What Do You Want?

So please join me in wondering aloud what it is we all want from Wilco. You know they will appreciate our opinion!

Here are several types of songs for you to choose between. Nine in total. Go ahead and rank them in order of preference...wait, I'm adding a 10th, which we'll call "Other", for those categories that have escaped me. Please do define your "other" briefly.

Ok so order these choices 1 through 10 and we'll finally Know what the Wilco Fan wants From Wilco.

Sorry for the Capitalizations, I've been reading trump tweets Today.

Here are the categories.

1.) Experimental noise-pop

2.) Rocking, joyous anthems

3.) "Darker" songs

4.) Banjo songs

5.) Beautiful, self-reflective ballads

6.) Country-tinged Americana

7.) Unique, unexpected Tweedyesque one-offs

8.) Sincere, unpretentious rock

9.) Show tunes

10.) Other (Please specify)

So please rank these one through ten, one being your most-desired type of song, and ten your least. You may list the categories by their number in this list.

Once we've all decided, I'm pretty sure Jeff and company will enjoy the results. Ready? Go!

Your replies are interesting! Lots of longing for 6! And yes Albert, I think we can categorize "Capitol City" as a show tune. Personally, I'd like to see them try "Oklahoma" but maybe that's just me.

We need more replies so that we can be statistically significant. Then I will see to it that the band gets the results.

I just want them to get their asses back to Florida. Next month, Bob Dylan is playing St. Augustine, Clearwater, Sarasota, Fort Myers, Fort Lauderdale, and Orlando.

Wilco, by contrast, have not even shown up in the entire state since 2015. That's not a typo. Over three years.

Yes, but what we really need is a statistician to compile our results and figure out what they mean. Volunteers? Mike, why don't you head up the analysis and when I tell Jeff the results, I'll remind him that Florida exists. Deal? :thumbup

So please join me in wondering aloud what it is we all want from Wilco. You know they will appreciate our opinion!

Here are several types of songs for you to choose between. Nine in total. Go ahead and rank them in order of preference...wait, I'm adding a 10th, which we'll call "Other", for those categories that have escaped me. Please do define your "other" briefly.

Ok so order these choices 1 through 10 and we'll finally Know what the Wilco Fan wants From Wilco.

Sorry for the Capitalizations, I've been reading trump tweets Today.

Here are the categories.

1.) Experimental noise-pop

2.) Rocking, joyous anthems

3.) "Darker" songs

4.) Banjo songs

5.) Beautiful, self-reflective ballads

6.) Country-tinged Americana

7.) Unique, unexpected Tweedyesque one-offs

8.) Sincere, unpretentious rock

9.) Show tunes

10.) Other (Please specify)

So please rank these one through ten, one being your most-desired type of song, and ten your least. You may list the categories by their number in this list.

Once we've all decided, I'm pretty sure Jeff and company will enjoy the results. Ready? Go!

Yes,please.

One of my favorite things Jeff ever said in an interview a few years ago was that it's his job to stay curious and that's the most important thing for him. I found that inspiring and decided in some ways it's part of my literal job, but more so part of my career as a professional life-liver, to stay curious.

This is a really long-winded way of me saying that I really like Wilco following whatever twists their creative life takes. To me Schmilco might be a slightly lesser Wilco album, but I love that they followed that path to explore making a weird little intimate record. I'd take two more albums that are unique little three and a half star records provided that they're all authentic and fully realized.

I will echo the sentiments above that it's hard when they take a year off. I love seeing what they cook up next.

One of my favorite things Jeff ever said in an interview a few years ago was that it's his job to stay curious and that's the most important thing for him. I found that inspiring and decided in some ways it's part of my literal job, but more so part of my career as a professional life-liver, to stay curious.

This is a really long-winded way of me saying that I really like Wilco following whatever twists their creative life takes. To me Schmilco might be a slightly lesser Wilco album, but I love that they followed that path to explore making a weird little intimate record. I'd take two more albums that are unique little three and a half star records provided that they're all authentic and fully realized.

I will echo the sentiments above that it's hard when they take a year off. I love seeing what they cook up next.

I like what you said about Schmilco. To me both that and even Star Wars might be considered slightly “lesser” albums, much in the way that Woody Allen would direct big movies like Annie Hall and Manhattan but then do smaller little gems like Broadway Danny Rose and The Purple Rose of Cairo. I don’t consider those smaller movies as less than, more like personal, more intimate explorations. Maybe they’re not going to reach as wide an audience but they can be appreciated by the aficionado just as much. This is not a perfect comparison but maybe something to consider.