‪Wilco — 10 October 2019, Boston, MA (Boch Center Wang Theatre) [night 1 of 2]‬

And so begins the Ode to Joy USA tour!

What a treat to have the band back in town and at one of our nicest theaters. The last time Wilco took the stage at The Wang was in 2011 in support of The Whole Love (and featured one of my very favorite show posters to date - Ode to Citgo). 

The band took the stage at 8:30 and as they had done across Europe launched into two new ones: Bright Leaves and Before Us. I will say that one of my favorite parts of seeing this band on a tour in which they're supporting new material is to experience how the new songs integrate with older material. That was what I was thinking about anyway as they followed up Before Us with IATTBYH, a transition that felt... harmonious?

In that context, I'm always so taken by how these songs feel so compatible and yet there's a tremendous range song-to-song, stylistically, tonally, etc. I'm thinking specifically about the four-song run: How to Fight Loneliness, Bull Black Nova, Random Name Generator, and Reservations, but you could easily say that about several different segments of the evening's set.

There was very little in the way of banter, and even less when you account for the fact that one of the few times Jeff took to the mic to chat the majority of us couldn't hear what he was saying. Something about Glenn visiting a cymbals factory? And a reply to a heckle about "USA!"

There were a couple of technical difficulties which started (I believe) during Box Full of Letters. I was standing pretty far to Nels' side and was two rows back from the pit. The speaker in front of me cut out during part of the song and then came back. I assumed that the band noticed, but they made no comment and soon launched into Everyone Hides. This is when the sound really dropped out and the song stopped. A quick scramble and Jeff requested a larger acoustic guitar and opted to play New Madrid without amplification while the crew worked to make things right. To start, he was joined only by Glenn who played his kit softly with brushes behind him. Not long into New Madrid did things fall back into place and with the full band in tow they finished the song and returned to Everyone Hides. Per Jeff: “When life gives you lemons... play New Madrid.”

Presumably due to "lost time" Wilco never left the stage after the main set's finale, I'm the Man Who Loves You. “Let’s pretend we went off stage, you guys cheered, and we came back.” I thought for sure that Misunderstood would be the last song of the night, but the boys treated to a second and final encore thereafter with proper exiting and returning to the stage.

Start time: 8:30

"Encore" break 1: 10:15

Encore break 2: 10:25

End: 10:40

Bright Leaves
Before Us
I am Trying to Break Your Heart
Kamera
If I Ever Was a Child
Handshake Drugs
One and a Half Stars
Hummingbird
White Wooden Cross
Via Chicago
How to Fight Loneliness
Bull Black Nova
Random Name Generator
Reservations
We Were Lucky
Love is Everywhere (Beware)
Impossible Germany
Box Full of Letters (sound cut left speaker)
Everyone Hides (aborted due to sound failure)
New Madrid (Jeff w/o mic, then full band once sound returned)
Everyone Hides
Heavy Metal Drummer
I’m the Man Who Loves You
-------------------------
Hold Me Anyway
Misunderstood
-------------------------
Red-Eyed and Blue >
I Got You (At The End of the Century)
I’m Always In Love
I’m a Wheel

Killer encore

That was a fucking killer old school encore! So amazing! I always expect the amazing, but the show is so well paced & fresh.

Can’t wait for night 2. Staying in Boston over night 10 minutes from the venue. Came back in time to catch 4th quarter of Patriots’ game @ 11pm.

Edit: Everyone stood the whole night right from the moment that they came out. And I could tell. I was in the last row in box seats. Had 2 people to the right of me.

Looks like a good ‘un! Crazy about the PA going out, but sometimes that makes for an even more memorable show...

Thanks for the quick reports, and a special shoutout to knotgreen for following the titling “protocol.” It didn’t go unnoticed! B)

I’d say that “New Madrid” wasn’t solo then full band. All of the amps were on and the band was playing incredibly quietly as not to drown out Jeff’s voice. I could absolutely hear John’s bass following along and Glenn has his brushes out. The had just gotten Mikael a melodica when the system came back up.

Looks like a good ‘un! Crazy about the PA going out, but sometimes that makes for an even more memorable show...

Thanks for the quick reports, and a special shoutout to knotgreen for following the titling “protocol.” It didn’t go unnoticed! B)

The very least I can do in your absence! 

I’d say that “New Madrid” wasn’t solo then full band. All of the amps were on and the band was playing incredibly quietly as not to drown out Jeff’s voice. I could absolutely hear John’s bass following along and Glenn has his brushes out. The had just gotten Mikael a melodica when the system came back up.

My vantage point was such that I really only heard Jeff and a little of Glenn. It was certainly more stripped down than a proper "unplugged" rendition, and closer to a JT solo rendition. At least that's probably what most of the venue could hear, if they could hear anything at all. 

My vantage point was such that I really only heard Jeff and a little of Glenn. It was certainly more stripped down than a proper "unplugged" rendition, and closer to a JT solo rendition. At least that's probably what most of the venue could hear, if they could hear anything at all. 

From the balcony, it was clear that the whole band was trying to contribute with Pat and Mikael kind of struggling (it's hard to describe). The amps were still on, just unmic'd. It was extreme due to the fact that their amps overpowered his voice quite a bit (think about how "Everyone Hides" take 1 sounded. They knew it and they were trying to accommodate. 

I was excited to see New Madrid in the setlist, hopefully that wasn't just a one off due to technical difficulties!  

It was completely unscheduled. As Knotgreen wrote, they cut out the encore ritual to compensate for the lost time. It was pretty clear that they did not plan to add an additional song and had improvised.

Loved it.  FOB audience up on etree (see "In A Future Age").

I won't be there tonight, hopefully someone else will record.  If you bring gear, bookmark the Wilco taping policy on your phone, and be prepared to employ some misdirection and Jedi Mind Tricks.  Here's one got me in the door:

Security:  You can't bring that in here.

