25 Years of Wilco

Fun article, I absolutely loved that 2008 Lollapalooza show.  Was feeling really good and just rocked the hell out.

Oh yes, what a rocked out intense show. In the Nudie suits to boot! The "work in progress" version of One Wing is a highlight. Very minimalistic arrangement for the song, then at the end the entire band goes off in a walloping jam. Love it. 

Wow. How has it been 25 years? I didn't discover Wilco until May of '95, as I didn't know about Uncle Tupelo and was in school in London during the spring semester of '95. What a magical time in my life - a time with which I'll always associate Wilco and A.M. Happy 25th to one of my all-time favorite bands, and thank you for providing the soundtrack for so many seasons of my life. 

Correct

So, Wilco Class of 2021?? I don't know if they'll get in on the first ballot, but I hope they do make it at some point. The RnR HoF itself is probably not a big deal to them, but it would be cool to see Jeff and John reconnect with some combination of Ken/Max/Bob/Leroy for a ceremony or performance.

When they ever get into the hall, I am guessing, beside the current members, only Ken and Leroy will be part of it and maybe not even those two. But who knows.

It would be a real shame if Leroy was not involved. 

When they ever get into the hall, I am guessing, beside the current members, only Ken and Leroy will be part of it and maybe not even those two. But who knows.

Why not Max? He was a founding member and played on two records. Leroy only played on two records. Well, four, if you count single-song performance credits on Summerteeth and MA 2. He was much more of a contributor on YHF and AGIB. And sure, he was a touring member since 1998, so I suppose I can see why he’d be more worthy. But it would just seem like a snuff to only include 1-2 former members and not someone who was there at the start and was a member of Uncle Tupelo. Just my $0.02.

Bob Egan was the man hope he’s there too! Let me tell you why bob is the best. Rewind to 1997 Wilco is on letterman performing outta site. I attended the taping and after the show I saw bob outside. He saw I had my being there cd partially signed. He asked me who I was missing and I told him and he grabbed John, Jay and Jeff from inside the building for me where I then proceeded to talk with the band for the next half hour

So, Wilco Class of 2021?? I don't know if they'll get in on the first ballot, but I hope they do make it at some point. The RnR HoF itself is probably not a big deal to them, but it would be cool to see Jeff and John reconnect with some combination of Ken/Max/Bob/Leroy for a ceremony or performance.

Probably more of a long shot since he was never actually a member, but it would be awesome to even have Brian Henneman come out to play a little bit of lead guitar!

Why not Max? He was a founding member and played on two records. Leroy only played on two records. Well, four, if you count single-song performance credits on Summerteeth and MA 2. He was much more of a contributor on YHF and AGIB. And sure, he was a touring member since 1998, so I suppose I can see why he’d be more worthy. But it would just seem like a snuff to only include 1-2 former members and not someone who was there at the start and was a member of Uncle Tupelo. Just my $0.02.

I hope all the members get in - but I think the hall actually does the picking and for some reason I don't think those past members will get the nod, guessing Tweedy will have some influence, though.  

I am guessing Leroy will get in  because he was the two above records and those two were successful, award and sales wise.

I saw them play two nights at the UIC pavilion,---- I think Margherita billed it as 'The Great 2009 Chicago Arena Tour' to insure induction into the hall ---- does that count?

side note, I bought the night two poster last week during Wilco's sale for $5. They didn't have night one available.

WilcoChicago09jMed.jpg

You all are debating this like they'll get in. I don't see it happening. They aren't popular enough. There is not a single artist in the HOF who hasn't had an arena tour.

It would be nice to see The Jayhawks, UT, Wilco, Blue Mountain, Whiskeytown, Old 97s, etc. in there. But I agree with you - I will be surprised if any of those bands ever get inducted. 

Probably more of a long shot since he was never actually a member, but it would be awesome to even have Brian Henneman come out to play a little bit of lead guitar!

I was thinking the same thing! In my dream scenario, they'd play three songs:

1. Something from AM with Jeff/John/Ken/Max/Brian

2. Something from YHF or AGIB with Jeff/John/Glenn/Leroy/Mike/special guest appearance by Jim O'Rourke

3. Impossible Germany with current lineup

This leaves Bob out, and doesn't represent Being There or Summerteeth, so there are so many other permutations that would be interesting as well.

Bookmark this post. Wilco is in by 2025, maybe sooner.

Edit: I guess I should add my reasoning. It seems like YHF is just too universally lauded as a classic and important LP to ignore.

YHF is their DSOTM, etc. etc. I think it's their best record.

I didn't see Wilco live until 2002. YHF was the first record I heard. I IMMEDIATELY thought, "WOW. Now THIS is really something!" Of course, I went backward and got BT, ST, AM. I was super impressed by how different every record was. I think they'll get in easily - maybe not first ballot, but not long after that. They've always had critics/media digging them. 

You all are debating this like they'll get in. I don't see it happening. They aren't popular enough. There is not a single artist in the HOF who hasn't had an arena tour.

We’re not debating. It’s friendly discourse. Call it wishful thinking. Just having some fun recalling the contributions of members from the early days.

Not sure if your'e serious, but this is not true.

When did Booker T and the MGs do an arena tour?  Or Elvis Costello?  Or Leadbelly? Or the Velvet Underground?  Or many, many others?

I would agree they probably wont get in, at least not for a while.  But it's not because of their audience size.  It's more due to them showing how useless the traditional record business is.