Suggestions to replace a dying 160gb iPod Classic?

Thanks everybody for all the feedback. I still don't know what to do, but for now I'm leaning toward holding on to the old iPod until it dies or a newer model of iPad is introduced, which will likely mean a price drop on the 128gb iPad mini. If the current iPod dies before there's a price drop, I guess I'll spend the $299 for a replacement classic. (If Apple is still offering that option by then, of course.)

It's illuminating to see how many of you have found yourselves in similar situations. Sigh...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks everybody for all the feedback. I still don't know what to do, but for now I'm leaning toward holding on to the old iPod until it dies or a newer model of iPad is introduced, which will likely mean a price drop on the 128gb iPad mini. If the current iPod dies before there's a price drop, I guess I'll spend the $299 for a replacement classic. (If Apple is still offering that option by then, of course.)

It's illuminating to see how many of you have found yourselves in similar situations. Sigh...

I felt like I had lost a family member the day my last classic died. I ended up going with the 128 touch and I'm pretty used to it by now but it took a while. I don't use my touch for anything except music so I can't speak for the other features but its an iPhone that doesn't call or ring. The one reason I am now glad I switched though is I have a Sonos system in the house now and it becomes your remote which travels through the house and into the kitchen, backyard or wherever. I also Bluetooth it to my car radio and chuck it in the console which eliminates a cord which is always good. When I went to mine the classics were still available and I deliberated for a couple weeks. I wasn't sure I made the right decision till I got the Sonos and now I wouldn't have it any other way. 

I'm nearing the end of a three-month free trial of Apple Music and it sucks in so many ways I can't imagine paying for the service. For one thing, say you're listening to an album and you quit the app. The next time you open it, you get a welcome screen with no way to play from where you were. You have to search for the artist/album again to play it (you can also open History but that only goes back so far). It's ridiculous, and there's a hundred little fucked up things like that about Apple Music that turn me way off.

Sounds like they're redesigning the app: http://www.macrumors.com/2016/05/04/apple-music-design-overhaul-wwdc-in-june/

A few years ago I began ripping my CD collection to lossless FLAC format.  Now I exclusively play my music at home through a computer connected to my stereo using JRiver media center – which is kind of like iTunes but better.  It has a handy phone app called JRemote that allows you to scroll through your music library and control playback from the phone.

Problem was I wanted to be able to access my music library while away from home – and with almost two terrabytes of music there’s no way I was going to fit that  on my phone, even after converting to mp3.  But then I found that JRemote allows you to stream music from your home system to your phone via the internet.  So now I have access to my entire collection at work, in my car, or anywhere in the world.  It’s like your very own streaming service – without the subscription charges or ads.

Well, Best Buy has the iPad mini 128 gb on sale for $499. It seems to be a legitimate sale--looks like all other regular retailers are still selling it for $599--so I think I'm going to bite the bullet and buy it tomorrow. I'm too old and set in my ways to try any of these more elaborate alternatives, although my hat's off to you all for your inventiveness! Plus, I really depend on the podcasts (Fresh Air, Marc Maron, This American Life, etc.) almost as much as my music when I'm on the road, and I like the ease of keeping it all updated and synced through iTunes without a lot of effort.

Got the mini today, along with the invisashield and a zagg case with keyboard. It's so darn cute! Now I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it syncs up with my itunes tonight, after I clear out some stuff that's clogging up the works.

^^^ Dear Lord, that would be a stressful call for me to make to the hotel to see if someone had located it! Glad they found it for you.  

i left my 160GB iPod in a hotel room on Tues morning. 

i called and they confirmed they had it. i sent a pre-paid envelope to them today, so hopefully i'll get it back soon.

Shudder to think

Since I started this topic, I thought I'd update you all. I did buy the iPad mini with 128GB storage on sale at Best Buy for $500. It took quite a while and several false starts for it to sync up correctly with my iTunes account but I think it's finally done now. Basically, if you have a lot of music files, it's going to take several syncing sessions to get everything transferred over, and a few random tunes wouldn't sync at all, but most of what didn't make it was disposable anyway.

We have an Apple store near my home so I've had two technical assistance appointments with their "geniuses." The first guy was clueless but the second one was really helpful and gave me lots of good tips on managing my library. I still need to play around with this thing more to get entirely comfortable with it, but so far I'm very happy with the purchase and am not feeling so much panic about the dying iPod. In fact, I've tidied up my music library and actually have a little room to spare.

If this old dog can learn some new tricks, there's hope for the rest of you too. So don't despair when the inevitable happens--there are decent alternatives!

• 2 weeks later...

Would anybody know of good sites I can send mine to be refurbished. Mine hasn't died yet but I shudder to think about when it happens. I would rather have my original one than  a new refurbish one.

Would anybody know of good sites I can send mine to be refurbished. Mine hasn't died yet but I shudder to think about when it happens. I would rather have my original one than  a new refurbish one.

I didn't even think of this for my whacked out iPod Classic 160 that I barely use anymore due to it being on the blink. A quick google search led me here, though: http://www.ebay.com/gds/How-to-Refurbish-an-iPod-/10000000177770905/g.html

And here: https://www.ifixit.com/Device/iPod_Classic

Personally, I'd feel more comfortable with paying an "expert" to refurbish mine, by if you're a DIY'er...

• 1 year later...

Bumping this old thread for the benefit of those of you (like me) still listening to music on an old iPod classic.  I found a guy on eBay who will swap out the hard drive on my 164gb iPod with a 360gb flash memory.  It's more expensive than I thought it would be, but now I'll be set for life (or longer) and won't have to be as selective about the music I purchase for fear of running out of storage.  The seller claims it's seamless -- everything (music and album artwork) gets transferred over and he replaces the battery for free.

Bumping this old thread for the benefit of those of you (like me) still listening to music on an old iPod classic.  I found a guy on eBay who will swap out the hard drive on my 164gb iPod with a 360gb flash memory.  It's more expensive than I thought it would be, but now I'll be set for life (or longer) and won't have to be as selective about the music I purchase for fear of running out of storage.  The seller claims it's seamless -- everything (music and album artwork) gets transferred over and he replaces the battery for free.

If you don't mind me asking, what is the charge to have that done? Also, what do you do with the flash drive (besides plug it into a computer)? How do you access that music without a computer?

Can you let me know who did it? The free battery replacement (assuming all goes smoothly) is really good since that seems to always be the first thing to go.

If you don't mind me asking, what is the charge to have that done? Also, what do you do with the flash drive (besides plug it into a computer)? How do you access that music without a computer?

The flash drive is in the ipod, so just connect it like normal. The advantage is more capacity, less power usage (so better battery life), and it's more hardy.

Can you let me know who did it? The free battery replacement (assuming all goes smoothly) is really good since that seems to always be the first thing to go.

I'll send you a message with the details.

The flash drive is in the ipod, so just connect it like normal. The advantage is more capacity, less power usage (so better battery life), and it's more hardy.

Ah, I didn't know that. Thanks BeShakey. And, when you hear from Chez about who can do it and how much. please let me know, too. Thanks.

I've been using iTunes Match for a year now and I really like it.  It's $25 a year, so much less expensive than most streaming services.  It keeps my entire iTunes music library in the cloud, including live shows etc., and I can organize it however I want.  The downsides compared to a big iPod are that it uses cellular data if not on WiFi, and it limits quality to 256 kbps, but those are okay tradeoffs for $25 a year.