Me:  They allow audience taping, I'm allowed.

Security:  You can't bring that in here.

Me: Surely you don't think I'd bring all this stuff here if I weren't allowed to record....

Security:  Go check in at that next table.....

at the "next table" further hi-jinx ensued, and I was directed to "check in "at the desk on the left, you need a wristband".

another hint - don't do it.  that's the photo pass desk, photographers need passes and wristbands, tapers don't (see Wilco taping policy)  there was all kinds of hand-wringing and exercises of authority and abuses of power going on over there, I avoided it like the plague.

I had to dodge at least one more suit before I got to my seat and set up.  thought I was home free.  after the show, I'm breaking down, another

security guy wants to see my "note from the band".  What?  "you need a note from the band to do that".  That's when I pulled my phone out, showed him the Wilco taping policy, and he walked off, somewhat disappointed he didn't make the big bust.

Have fun kids!

https://wilcoworld.net/photo-and-taping-policies/

Went last night after having seen many shows since 2004. While, yes, the music was predictably professional, creative and amazing I found the whole experience to be a bit of a characiture of itself. It felt like being in a Disney world exhibit - "wilco: the concert experience." Perhaps it was the all white (albeit one), predominantly male, aging hipster makeup of the audience, an audience whose beards are now slightly more well kempt, whose clothes are slightly more expensive, whose lives are, one could imagine, more stable than than years gone by. My girlfriend helped elucidate how very Male the energy was in the place and it didnt help being surrounded by drunk bros having love fests with themselves in scenes that snl would have been hard put to improve.Or maybe it was the balding late thirties man in a plaid button down pogoing in the front row as if this was lounge ax c. 2000. I felt bad for the band having to play. For jeff standing in as a substitute for the chaos and creativity and defiance we subdue. But of course jeff himself has softened and calmed over time himself. Likely it was all my projections and personal losses and I sound like just another schmuck pining for the glory days when things felt edgier and hope could be scraped out of three hours with a band I adored.

Went last night after having seen many shows since 2004. While, yes, the music was predictably professional, creative and amazing I found the whole experience to be a bit of a characiture of itself. It felt like being in a Disney world exhibit - "wilco: the concert experience." Perhaps it was the all white (albeit one), predominantly male, aging hipster makeup of the audience, an audience whose beards are now slightly more well kempt, whose clothes are slightly more expensive, whose lives are, one could imagine, more stable than than years gone by. My girlfriend helped elucidate how very Male the energy was in the place and it didnt help being surrounded by drunk bros having love fests with themselves in scenes that snl would have been hard put to improve.Or maybe it was the balding late thirties man in a plaid button down pogoing in the front row as if this was lounge ax c. 2000. I felt bad for the band having to play. For jeff standing in as a substitute for the chaos and creativity and defiance we subdue. But of course jeff himself has softened and calmed over time himself. Likely it was all my projections and personal losses and I sound like just another schmuck pining for the glory days when things felt edgier and hope could be scraped out of three hours with a band I adored.

Why are you trying to squash other people’s fun? Pogoing guy was having fun...who cares how old he is or what he’s wearing? It sounds like it’s more a you issue than a band issue... if they didn’t wanna play shows, don’t you think they’d stop touring so consistently? They play cos they like it, they’re professionals at what they do, yes, but they obviously still get something out of it, too. 

Why are you trying to squash other people’s fun? Pogoing guy was having fun...who cares how old he is or what he’s wearing? It sounds like it’s more a you issue than a band issue... if they didn’t wanna play shows, don’t you think they’d stop touring so consistently? They play cos they like it, they’re professionals at what they do, yes, but they obviously still get something out of it, too. 

:thumbup

I'm with knotgreen: this section - How to Fight Loneliness, Bull Black Nova, Random Name Generator, and Reservations - was really memorable. When they finished Reservations, I thought, "What a great run of songs there". I am not a huge fan of hearing How to Fight Loneliness at their shows, but last night's was definitely the best version I have heard.

I thought the new songs fit really well with the older material. I like OTJ; I love it live. The new songs come off as much more muscular than the vinyl versions, generally due to Glenn's playing, and they played other songs that matched this forcefulness - Bull Black Nova (which has been tweaked), Handshake Drugs (also a bit different from past versions), and Misunderstood come to mind.

They are firing on all cylinders.

Enjoyed last night performance immensely.

So glad they are doing two in my hometown. It’s great to see many familiar faces from different places I have met over the years.

Hoping for Dawned on me

Almost

Don’t forget the flowers

California Stars * almost a Given

I won't be there tonight, hopefully someone else will record.  If you bring gear, bookmark the Wilco taping policy on your phone, and be prepared to employ some misdirection and Jedi Mind Tricks.  Here's one got me in the door:

I'm not a great one for listening to show tapes, but appreciate the work done by the likes of yourself when I do hear something that is available that I was particularly interested in. On behalf of all of us, thanks to you and others for your efforts.

. Hmmmmm......never mind. I’ll save energy for spreading love.

I have a love/hate relationship with Boston audiences ... people yelling shit like "Go pats!" when there's a moment of silence/downtime is embarrassing. On the other hand, there's a certain energy a lot of Boston crowds bring that can elevate the experience at times. (Shows in Portland ME, for example, tend to have a more subdued audience). This duality was on full display at this show. 

Loved the show, nice to see the band in a great-sounding theater after consecutive Solid Sounds. Props to the crew for dealing with the PA issue fairly quickly, and to the band for doing their best to play through it. 

Bull Black Nova kicks so much ass these days. Huge highlight every time. 

Most of the new material is fitting in well and has begun to evolve a little now that they've been playing it for a bit.