From an outsider's perspective, it's pretty amazing the resistance Bernie is getting even in the democratic party. None of his ideas are that radical. I can understand assbackwards republicans not liking him but the amount of democrats openly treating him like he's some kind of radical is particularly strange. I hope he's successful for you guys, you definitely need someone like him. 

This.  A United States "Liberal" is the current conservative in a lot of countries.  No politician is perfect and the Democratic party needs to start remembering this.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

super delegates are just another way for the DNC to corral and hold power.... the Repubs don't use this, they use delegates chosen by the popular vote. That's the source of Bernie's frustration and I agree with him. 

I feel the same way. There's a bit of rhetorical slight of hand when they say you need a 'majority'; a candidate could have the majority of the delegates but not have 51%, which is not 'the majority'. If having the most delegates is not reason to be the nominee, then what reason should someone else with fewer votes be considered instead?

I feel the same way. There's a bit of rhetorical slight of hand when they say you need a 'majority'; a candidate could have the majority of the delegates but not have 51%, which is not 'the majority'. If having the most delegates is not reason to be the nominee, then what reason should someone else with fewer votes be considered instead?

not sure I understand.  when does "majority" not mean 50%+1?

not sure I understand.  when does "majority" not mean 50%+1?

When it means 'the most', or 'the greater number'. A majority is only 51% when the contest is between two people or groups. Our politics is so binary people have a hard time picturing one winner in a 7-way contest having clearly the most, the majority, and less than 50%.

When it means 'the most', or 'the greater number'. A majority is only 51% when the contest is between two people or groups. Our politics is so binary people have a hard time picturing one winner in a 7-way contest having clearly the most, the majority, and less than 50%.

Right, what you’re talking about is a plurality, not a majority. If a candidate leads the pack with only 30% of the vote because there are so many other people running, that still means that 70% of the voters wanted someone else. That’s why the requirement is 50% plus one. If the candidate is under that threshold, they need to convince enough of the 70% to come over on the second vote to get a true majority.

To me it comes down to this:

Who other than the most popular candidate would be the nomination? Someone with fewer delegates?

As of yesterday the DNC was angling for Sherrod Brown with Michele Obama as VP.

Both Buttigieg and Klobuchar drop out, with Klobuchar endorsing Biden. Biden has barely visited any Super Tuesday states (https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/26/us/politics/joe-biden-california-super-tuesday.html). Warren has backed out of her pledge to not take SuperPAC money. Tomorrow should be an interesting day.

Wow! I thought she was clinging to her purity pretty strongly.  :omg

At this point, she's just in the race to kneecap Bernie Sanders, having put out a press statement that she's staying in the race until the end of March, even though there's no path to the nomination for her.

The thing I try to keep in mind on this board is that, although I agree with the vast majority of opinions expressed, it is not at all representative of possibly half of the electorate. God, there are SO many misinformed/uninformed people who can vote. Y'all are a cut above most any random group of folks. 

There is not a Democrat on earth that would cause me to vote for a Republican instead right now. But that has always been the case for 40 years, anyway. :yes

Well Bloomberg just dropped out. Hope the $500+ millions he spent on his campaign was worth it. Oh wait, he's worth $60+ billion. The amount he spent on his campaign is less than 1% of his net worth. 

yeah, do the math for your own net worth and see what that amount equates to.  not trivial, but also not a loss that would drastically affect your life situation.  crazy.

Trump tweeted insults to Bloomberg about wasting money and called him "Mini Mike". Bloomberg tweeted back Obi-Wan and Darth Vader dueling with light sabers "See you soon, Donald" Lame. You're out of the race, have $60 billion and you're pushing 80. Tweet back "Fuck you, Mushroom Dick". I'm serious. Why does Bloomberg give a shit? It would gain him many new fans.

This thing isn't even over and I'm already exhausted by engaging the social media spout-offs about how the DNC is already screwing Bernie, cheating to get Biden to win, and going to fail.

Biden has gotten more votes! More democratic voters preferred him as their choice on Tuesday. What the hell you need a conspiracy for.... people like him. I don't really know how, but they do. This conspiracy theory crap is all a great way for everyone to stay home in November so they can talk about what an activist they are by sticking it to the democratic party, while somehow doing absolutely nothing. Meanwhile there's no awareness that refusing to hold your nose and vote for a very overripe Uncle Joe means putting far more vulnerable people at risk. In a word: privilege.

Rant over. 

I have serious concerns about either Biden or Sanders surviving the full four years in office.  They both better choose their running mates very thoughtfully and carefully.

My 28 year old colleague wants to know why everyone running for president (including the current president) is old enough to be her grandfather.  I wonder the same thing.

Why are the old guys the only ones left standing?  I’ve been a huge Bernie fan for many years, since long before he ever considered running for president, but even I think he is too old.  Joe Biden does not look well to me.

I have serious concerns about either Biden or Sanders surviving the full four years in office.  They both better choose their running mates very thoughtfully and carefully.

My 28 year old colleague wants to know why everyone running for president (including the current president) is old enough to be her grandfather.  I wonder the same thing.

Why are the old guys the only ones left standing?  I’ve been a huge Bernie fan for many years, since long before he ever considered running for president, but even I think he is too old.  Joe Biden does not look well to me.

Pretty simple answer.  Lots of younger candidates were in the race -- Mayor Pete, Beto, Kamala Harris, Booker, Yang, Gabbard, Gillibrand.  They couldn't get the votes or raise the cash to stay in the race so they dropped out. 

This thing isn't even over and I'm already exhausted by engaging the social media spout-offs about how the DNC is already screwing Bernie, cheating to get Biden to win, and going to fail.

The only thing screwing Bernie so far is that the young voters who love him aren't showing up at the primary polls. 

Geezers vote. Kids don't. That's been true for the 30+ years I've been able to vote. I haven't always voted in primaries, but I've never missed a general election. 

Thinking about a race that began with African-Amerians, an Asian, a gay man, and a huge swath of diversity in terms of age and experience has come down to two old guys who've spent a big chunk of their career in the Senate is depressing.

Thinking about a race that began with African-Amerians, an Asian, a gay man, and a huge swath of diversity in terms of age and experience has come down to two old guys who've spent a big chunk of their career in the Senate is depressing.

Sanders is "only" in his 3rd term as Senator. But - he was in the House for 8 terms. (1991-2006).

But, your point stands. 

Old white guys. 

Biden has gotten more votes! More democratic voters preferred him as their choice on Tuesday. What the hell you need a conspiracy for.... people like him. I don't really know how, but they do. This conspiracy theory crap is all a great way for everyone to stay home in November so they can talk about what an activist they are by sticking it to the democratic party, while somehow doing absolutely nothing. Meanwhile there's no awareness that refusing to hold your nose and vote for a very overripe Uncle Joe means putting far more vulnerable people at risk. In a word: privilege.

Rant over. 

i don't see it as a conspiracy, i see it as the moderate DNC getting their guy to be the front-runner, and the timing of Buttigieg and Klobuchar's suspension of their candidacy, 24-48 hr before Super Tuesday, helped Biden immeasurably.  Had Warren done the same, it would have helped Sanders but not to same extent.