Good Idea. There are discs in there with a bunch of unreleased performances. I am going to watch those later today. (I think I paid 30 bucks for it. I see now it is listed on Amazon for 85 bucks.)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure

Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey

Bill & Ted Face The Music

Previous to this weekend I had only seen bits and pieces of the first two. I know these movies were popular when they came out but I don't think my generation really caught on with them like we have with Back to the Future, Wayne's World, Ferris Bueller, and other movies from that era. Both the first two films have homophobic slurs which obviously, were bad at the time and haven't aged well at all, but also feel needlessly mean and harsh for two films that are otherwise very positive.

Excellent Adventure kind of felt like the Gen-X equivalent of Scott Pilgrim. It was really fun, the characters were charming, I had a few good laughs. Overall it was a great time, if a little... surface level.

Bogus Journey though... might be the most creative movie I've ever seen! I friggin loved it. The whole movie was surreal and absurd. It's like no one once said "hey is this too much??". Everything with Death was just, great. They beat him at boardgames, take him to heaven, mug people for their clothes, and then meet Station. It's insane! Seriously look how great this character design is:

Station_II.jpg

And the good robots might be the best looking robots I've ever seen in any television or movie: 

f592a4b770c4dd488281b0a00c81955c.jpg

It feels like Excellent Adventure spends a lot of it's time laughing at Bill and Ted but Bogus Journey just embraces the stupidity and becomes something completely unique because of it. I feel like Excellent Adventure was the one I heard the most about which is a pity because Bogus Journey is a god damn classic.

Face The Music was a lot of fun and is probably as good as a sequel to a comedy 30 years later can be. The daughters were great and stole the show. Everything about their fallout with Death was just perfect. It didn't equal the highs of Bogus Journey for me (really, can any film?). It felt like a combination of Excellent Adventure and Bogus Journey but it also didn't feel like it tried to do anything new. Outside of Twin Peaks I can't think of a decades later continuation that did something new and felt satisfying, so that's probably for the best.

Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure

Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey

Bill & Ted Face The Music

Previous to this weekend I had only seen bits and pieces of the first two. I know these movies were popular when they came out but I don't think my generation really caught on with them like we have with Back to the Future, Wayne's World, Ferris Bueller, and other movies from that era. Both the first two films have homophobic slurs which obviously, were bad at the time and haven't aged well at all, but also feel needlessly mean and harsh for two films that are otherwise very positive.

Excellent Adventure kind of felt like the Gen-X equivalent of Scott Pilgrim. It was really fun, the characters were charming, I had a few good laughs. Overall it was a great time, if a little... surface level.

Bogus Journey though... might be the most creative movie I've ever seen! I friggin loved it. The whole movie was surreal and absurd. It's like no one once said "hey is this too much??". Everything with Death was just, great. They beat him at boardgames, take him to heaven, mug people for their clothes, and then meet Station. It's insane! Seriously look how great this character design is:

And the good robots might be the best looking robots I've ever seen in any television or movie: 

It feels like Excellent Adventure spends a lot of it's time laughing at Bill and Ted but Bogus Journey just embraces the stupidity and becomes something completely unique because of it. I feel like Excellent Adventure was the one I heard the most about which is a pity because Bogus Journey is a god damn classic.

Face The Music was a lot of fun and is probably as good as a sequel to a comedy 30 years later can be. The daughters were great and stole the show. Everything about their fallout with Death was just perfect. It didn't equal the highs of Bogus Journey for me (really, can any film?). It felt like a combination of Excellent Adventure and Bogus Journey but it also didn't feel like it tried to do anything new. Outside of Twin Peaks I can't think of a decades later continuation that did something new and felt satisfying, so that's probably for the best.

I ran a pizza shop back in those days. We had two guys from NJ that hung out in the place about everyday. They were a real life version of Bill and Ted. I recall they used the term "poofter". And one of them carried around a B.C. Rich guitar.  I don't think I will watch the new one. Although I might if it shows up on Amazon Prime. I recall trying to watch Jay and Silent Bob Reboot. I could not get into it. 

I ran a pizza shop back in those days. We had two guys from NJ that hung out in the place about everyday. They were a real life version of Bill and Ted. I recall they used the term "poofter". And one of them carried around a B.C. Rich guitar.  I don't think I will watch the new one. Although I might if it shows up on Amazon Prime. I recall trying to watch Jay and Silent Bob Reboot. I could not get into it. 

Poofter! That's great. To be fair, the new one is a significantly better movie than Jay and Silent Bob Reboot. Worth a watch but maybe not the $20 rental price.

Soul America - 3 x 1 hour BBC music doc.

Seen 1 (origins and pop - to Motown/Stax) & 2 (civil rights and 70s). Will probably not bother with episode 3 when it gets all "Mr Lover Man". 

A collage that only skims the surface but always nice to see some good clips and hear some stories from those that were there and odd moments - like the keyboards player from I Never Loved A Man The Way That I Love You talking about coming up with the riff. 

Also, Mavis is one of the talking heads.

Never heard of Wattstax before, so that's something.

