of a practice drill, standing on the pitcher’s mound, he lost it. Pissed off, Williams told LaRoche that was it, Drake has to go.

-Williams then said to keep it below 50% of the time.

-Chris Sale and Adam Eaton lose their collective shit.

Honestly, I hate Ken Williams. He's been living off of 2005 far too long and should've been fired when the Ozzie nonsense happened. But, I think he is right in this case.

Here's a good take, too, particulalry Ms. randa's points in the end:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/rosenblog/ct-adam-laroche-white-sox-rosenbloom-20160321-column.html

• 2 weeks later...

Opening Day is finally here.

Some predictions, so I can chuckle about them in October:

American League

West: Houston

Central: KC

East: Toronto

National League

West: SF

Central: Chicago

East: NY

Playoffs

AL Wildcard

Texas over Cleveland

NL Wildcard

St. Louis over Washington

ALDS

Toronto over Texas

KC over Houston

NLDS

NY over St. Louis

Chicago over SF

ALCS

Toronto over KC

NLCS

Chicago over NY

World Series

Toronto over Chicago

• 2 weeks later...

It's fun being a Chicago baseball fan now-a-days. Last year the White Sox would have been lucky to get one out...

"That was fire drill - the house was ablaze and now it's no longer burning" - Ed Farmer - White Sox radio guy - perfect.

http://m.mlb.com/cws...-play/?c_id=cws

Go White Sox!

It certainly is fun being a Cubs fan today. It is amazing when a 16 run performance gets overshadowed by a no hitter. Arrieta is amazing right now. A friend offered me this bet. Arrieta's wins plus 10, will be more then the number of earned runs he will give up (last year he gave up 45 earned runs).

BTW that Ed Farmer makes no sense.