Many polls show Americans want to hear from witnesses in the impeachment trial.  Please consider calling your senators 202-225-3121.  

An interesting take on this from Heather Cox Richardson's daily blog (which I will say once again, EVERYONE should be reading daily):

Indeed, a very smart lawyer I follow on Twitter (but whose account is locked and he had not given permission to name him, so for now let’s leave him anonymous) observed this morning that perhaps even the few GOP Senators who would like to hear witnesses and see documents don't dare to demand them because they are afraid Trump will refuse even them, thus illustrating that they are powerless.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

An interesting take on this from Heather Cox Richardson's daily blog (which I will say once again, EVERYONE should be reading daily):

Indeed, a very smart lawyer I follow on Twitter (but whose account is locked and he had not given permission to name him, so for now let’s leave him anonymous) observed this morning that perhaps even the few GOP Senators who would like to hear witnesses and see documents don't dare to demand them because they are afraid Trump will refuse even them, thus illustrating that they are powerless.

I'm sure this is very true, but when the votes start, alphabetically, and say a Lamar Alexander, whom is retiring at the end of the year, start voting yes, the flood gates could open.  As pessimistic as I am on most days, senators need to hear our voices. 

I'm sure this is very true, but when the votes start, alphabetically, and say a Lamar Alexander, whom is retiring at the end of the year, start voting yes, the flood gates could open.  As pessimistic as I am on most days, senators need to hear our voices. 

I agree and hope you're right.

I agree and hope you're right.

Even if senators vote against impeachment, I really hope we can get the witnesses.   Everyone, please pass this number along.  202-225-3121 - the  prompts take you through everything and you can leave a voice message or talk to a live congressional staff member.  I only give them my first name and zip code and tell them I will not give an address because I do not want political advertisements in my mailbox.

If you didn't have a chance to watch the closing of the impeachment hearings today, Thursday 1/23, please watch at least the last 10 minutes to see how eloquent Adam Schiff was...all while Ted Cruz and Marsha Blackburn showed us what a true disgrace they are.

Heather Cox Richardson's daily blog (which I will say once again, EVERYONE should be reading daily):

Agreed! I eagerly anticipate her posts every single day.

please watch at least the last 10 minutes to see how eloquent Adam Schiff was...all while Ted Cruz and Marsha Blackburn showed us what a true disgrace they are.

He's really so good. I've been listening on public radio to and from work..... some really incoherent yelling Republicans (and a few sloppy Democrats too) have taken the podium in both the House and now the Senate steps of the process. He's so clear, and calm, and focused. If I say Atticus Finch-esque is that too much?

He's really so good. I've been listening on public radio to and from work..... some really incoherent yelling Republicans (and a few sloppy Democrats too) have taken the podium in both the House and now the Senate steps of the process. He's so clear, and calm, and focused. If I say Atticus Finch-esque is that too much?

Not even slightly.  Since I mentioned Heather Cox Richardson...

Atticus Finch is the parallel she drew from yesterday's hearing:

https://heathercoxrichardson.substack.com/

You may consider that what we've seen so far is just  "going through the motions", a hiccup in the inevitable. In the back of mind I can't escape that feeling. But at the end of the day (in my view) the House managers have done about the best they could do so far, given the paucity of cooperation from the WH. I could pick apart stuff where I thought they may have acquiesced  to 'decorum' - whatever the fuck that means in 2020 - and not went with more vehemence, but that might have not have helped their case. It might have made for more of a spectacle in what should ideally be a dreadfully serious matter.

No matter. I think that, if nothing else, they can say, "We didn't abdicate our responsibility. We tried to do what we were elected to do. We know the majority agrees with what we are trying to do". Hakeem, Zoe, everyone gave cogent, rational testimony. But Schiff REALLY made me proud. He left no stone unturned, and not only that he's already gave fantastic rebuttles to every point the other side might make tomorrow and from here on. It was fucking masterful. Cheers, Adam, for the work you do.  :thumbup

A good day for the new DBT release.

Thoughts and Prayers

When the carnage was over you could hear the cellphones ringing
You could smell gunpowder in the air
And on the bloody ground the LEDs were blinking
Deliver us from evil, thoughts and prayers
They're lined up on the playground, their hands all in the air
See it on our news feed and we cry out in despair
They're counting up the casualties, everyone's choosing sides
There's always someone to blame, never anywhere to hide
Thoughts and prayers
Thoughts and prayers
This white noise in my head, I think I need a filter
A pressure valve to keep from blowing up
And when the shit comes down I pray I can rise above it
Hold me closer when I've had enough
Thoughts and prayers
Thoughts and prayers
Glory, hallelujah
You are in our thoughts and prayers
Glory, hallelujah
You

And as more revelations come out of the Bolton book (like the one today that Trump contacted him about Ukraine in May), be prepared for widespread dismissal of it all as just Bolton "trying to sell his book."

If only there was a way to get him to tell his story under oath, under penalty of perjury...

And as more revelations come out of the Bolton book (like the one today that Trump contacted him about Ukraine in May), be prepared for widespread dismissal of it all as just Bolton "trying to sell his book."

If only there was a way to get him to tell his story under oath, under penalty of perjury...

He's trying to sell a book, and their latest (pretty god damn clever, I have to hand it to them) strategy is to tank his book sales. 

Their new line is "We know Trump is guilty.  The House proved it.  But we still oppose a conviction and whatever Bolton has to say in testimony or in print doesn't matter, so there's no point buying his book."

Bolton is and always has been utter shit.  He had a chance to talk and chose to hide behind a rock instead.

Well seriously, fuck Bolton. He's had all the time in the world to come forward and act upon any remaining integrity he might have. He could have said something when it happened. He could have said something when the whistle blower's report came out. He could have said something after he was fired. He could have testified in front of the House. 

He didn't.

And, he's got a book to sell. 

I've been a litigator for over 35 years and have tried dozens of cases.  I've never heard of a "trial" without witnesses or evidence. I hope there are consequences for this sham. For this traves-sham-mockery.  

Not sure I can stomach watching Jay Sekulow taking a victory lap.  Truth be told, a poodle could have replaced Sekulow and obtained the same result. The cake was baked. The deck was stacked. Etc. I need to go listen to the new DBT record.

I've been a litigator for over 35 years and have tried dozens of cases.  I've never heard of a "trial" without witnesses or evidence. I hope there are consequences for this sham. For this traves-sham-mockery.  

You'd think some Senators will be in the hot seat having been on the record as voting against witnesses in a trial.

They've really diminished their office, and I don't mean in the moral way you guys are already right about. If Congress votes to allocate funds and the President ignores it without explanation, that's diminished the Legislative branch. 

I wonder if these Senators feel comfortable with their actions being a precedent, should the Dems ever have an Executive who plays dirty and gets caught.

I wonder if these Senators feel comfortable with their actions being a precedent, should the Dems ever have an Executive who plays dirty and gets caught.

That's not a concern for them.  One thing Republicans are good at is imposing rules and standards on the Democrats that they themselves are not beholden to. 

That's not a concern for them.  One thing Republicans are good at is imposing rules and standards on the Democrats that they themselves are not beholden to. 

And to be fair, Democrats are good at enforcing rules upon themselves that Republicans have happily ignored.