Spoon - Hot Thoughts

Hiss Golden Messenger - Hallelujah Anyhow

Thundercat - Drunk

Right outside my top 10 (for now)

Jason Isbell

Paul Weller

David Bazan

Fleet Foxes

Albums that I "discovered" in 2017 that were earlier releases that stayed in rotation all year:

Fruit Bats - The Ruminant Band

Blitzen Trapper - Destroyer of the Void

Blitzen Trapper - Destroyer of the Void

That's funny, my wife bought American Goldwing this summer and I was really impressed with it. Actually thought it sounded just a little bit like (earlyish) Wilco. Sort of. Well, I think it would sound like Wilco if you had a musician who's never heard Wilco before but had to recreate their sound solely based off you describing it to them.

Albums that I "discovered" in 2017 that were earlier releases that stayed in rotation all year:

Fruit Bats - The Ruminant Band

Fruit Bats as a band were a 2017 discovery for me. Saw them in concert in the spring and really like their 2016 album.

That's funny, my wife bought American Goldwing this summer and I was really impressed with it. Actually thought it sounded just a little bit like (earlyish) Wilco. Sort of. Well, I think it would sound like Wilco if you had a musician who's never heard Wilco before but had to recreate their sound solely based off you describing it to them.

Agree on the sound, definitely Petty/Springsteen/Being There vibe to a few of their albums.  I really liked Furr, dropped out quick on Destroyer of the Void, and the band really, but went back to it this year because I really liked Wild and Reckless.  The second side of the Destroyer album has me hooked, really good stuff.

Fruit Bats as a band were a 2017 discovery for me. Saw them in concert in the spring and really like their 2016 album.

Same here, had heard of them but never listened to any of their stuff until Absolute Loser this year.  Back-tracked and LOVE Ruminant Band, and really all their stuff, including the EDJ "solo" album.

Agree on the sound, definitely Petty/Springsteen/Being There vibe to a few of their albums.  I really liked Furr, dropped out quick on Destroyer of the Void, and the band really, but went back to it this year because I really liked Wild and Reckless.  The second side of the Destroyer album has me hooked, really good stuff.

yeah the dropoff from Furr to Destroyer of the Void was massive. never found my way back to that band.

1) Richard Laviolette - Taking the Long Way Home

2) Fiver - Songs from Rockwood

3) The Weather Station  - S/T

4) Jackie Shane - Any Other Way - Yeah, I know. It is a re-issue

5) Hurray For the Riff Raff - The Navigator

6) Julian Baker - Turn out the lights

Need to listen to a ton more - Benjamin Booker, The National etc.

Best concert  -  Eric Bachman Living Room Tour.  Hollee fucking hell it was great. 

Just realized I didn't get many new albums in 2017, but my faves were:

Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit - The Nashville Sound

Bash & Pop - Anything Could Happen

The Replacements - For Sale, Live at Maxwell's (1986)

Deer Tick - Vol1 / Vol2

A great label. They and Soundway are my 2 favorite current labels. Both have released a ton of great stuff.

I recommend Ultimate Painting's 2 records, too. Great stuff.

checking out the watch and listen section of the Trouble in Mind website...some great stuff for sure! I'm liking Salad Boys too

Just grabbed Chicano Batman's newest record and, I gotta say, this one could definitely make the list. In fact, it certainly will. Great, great stuff.

RIYL: WAR, Shuggie Otis.

Neil Finn - Out of Silence

The Bats - The Deep Set

War on Drugs - A Deeper Understanding

Real Estate - In Mind

Queens of the Stone Age - Villains

Justin Town Earle - Kids in the Street

Spoon - Hot Thoughts

Rhiannon Giddens - Freedom Highway

The National - Sleep Well Beast

Pond - The Weather

Really envious of those of you who truly enjoy so much new music. I can’t remember the last brand new album that really grabbed me. Probably Jayhawks. I must have tried out 12-15 records on Spotify that people whose taste I trust raved about and none got me. Old fartism, I guess...

These are great:

Allvays - Antisocialites

The War on Drugs - A Deeper Understanding

The Regrettes - Feel Your Feelings Fool

Ty Segall - S/T

Kevin Morby - City Music

Japanese Breakfast - Soft Sounds From Another Planet

Big Thief - Capacity

Rips - S/T

Drive By Truckers - American Band

Really envious of those of you who truly enjoy so much new music. I can’t remember the last brand new album that really grabbed me. Probably Jayhawks. I must have tried out 12-15 records on Spotify that people whose taste I trust raved about and none got me. Old fartism, I guess...

this is why republicans exist.

Try the Chicano Batman record. It has an older-type sound (WAR, Shuggie Otis, etc.). I think you might like it.

Pitchfork's 2017 Top 100 song list is out.

Am I the only one who, after skimming over it, feels really out of touch with modern music? Is it okay that I'm familiar with about 4 songs on the list? Or that, sampling many songs in their Top 20, I didn't find even one of them something I'd want to add to my iTunes?

that said, aside from a few acts like Kendrick Lamar, i find virtually none of it appealing to me.

Have you had any time with "the golden era" of late 90's early 00's hip hop? 

I.e. Roots- Things Fall Apart, Black Star, Dilated Peoples- The Platform, Mos Def- Black on Both Sides, Jay-Z- The Blueprint, Raekwon- Built for Cuban Lynx?

These are great:

Allvays - Antisocialites

The War on Drugs - A Deeper Understanding

The Regrettes - Feel Your Feelings Fool

Ty Segall - S/T

Kevin Morby - City Music

Japanese Breakfast - Soft Sounds From Another Planet

Big Thief - Capacity

Rips - S/T

Drive By Truckers - American Band

That Rips albums is very good.  I'm a big fan of American Band, too, but it came out last year.