1 hour ago, brownie said:

I was a regular customer there for many years and contributed a small amount to the Kickstarter campaign to get the film made.  I am truly not am obscure music snob, and I never felt intimidated there.  I saw a great live set by Calexico there years ago.  I miss that place a lot.

Oh I am sure the intimidation was as much about me as it was them.  The time I went in I was rushed and I couldn't quite figure out how things were sorted and wasn't sure what I was looking for.  I spent a lot of time in that neighborhood from '86 to '88 and had it been around then I am sure I would have been a regular. 

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

In 1942 both Citizen Kane and The Maltese Falcon were Best Picture nominees. Neither won. Last night I watched the movie that beat out both to win the big prize. 

800px-How_Green_Was_My_Valley_(1941_post

On 10/24/2020 at 5:40 AM, chuckrh said:

borat-2-poster-405x600.jpg

I really enjoyed it, but...

Spoiler

I felt that the scenes with Borat in disguise were much funnier than the scenes with just Cohen as Borat. And there seemed to be a lot more scenes like this probably because mostly everyone should know who Borat is, so you can’t really get the “gotcha!” moments anymore. This leads me to think that this project might’ve come from footage from a potential second season of the brilliant Who Is America? mixed in with new footage shot recently to make a feature film. Or to put it in a different way, it felt like a Who Is America? feature film with Cohen’s new characters/personas mixed with a few Borat scenes. 

Special Thanks to Neuroglue for bringing back the Spoiler tag feature. It’s the EYE in the toolbar. 

Borat just doesn’t do it for me. Even knowing the Rudy scene was ahead couldn’t keep me watching.  I gave up about 30 mins in.  I just don’t find the character or premise all that funny or interesting. 🤷‍♂️

On 10/25/2020 at 1:51 AM, ih8music said:

Borat just doesn’t do it for me. Even knowing the Rudy scene was ahead couldn’t keep me watching.  I gave up about 30 mins in.  I just don’t find the character or premise all that funny or interesting. 🤷‍♂️

Same - we got about 30 minutes in and lost interest. The skit I remember was when he was dictating a fax to some poor old guy working at the neighborhood Kinkos. 

Borat II - It was definitely very patchy and at times just uncomfortable rather than funny, but some decent guffaws. The Rudy scene has been puffed up into something it probably wasn't, though he did come across as a bit patronising/sleezy. I did think the covid 'twist' at the end was quite nicely done, and THAT OLD LADY IN THE SYNAGOGUE WAS JUST MAGNIFICENT! (made the whole film worthwhile).

Also, did you hear that whilst Borat I was banned, for Borat II the Kazakh Tourist Board have now adopted 'Very Nice!' as their new slogan. If you can't beat them, join them.

Earlier Re: How Green Was My Valley - I should watch that to see just how bad the Welsh accents are - chwarae teg look you now boyo.

EDIT. Talking about Rudy, he is one of the talking heads in the 3 part The Trump Show just shown on BBC. Just when you couldn't believe things could be any more comic/tragic, a parade of ex-administration insiders lift the lid a bit more.  

I wasn't able to make it through the first Borat movie. Not even going to attempt a second one.

In response to ih8music's post from 10/22 about Lovecraft Country: Yes I watched, and LOVED it. I don't recall ever being simultaneously so confused and so consumed by anything that wasn't a David Lynch project. So much fun.

22 hours ago, ZiggyBratwurst said:

In response to ih8music's post from 10/22 about Lovecraft Country: Yes I watched, and LOVED it. I don't recall ever being simultaneously so confused and so consumed by anything that wasn't a David Lynch project. So much fun.

No kidding.  We finished the finale this past weekend.  Those last 3-4 episodes of the season were such a mind-f*ck.

Love this show so much, on many levels -- just not sure what they can do for season 2.

On 10/12/2020 at 2:48 PM, ih8music said:

Has this been discussed yet?  I'm only 4 episodes in, but this is a PHENOMENAL show.

MV5BM2ExMmZlZDQtOTJiZC00Y2UzLWIxNDYtZTdi

I was going to reply to you to discuss the show, but I had this idea to go back and watch the 1st 7 episodes again, before I finished this season. I had several questions about things and refused to hit up some articles on the net. My first thought was that you would love the later episodes, if you enjoyed the 1st 4 which I found to be great with some hiccups along the way. 

The pilot episode was amazing right up until the scene with the monsters near the end. I felt that the editing was too “breakneck” paced for my tastes. I thought maybe they were trying to hide the special effects or something with the lighting. I had to rewind that scene a few times to see what was going on. 

The way they structured the second episode felt a lot like it should have been the penultimate episode or finale. It was quite surprising that it was only the second. And I thought that the third & fourth were solid, but I’m grasping to remember what happened in them. However, the last 6 episodes were all phenomenal: the Hippolyta & Ji-Ah episodes were real standouts and different from the rest of the season. The 9th episode was probably my favorite episode of any show this year. I have a few ideas how they can continue into a second season. 

I still preferred HBO’s Watchmen which I don’t think anyone mentioned in here. It helped to be familiar with the original source material. I was worried that a sequel or “remix” would never work, but was blown away by the storyline and how it tied to current times. 

1 hour ago, u2roolz said:

I still preferred HBO’s Watchmen which I don’t think anyone mentioned in here. It helped to be familiar with the original source material. I was worried that a sequel or “remix” would never work, but was blown away by the storyline and how it tied to current times. 

Yeah, I'm definitely interested in checking out the Watchmen after seeing Lovecraft Country.

• 1 month later...

Watched a great movie last ight on Prime called "The Sound of Metal."  It's about a drummer in a punk duo who loses his hearing.  Great performances -- especially from Riz Ahmed. 

Just finished watching this film and enjoyed it tremendously. Viola Davis and Chadwick Boseman were incredible. Lagniappe: The Ma Rainey House and Museum in Columbus, Georgia is open for tours. Its curator is Fred Fussell, the father of Solid Sound alumnus and opener for several Wilco shows, Jake Xerxes Fussell. 

ma-raineys-black-bottom-netflix-148634.j

39 minutes ago, Mr. Heartbreak said:

The absolute monster performance by Pamela Rabe as Joan Ferguson is next-level. We're talking Walter White territory. Great show.

Interesting. Goes to show how opinions differ. Her performance almost ruined the show for me. IMO she seemed totally cartoonish compared to the other actors/characters. Still, great show.