In other news, Up to series 8 of my rewind of the entire Spooks oeuvre (a few episodes a week since BBC put them all up on iPlayer as a Lockdown balm).

Glad to hear that What We Do In The Shadows has fellow admirers. There is the original film too in case you didn't know. And Matt Berry fans really should check out Toast of London.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t97eE2fst4A

Soul America - 3 x 1 hour BBC music doc.

Seen 1 (origins and pop - to Motown/Stax) & 2 (civil rights and 70s). Will probably not bother with episode 3 when it gets all "Mr Lover Man". 

A collage that only skims the surface but always nice to see some good clips and hear some stories from those that were there and odd moments - like the keyboards player from I Never Loved A Man The Way That I Love You talking about coming up with the riff. 

Also, Mavis is one of the talking heads.

Never heard of Wattstax before, so that's something.

In other news, Up to series 8 of my rewind of the entire Spooks oeuvre (a few episodes a week since BBC put them all up on iPlayer as a Lockdown balm).

Glad to hear that What We Do In The Shadows has fellow admirers. There is the original film too in case you didn't know. And Matt Berry fans really should check out Toast of London.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t97eE2fst4A

You can probably find Wattstax on Youtube. Sometimes it is there - sometimes it gets taken down. 

You can probably find Wattstax on Youtube. Sometimes it is there - sometimes it gets taken down. 

Yes. Got it thanks. Thought of you yesterday when I heard that the last episode of Doc Martin has been recorded You have my condolences.

I've been slowly working my way through Criterion's massive Ingmar Bergman box set. Most of the titles have been repeat viewings, but the early work “Port of Call” (1948) was new to me and rather surprising since Bergman chose to operate in an unusual register. The story, which concerns a young woman hesitant to tell her new beau about her checkered past, might be too melodramatic for, say, Rossellini, but the visual style, quotidian details, and focus on class and culture were clearly inspired by the traits and philosophy of neorealism. I also took another look at “Cries and Whispers” (1972). I've always considered it one of Bergman’s coldest, most mannered films, but I don’t mean that as a criticism. There’s a stark, feminine interiority at work in the story of a dying woman being attended to by her two sisters and housemaid. Drenched in red and white, the complex psychoanalytical interplay between longing, dreams, childhood, mortality, eroticism, repression, jealousy, rejection, body horror, class, and privilege remains carefully controlled and inexhaustible nearly 50 years later.
11 hours ago, Analogman said:

I have become quite fascinated by various European shows on Netflix this summer:

Bordertown (Finnish)

Dark (German)

Criminal UK, France, Spain, Germany

Signs (Polish)

The Five (UK)

I loved Criminal UK’s 1st season. I forgot that season 2 was released last week.

The reason I posted was to ask you the important question: are you watching Dark with the subtitles or dubbed in English? I really want to check that one out. 

I watch everything that I can with subtitles. It’s the best. Lots of times it’ll tell you the artist & name of a song. 

11 hours ago, Analogman said:

I have become quite fascinated by various European shows on Netflix this summer:

Bordertown (Finnish)

Dark (German)

Criminal UK, France, Spain, Germany

Signs (Polish)

The Five (UK)

This is where I’ve been spending most of my Netflix time as well. Black Spot is great, too.

11 hours ago, u2roolz said:

I loved Criminal UK’s 1st season. I forgot that season 2 was released last week.

The reason I posted was to ask you the important question: are you watching Dark with the subtitles or dubbed in English? I really want to check that one out. 

I watch everything that I can with subtitles. It’s the best. Lots of times it’ll tell you the artist & name of a song. 

English - 

Dark is a heck of a show - 

11 hours ago, Mr. Heartbreak said:

This is where I’ve been spending most of my Netflix time as well. Black Spot is great, too.

I have not yet watched that one. There is another one I like that I can not think of the name of at the moment. 

I watched a great documentary last night on the NYC record store, Other Music.  It's on Amazon Prime (called "Other Music").  I think everyone who posts on this board would enjoy it. 

14 hours ago, Chez said:

I watched a great documentary last night on the NYC record store, Other Music.  It's on Amazon Prime (called "Other Music").  I think everyone who posts on this board would enjoy it. 

Ha! I watched it last night and really liked it.  I only went in there once and found it somewhat intimidating.  Oddly, the documentary doesn't mention (unless I missed it) that Josh Madell, one of the owners, was the drummer for Antietam for many years.  

21 hours ago, Chez said:

I was a regular customer there for many years and contributed a small amount to the Kickstarter campaign to get the film made.  I am truly not am obscure music snob, and I never felt intimidated there.  I saw a great live set by Calexico there years ago.  I miss that place a lot.

7 hours ago, Oil Can Boyd said:

Ha! I watched it last night and really liked it.  I only went in there once and found it somewhat intimidating.  Oddly, the documentary doesn't mention (unless I missed it) that Josh Madell, one of the owners, was the drummer for Antietam for many years.  

The Antietam connection was never mentioned.  I believe Yo La Tengo has covered/recorded a couple of Antietam songs.