Wilcovered

This CD for next month's Uncut magazine is gonna be so awesome, trust me! I love some of the song choices, too...not just the "greatest hits."

Full details, via Wilco HQ's recent e-mail

Tracklisting:
Cate Le Bon – Company In My Back
Parquet Courts – I Got Drugs (At The End Of The Century)
Courtney Barnett – Dawned On Me
Whitney – Far Far Away
Kurt Vile – Passenger Side
Low – War On War
Ohmme – Kicking Television
Mountain Man – You And I
Ryley Walker – Love Is Everywhere (Beware)
Jen Cloher – Impossible Germany
James Elkington – Black Moon
Sharon Van Etten – Radio Cure
Liam Kazar – Sunloathe
Kacy & Clayton – How To Fight Loneliness
Puss N Boots – Jesus, Etc.
Handsome Family – Capitol City
Twin Peaks – Spiders (Kidsmoke)

That line up is stacked. Kudos to whoever organized it. It's ridiculous. Too bad it's CD only, I would gladly buy this on vinyl. 

Also, Parquet Courts... mashing Handshake Drugs and I Got You??

What a cool surprise! I am loving Cate Le Bon's Company In My Back. It both sounds like a Wilco song and a Cate Le Bon song, which I think is what you want out of a cover.

FWIW, I would pay top dollar for an entire Courtney Barnett Wilco covers album. I agree w/ the comment above about a vinyl version. 

Edit: any word on if these songs were recorded at The Loft?

Edit: any word on if these songs were recorded at The Loft?

A lot of them were, I believe. I know they got some folks to do it while they were in town for Pitchfork, like Cate and her band, and Parquet Courts and Kurt Vile. A lot of the others are either friends of the band, live in Chicago and/or have recorded at the Loft before.

• 1 month later...

There’s a two-page spread in the magazine that covers details about every track. They were recorded lots of different ways, including at the Loft.

Fwiw, I noticed that they had one slight boo-boo with that track-by-track breakdown in the magazine. I had heard that the initial version of the track Courtney Barnett recorded for this project was just her doing a solo piano Dawned On Me, which was what is alluded to in the text of the track-by-track breakdown. But apparently at the last minute, she and/or her camp changed their minds and decided to record a solo acoustic guitar version instead, which is what ended up on the CD.

Anyway, I do hope that this will see an official release beyond just the Uncut promo CD. A vinyl version for Record Store Day next year would be great, but I don't know what sort of rights issues would have to be cleared for that to happen. Hopefully it can... :thumbup

Fwiw, I noticed that they had one slight boo-boo with that track-by-track breakdown in the magazine. I had heard that the initial version of the track Courtney Barnett recorded for this project was just her doing a solo piano Dawned On Me, which was what is alluded to in the text of the track-by-track breakdown. But apparently at the last minute, she and/or her camp changed their minds and decided to record a solo acoustic guitar version instead, which is what ended up on the CD.

Ah, that makes a lot of sense. I listened to the CD and then listened to the track-by-track breakdown and was really confused because I didn't remember any piano.  :headbonk

I keep checking my local Barnes & Noble. As of Monday it still wasn't on the shelf.

Still not there.   Bummer, since I'm rarely near one of those stores.  I was really hoping to pick it up today while I was on the way home from the doctor.  I picked up the new Guitar Player with Jeff and Nels on the cover as a consolation prize.   

Picked this up yesterday. It's got some real gems. 

Parquet Courts kind of melds Handshake Drugs, I've Got You at the End of the Century, Bull Black Nova into one song. Very cool!

Kurt Vile makes Passenger Side sound like he wrote it.

I love Low's War on War.

Puss n Boots features Norah Jones singing Jesus, Etc. which I believe she's done live.

Definitely worth the $12 or $13 bucks w/o the magazine, which I haven't looked at yet.

Yeah, I finally got to it this weekend, and I enjoyed listening to these a lot.  Standouts for me:

Sharon Van Etten's Radio Cures, which took me a while, but I ended up finding super interesting.

Ryley Walker's Love is Everywhere (Beware) really captured the mood of the song, but in a very different way melodically. Just gorgeous.

I agree about Kurt Vile's Passenger Side being a strikingly perfect match of song and style.

And Low's War on War was as hauntingly beautiful as you'd expect. I love that it was all Mimi singing.

Only one's I didn't like were the Parquet Courts mashup,,, and the Twin Peaks version of Spiders, which to me just sounded like an inferior band trying to be Wilco.

All of the other covers were really tastefully done and underscored what an amazing songwriting and band-arranging legacy Wilco is already leaving in their wake.

I've listened to the first half so far, and really enjoyed it.  (Somehow it's really difficult for me to listen to a whole cd these days.)  I need to pick it back up, starting with Impossible Germany. 

So far I've enjoyed it all except for the Parquet Courts.  Kudos to them for doing something totally different with their contribution, but I think I'll skip that one when I listen to this cd in the future. 

Winners for me so far are Whitney and Kurt Vile.  I thought the Whitney take on Far Far Away really played up one of Jeff's best melodies in a really nice way.   I'm not really a fan of Kurt's solo material, but his voice is perfect on Passenger Side. If you didn't know anything about Wilco or Kurt Vile, it'd be easy to think this is the original version of the song.    

So far I've enjoyed it all except for the Parquet Courts.  Kudos to them for doing something totally different with their contribution, but I think I'll skip that one when I listen to this cd in the future. 

Same here, it's awesome to take risks when covering something. Their risk just wasn't very rewarding. Whereas Twin Peaks and Nora Jones didn't take much of a risk at all, and it was just kind of 'meh' (for lack of a more intelligent word).

What I did love was Ohmme, Sharon Van Etten, Mountain Man (holy shit!), Courtney Barnett, Low, Jen Cloher, Jim Elkington, Liam Kazar (doing Sunloathe no less) and Handsome Family. In fact I think I'll put those 9 on a playlist and listen to it a lot.

• 2 weeks later...